Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Im a Porsche man to date though Ive always fancied a 308.
I like to use the 911 as often as possible, though not so much since I started ripping her guts out. http://www.red964.com/html/.

Has anyone here made the transition from 911 to 308, got any observations.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
red964 said:
Hello All,
I like to use the 911 as often as possible, though not so much since I started ripping her guts out. http://www.red964.com/html/.

Hello and welcome to the forum. What year 911 do you have? This will make a big difference in the transition. The 308 is 20+ years old so if you are comparing a newer 911 to the 308 you might find the 308 lacks power.

I've driven a 911 Carrera 4 (1989 and 1996 versions) and a 308. All are very different cars. The 308 is special and will turn heads. I remember doing a Sunday drive in the 911 and passing 3 or 4 other 911s that day. Not that that is a bad thing, just an observation. The 911s are certainly more gentle cars too. The clutch won't wear out your left foot in the 911 like a 308 will, and the lack of power steering in the 308 will make you tired if you park a lot in a day. The 308's interior is more exotic and you feel like you are in a classic exotic car. The gated shifter is just an awesome site everytime you shift and the sound of the 308 does beat out the 911 (at least the 89 I drove, the 993s are about tied).

The last and most obvious is that the 308 doesn't make a great daily driver, its just to old and lacks all the modern luxuries we've grown used to whereas a newer 911 is a great daily driver.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove the 308 this summer. It was very impressive how much feel and emotion this car creates. You need to compare it with the 911 RS 2.7 which has smiliar flair. However, I was amaced of the (subjective) speed, the noise and steering feel. Consider that the 308 is cheap, it represents excellent value for money.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I would buy a 308 just to have what I consider one of the most beautiful cars ever made! 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 94 911 Turbo look C4 and a 78 308 GT4 unfortunately 3500 miles apart roughly. 308 is in the UK.

As the others have said its hard to compare the 2 directly - especially the more "modern" 964. On the other hand there are very strong similarities ie both look fantastic, both handle as if on rails, and both have similar performance (on paper at least). The main diff I notice is that the 308 feels much lighter and more direct. More like a roller skate compared to my C4. For the same reason I know which one I'd rather be driving in the case of an accident. The Porsche is completely solid and put together like a modern production car. The 308 was built at a time when they were almost made up on the assembly line as they went along - no 2 parts are the same from one car to another and the build "quality" is different from our northern european friends.

The main similarity is that both put an ear to ear grin on my face even before I get in and once underway they are both a total joy.

All IMHO of course!

Cheers

·
Registered
439 Posts
911 to 308

I had four 911s (1968 911s 2.0, 1973 911 2.7 RS Replica, 1980 911 SC, 1984 3.2 Carrera) and from there went into a 308 GTSi.

I used the 911s every day and raced them in Porsche club events. They are remarkably competent and useable cars. I will definitely own more 911s in the future.

The 308 on the other hand was (I have since sold her due to the birth of my first child), whilst reliable, not useable in the real world sense. I had perfect, unmarked paintwork and was always concerned about people opening their doors onto the car. In addition, I never once took the car near my office, and actually only told a few people that I owned the Ferrari. My CEO preferred to have it that way. It seems that the stigma of the car being a "Ferrari" makes it difficult for some people to accept that a young person actually owns one.

Overall, the Ferrari is truly exotic and evokes a great deal of emotion from the owner and if you haven't ever owned one, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few months ago, as I pulled up to a light, who was beside me, but a black 911. We looked at each other and he said, 'Now this doesn't happen every day'. Here we were side by side waiting for the light to turn. Well, the light turned green and he peeled off. Which was only to the next block and another red light. I took my time and met him again at the light. This time when the light turned green, I lit up the rear end to the next red light. When he finally pulled up to me, he said, 'Man, I love the sound of your beast, I have to get one.' We parted company when the light turned. He went left and I went right.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
red964 said:
Hello All,

Not quite the answer to your question, but I went from a 911/993 C4 to a F355. The 993 was a very fast well made car. The F355 is a totally different and much more involving experience. Not quite as reliable as the Porsche, but much more fun to drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts