Ferrari Life Forum banner

721 - 740 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
A while back I was manually cleaning my cylinder heads. Very daunting task. I had spent about 6 hours on one head and I'm not done. I was very tempted to glass bead them but don't want want to hurt machined surfaces or risk not getting all media washed out. David had suggested dry ice blasting offline.

I just did some searching and we have a mobile company in our area. I just called and spoke with the owner and he lives 1/2 mile from me :)

He's going to come to my shop and give it a try. Of course I will have him do some test blasting for me before I turn him loose on the heads.

He tells me the dry ice does not harm any surface like abrasive blasting.

I'm really excited to see this in action as I would also do my engine block and gear box housing.

Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ice blasting works great. Our state regs force us to use it a lot for air pollution reasons.
A bit expensive for a nice setup so having a guy close is good.

They use it for mold removal, fire restoration and machinery cleaning

Works great to chill a beer too:laugh2:

·
Registered
159 Posts
You have a lot of great guys near you Dave
Plating, cleaning, leather work, powder coating, painting, etc....

Very nice

Good to see the thread updated

When's the crankshaft comin out?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
Stopped to see biker powder coat guy this morning. I really like this guy - he is super cool and tolerates my OCD :)

A few weeks ago we landed a good match to the OEM airbox finish so now he is preparing the air boxes for 2 of my cars. He was having a bitch of a time stripping the factory coating so I suggested lacquer thinner. He mixed lacquer thinner in with the stripper and now it's working but takes 2-3 days.

Here are the results

Attachments

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
When's the crankshaft comin out?
Howard,

I've got lots of work to do yet. I need to leak down my bottom end and I'm going to make a science project out of it back checking the leak rate at various positions within the stroke. I might also play around and do a bottom end only compression test as I like the dynamic checking. I've got to build some tools to do this.

And, I've not decided if I will pull the crank out or not. I need to get my other car done and then I will get back to this project :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Working with Johann to get the proper Debossed horse for the head rests... Note, the lighting is poor in these photos which is washing out the color...
Dave
Great to see this

Now I know whenever i get a full retrim i can send my headrest covers somewhere for this important detail...most retrimmers cannot do this over here

·
Registered
159 Posts
Howard, Johann already knows I'm nuts and have OCD :)

I've asked him if we can get a better match. I might have to purchase some tooling to do so and I will gladly do that as I'm all about 99-100% factory correct restoration.
I'm with you..

Keep on truckin'

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dave I thought I read somewhere you got some floor mats where the color match was perfect but without the rubber inserts.
Did you ever think about cutting the old rubber inserts out and stiching them into the new mats to make a new mat with old rubber.
The reason I ask is the rubber seems pretty good shape on mine.

Maybe I will have to try it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Hi Grant,

Yes, for my other car with black interior, Johann made me a set of mats without heel pads. But for this car, he is going to take the heel pads from the original mats and use them on the new ones.

He already sent me a sample of the Castoro carpet and binding - it's very nice. I'll take a pic and post later.

In reference to the horse for the headrest, he said he has never been able to have anyone make a proper die to match the OEM horse so we are now on that task and I'm confident we will find a supplier to make the die and we will supply the art work :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #737
Here is the sample of the Castoro carpet and 2 options for binding.

The darker brown is trhe binding I will select as it's the closest to the OEM.

Also attached is a sample with the stitch thread Johann found to match to the OEM stitches for me - it's very good.

Please keep in mind the camera does not do the best job to capture true colors...

Attachments

721 - 740 of 760 Posts