Ferrari Life Forum banner

Pricing

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cetro 
#1 ·
I just got in the market for a F355 Berlinetta 6spd and i was wondering can you guys give me some idea of how much they should be going for. I live in Los Angeles, CA. I'm going to take a look at a 97 with about 10,000 miles and the asking price is $74,900. He is the second owner with all the books and records. He claims the car is in excellent condition in and out. Is this a good price?
Thanks

#3 ·
When buying mine, I discovered that the car had had its 30,000 mile work. The only problem was not everything which was to be done was. I assumed that because the service was done at a dealership, everything was done.

$6,500 later, I read the invoices. They did say what was done. If I had read them BEFORE buying it, I would have saved some money.
Don't just accept the paperwork, read it.

:evil:

#9 ·
cetro said:
...What's needs to be done at the 30,000 miles service...
Typical items normally looked at/serviced/replaced/etc at the 30K service would be:

-Engine oil & filter change (tranny oil as well)
-Fuel and air filter change
-Fuel injection system checks and adjustments
-Spark plugs, caps and wires changed
-A/C system checks and top-up of refrigerant if necessary.
-Valves adjusted (if I'm not mistaken, 355's use hydraulic tappets, so I'm not sure if adjustment would be done. An inspection of the valvetrain would be done at least I would think...)
-Chassis lube
-Replacement of accessory belts (ie: water pump, alternator, etc)
-Replacement of timing belt and tensioners
-Replacement of cam seals
-Water pump rebuilt or replaced
-Road test

I hope this gives you some sort-of idea of what's involved... Keep in mind, the clutch may also be adjusted and/or replaced at this time too.

#11 ·
Enzo250GTO"Cetro,

Most F355s are still going for $85,000-$110,000 respectively.
Actually, no, they are not. Most 355s have asking prices of $85-$110k, but that's generally what they don't sell for.

Coupes, can be had for even much less than $79k. The best advice I got (which has worked for me) was go to a few dealers, and ask them what they'd write you a check for if you brought your car (the car you want, i.e. a 355 coupe) in right now (not a trade in, but an outright sell). That's your bargaining chip with other owners.

Doesn't mean that every owner will roll over and sell at wholesale pricing, but if you look hard enough, you'll find that car for a low price. And I mean a good car, not a car that needs a bunch of work or is in poor shape.

There are a glut of F-cars on the market right now, especially 355s. There's a ton of 'em in the Ferrari Market Letter, and all over the U.S. for sale.

#12 ·
I thought i would give you guys an update on my purchase. That was one waist of a trip. I was so pissed off at the guy. Here is his exact words "Absolutely Flawless Inside and Out." I open the door and i could not believe what i saw. The enitre interior looked like it had about 80,000 miles on it. The guy didnt even have floor mats. Everything and I mean everthing was scratched or scuffed. To top it all off he keeps the car outside in that vegas heat. The car had no shine at all. What a waist.
I guess my search continues. I prefer yellow over black anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.