Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused so i am looking for someone to straighten me out. I purchased the Ferrari Life book a few months ago since i am planning on purchasing a Ferrari 355 within the next year. I have been doing quite a bit of ready here. This is the best Ferrari based website i have ever been on, thank you guys very much for the great collection on information.

On to my question, i understand there are a few different models the 355 comes in. The GTB, GTS, and the Spyder. Does GTB stand for hard top/Berlinetta model?
Same with GTS-does that stand for the targa top model? Or is it a "faster" model? Im trying to type this out in a way that isnt confusing:confused: But i am confused!

From what I've read it comes in a hard top, targa top and a convertible. I want a hard top. Hopefully someone will kind of understand where im coming from and be able to straighten me out.

Thank You very much.

Mike G
Omaha, Ne

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike, good luck with the search. That is my absolute favorite car....well the spider version.

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dear Mike G.

Here`s the real answer to your question.

- 355 Spider are for those who just love poseing with their car.
- 355 GTS are for those trying to hide they love poseing...
- 355 Berlinetta are for those buying the Ferrari for it`s purpose.

Just kidding!

Good luck on your search..

And for those who say searching for the car it`s half the fun, don`t even bother listning to them. DRIVING IT IS ALL THE FUN!!!

Best regards
C.Phillip
Norway

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If your greater than 6 feet tall you should seriously consider the Ts or Spider. Mechanically they are all the same. Spider can't go on the track with an additional roll bar, Berlinetta's are gonna piss you off with slight touches on the hairline (if your so fortunate to still have one) and mix the music with engine noises. Targa is best of both world and you won't care if the A/C dies.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
If your greater than 6 feet tall you should seriously consider the Ts or Spider. Mechanically they are all the same. Spider can't go on the track with an additional roll bar, Berlinetta's are gonna piss you off with slight touches on the hairline (if your so fortunate to still have one) and mix the music with engine noises. Targa is best of both world and you won't care if the A/C dies.
The GTS is a great compromise between the Berlinetta and Spider. Only issue is that they tend to leak from the front corner seals in heavy rain. Body also flexes a bit more than a GTB if you are planning on tracking it.

Other main difference is between the 95 and 96 model years when they moved from Bosch Motronic 2.7 to 5.2. The earlier cars have slightly more bhp.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hmmm...348's shifted from Bosch 2.7 to 5.2 in 1992ish. Are you sure the early 355's had a 2.7?

The 95 year seem to be the most popular 355's. I'm not sure if its due to the valve guide issue or something else that degraded in later years. Perhaps its just the BHP shift,

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hmmm...348's shifted from Bosch 2.7 to 5.2 in 1992ish. Are you sure the early 355's had a 2.7?

The 95 year seem to be the most popular 355's. I'm not sure if its due to the valve guide issue or something else that degraded in later years. Perhaps its just the BHP shift,
Positive on the 95s F355s being Bosch 2.7 (mine certainly was). 96 onwards were 5.2. The dreaded valve guide issue (or myth depending on who you talk to) mostly effected 94-96 F355s.

Not 100% sure on 348s. My guess would be that 89-91 were Bosch 2.5 and 92-94 348s were Bosch 2.7.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The GTS is a great compromise between the Berlinetta and Spider. Only issue is that they tend to leak from the front corner seals in heavy rain. Body also flexes a bit more than a GTB if you are planning on tracking it.

Other main difference is between the 95 and 96 model years when they moved from Bosch Motronic 2.7 to 5.2. The earlier cars have slightly more bhp.

Thank you guys very much for the information. I am definitely looking for a GTB, because i am going for a very street able track car :D

Now, what i am looking for is this:
355 GTB
6-speed
Red exterior, tan interior
Less than 30,000 miles
Preferably no more than 2 owners
Must have all service records
No collision work
Less than $60,000

Or something like this but with a 6-speed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___F1-Berlinetta-ONLY-6062-miles_W0QQitemZ280249725125QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280249725125&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&timeout=1218473319750

Is that possible?

Thanks again,

Mike G.
Omaha. NE

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Thank you guys very much for the information. I am definitely looking for a GTB, because i am going for a very street able track car :D

Now, what i am looking for is this:
355 GTB
6-speed
Red exterior, tan interior
Less than 30,000 miles
Preferably no more than 2 owners
Must have all service records
No collision work
Less than $60,000

Or something like this but with a 6-speed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___F1-Berlinetta-ONLY-6062-miles_W0QQitemZ280249725125QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280249725125&_trkparms=39:1|65:10|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&timeout=1218473319750

Is that possible?

Thanks again,

Mike G.
Omaha. NE
Should not be a problem finding one. Suggest you ask for help via the FerrariLife search assistance;

http://www.ferrarilife.com/classified/

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good Luck

Do not buy the Spyder! the roof is no good over time it leaks and automatic up and down always a let down after a while trust me i know i have one!!! BUT the F355 spyder is one of the best looking convertiable of all time, but still don't buy a spyder!!! Good luck if you do!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i understand there are a few different models the 355 comes in. The GTB, GTS, and the Spyder. Does GTB stand for hard top/Berlinetta model?
Same with GTS-does that stand for the targa top model? From what I've read it comes in a hard top, targa top and a convertible. I want a hard top.
Thank You very much.
Mike G
Omaha, Ne
Hi Mike, hope your search for the F355 is coming on nicely. I have uploaded some pics for you of the 3 different types of F355's. The first pic is of the GTB, the second is the GTS and the third is the Spider :) For me personally I love the GTB version.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hi Mike, hope your search for the F355 is coming on nicely. I have uploaded some pics for you of the 3 different types of F355's. The first pic is of the GTB, the second is the GTS and the third is the Spider :) For me personally I love the GTB version.
Mike there is nothing on the road that is sexier then the 348/355 Spider period.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mike there is nothing on the road that is sexier then the 348/355 Spider period.
Night Life, I agree, the 348/355 are both very sexy spiders out on the road today amongst other Ferrari spiders, but for me I prefer to have a hard top over my head. I like the smooth flow of the car's design when looking at it from the side :) I'm also one that would enjoy taking my Ferrari to track days. Here in S.A the Ferrari owners club holds a ''Ferrari Day'' at a local race track and with a spider the experience just wont be the same to open her up around a track as it would with a Berlinetta. This is just how I feel. If one is not going to track events then the spider or GTS would be great :)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I agree with Night Life....but I bet you knew that;)

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts