Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Porsche 997 S, that I’ve only really had for a 3 or 4 months, and am thinking of selling it and getting an F430. I’m not a rich guy, but I have some collectibles that I’m going to sell and use the money for the car, so I can’t just buy a car for that much and decide that I don’t like it and trade it in for something else, partly because it would just waste all that sales tax…. And partly because these cars don’t go up in value and I can’t take that hit either… I thought about getting a 360 but it doesn’t appear to make sense (to me) and I thought about getting a Gallardo if I can’t raise enough money to buy the F430 but I’d be in the same boat I think….

My concern is that I’m going to spend all this money on a car and in a year or two, the new model is going to come out, and boom, my car is now outdated and I lose a ton of money….

So what do I do? I know there’s always going to be a new model for every kind of car at some point, but it appears that I’m at the mid-point or beyond of the model, and by the time I raise the money to buy the car and find one, it’s going to be nearing 2008… Should I buy one now (or by the end of the year) and just deal with it, or drive the Porsche for another couple years, take the $$$ hit on that, and buy the new model of the F430???????

When is the predecessor to the F430 coming out and will it be the end of the decade before they are even readily available and affordable (to me)?

Thanks!

Marc

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
If you are looking at this as an investment, suggest you take a look at an article in the last issue of the FL's magazine. You can download it from the Library tag on top.

On any new (ex F40, F50, Enzo) Ferrari, you will drop 50-75% of the sticker price in the 1st decade.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Marc,

The replacement for the F430 is probably 6 years away. If you plan to keep the car for that long or longer it would make sense. Sure in 8 years when you sell it you'll have depreciated the car. But during those 8 years you owned an F430 at about $20/year.

If you want to get something that has less room to depreciate I would look at the F355. It is still going down but you won't lose as much in sheer dollars because your basis is much lower (1/2 - 1/3).

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
V10 middie in 2010 ?

I read in the UK auto press that the 420 Dino should be out in 2009/2010, and at that point the 430 is going to be replaced by a V10 550BHP beast. Don't know how much truth there is in it, but that would suggest 3 to 4 yrs tops for the 430.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Porsche 997 S, that I’ve only really had for a 3 or 4 months, and am thinking of selling it and getting an F430. I’m not a rich guy, but I have some collectibles that I’m going to sell and use the money for the car, so I can’t just buy a car for that much and decide that I don’t like it and trade it in for something else, partly because it would just waste all that sales tax…. And partly because these cars don’t go up in value and I can’t take that hit either… I thought about getting a 360 but it doesn’t appear to make sense (to me) and I thought about getting a Gallardo if I can’t raise enough money to buy the F430 but I’d be in the same boat I think….

My concern is that I’m going to spend all this money on a car and in a year or two, the new model is going to come out, and boom, my car is now outdated and I lose a ton of money….

So what do I do? I know there’s always going to be a new model for every kind of car at some point, but it appears that I’m at the mid-point or beyond of the model, and by the time I raise the money to buy the car and find one, it’s going to be nearing 2008… Should I buy one now (or by the end of the year) and just deal with it, or drive the Porsche for another couple years, take the $$$ hit on that, and buy the new model of the F430???????

When is the predecessor to the F430 coming out and will it be the end of the decade before they are even readily available and affordable (to me)?

Thanks!

Marc
Marc,I felt the same,I had a 97 993 twin turbo,I decided to keep the twin for i believe they will increase in value in time,but i couldn't resist the 430 so I now own both the 430 is awsome,buy the coupe Because I believe they will hold ther value better,in fact they already jumped in value.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts