·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys know, I took delivery of my second 355 on 11/2/2014:

1995 F355 Berlinetta, Rosso Corsa 300 / Beige 4208
VIN: 100386, Assembly: 17344, September 94 build date
Current miles: 26010

This is a very early production 355 and I'm excited to have an early part of the 355 history.

This car has been driven only 22 miles in the past 6 years. The interior is extremely filthy and it certainly needs a major service as well as other mechanical and cosmetic work.

The valve guides has been changed but by a 1 man, unknown shop so I will be inspecting the work.

I've decided to start with the interior since I just cannot stand to look at the dirt and I want to get the leather conditioned as soon as possible to save whatever I can.

Goals and Objectives:

The plan is to restore this car to original condition, to the highest level of pristine that is practical. I have no plans to repaint the car although I will be doing a full paint correction which I believe will really bring the finish back to life.

The interior will get fully dissembled, including removal of the carpets to properly clean them.

My objective is to restore every part that is practical instead of replacing with new. Obviously, some new parts will be required. But, the first attempt will be to salvage whatever possible.

This project is about blood, sweat (hopefully no tears) and the limiting of cash outlay. Whatever work I can do myself, I will.

I'm looking forward to this journey as I learn more about these awesome machines.

I'll be sure to tap into the respected wealth of knowledge on this board.

I'll be keeping a log of my time and certainly a tally of parts and costs.

Stay Tuned

Attachments

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Dave, due respect for your passion and will power to take on this journey. Your sharing with all of us is much appreciated. Looking forward to it.

I for one is not as talented as you, I only owned a 355 for few years back then. Wonderful and a beauty.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dave,

Looking forward to following the progress on the entire restoration.

Robb

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Dave:

Thank you for sharing your project. When I see the energy and care people put into restoring their beloved automobiles, I find similarities to the artists who built the great cathedrals of the world, in that it seems like a devotional effort rooted more in building a relationship with the object than an economic endeavor. What I do not understand is how anyone could sell a car they restored to a stranger. Selling to a friend I can understand. Gifting a restored car to a child, I also understand. But to lovingly bring a tired dirty old car back to pristine condition, and then say goodbye forever is not something i could do.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Much of the work is underway so the thread is not yet real time. Over the next couple of days, I'll bring this thread up to date and continue on from there.

Thanks guys!
Hi Dave
Its nice that your thread is open again i liked all your photo's.
I hope all is well.
Michael TR512 FC

1 - 20 of 760 Posts