Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a black 20k car in Chicago and drove it back to Dallas, seems to run great and everything works, I'm loving it, but... The slow down 1-6 light comes on sometimes, even when I first start the car, sensor? It seems to never come on when you'd think it might, like when I beating the hell out of it on Central. And, does this car have a rev-limiter, or should I be extra carefull shifting so as not to overrev it. Car still has the original tires and orig. owner did the 30k service.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The slow down light is triggered by the thermo-couple sensors in the catalytic convertors. Perhaps one of them is bad? If you look at the cats you will see the O2 sensors (big) and the thermo-couples (small) screwed into them. I would guess it's a bad thermo-couple. You could unhook it from the "brain" box located near the shock towers on the right rear inner fender area...just follow the wires. If you do unhook it be aware that if a cat does overheat you can have problems or worse....the dreaded cat-fire....very scary thought. There is a rev limiter on TRs but I don't know at what rpm. Just exercise some restraint and don't rev beyond redline on the tach. These boxer motors are strong but there's no need to test it by over-reving. If the original tires are indeed on the car you should consider replacing them very soon. They may "look" fine but many times rubber can deteriorate from the inside out. I wouldn't do any high speed driving until new tires are installed. Lastly....congradulations on getting your TR. One of the greatest Ferraris ever in my much-biased opinion.....I have one too! They are terrific cars!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
congratulations with the car and welcome to the forum. I also think you should replace your tires. I would assume they dry out after some time, and driving at high speeds when one of your tires fail won't be pretty.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Congratulations on the TR. Couple of quick comments, I would definitely replace the tires immediately and the TR does have a rev limiter. If you stay out of the red zone on the tach you will not run into problems. The rev limiter only works when moving up through the gear box, not when you are downshifting so you do need to be aware of your rpms when shifting down.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
lucaslawfirm said:
The slow down 1-6 light comes on
Not a Ferrari owner yet but what the hell is a slow down 1-6 light ??????

·
Registered
43 Posts
magnum6464 said:
lucaslawfirm said:
The slow down 1-6 light comes on
Not a Ferrari owner yet but what the hell is a slow down 1-6 light ??????

It's a light that signals (usually) that the cat temp is too hot on the cat on the first bank of cylinders (cylinders 1,2,3,4,5,6). Part of what it's supposed to prevent, in addition to other things, is a cat fire from unburnt fuel possibly igniting in a overly heated catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Thanks,

I felt a little stupid in asking but thanks :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
magnum6464 said:
Thanks,

I felt a little stupid in asking but thanks :roll:
Don't worry. Wait until you get a 355 and ask how to turn on the a/c compressor or how to work the ventilation system in a 328. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes....you gotta LOVE these Italian cars! There is nothing else like it. After a hard days work, when I'm feeling low. I go out into my garage and the first thing I see is a large piece of artwork made out of aluminum and steel. I stand there marveling at it's shape, straight lines and curves all working in harmony...just beautiful. Then I open the door carefully and slowly plop my butt into the driver's seat. The smell of all that leather is wonderful. I then twist the key and the motor fires up after a "whirring" of the starter and settles into a fast-idle for about a minute. I sit there listening the the 12-cylinder "puuuurrrrrrrrr" throbbing through the Borla exhaust.....what a motor!! I tap the gas pedal and the tach needle responds immediately...and then the motor settles down to a nice low growl. I back out of the garage and let the car idle another 30 seconds or so and then proceed gently down the road, watching the "vital signs" of this "living machine" telling me how she's feeling. People stop in their tracks to look, some wave, some give a thumbs-up, and others just have an open-jawed stare. It's then that I realize just how lucky I am to be driving a piece of automotive sculpture and history. A car based on a passion for living instead of the daily grind and getting from point A to point B. There is nothing.......NOTHING.....like driving a Ferrari.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts