Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Porsche tech and owner since the 80's. I currently own and track 2 Porsches. I have been in the market for a new car for about a month. But no Porsche seems to get my attention.
Being that I'm looking at Ferrari for the first time, the only thing I've got to go on it price. It seems at the 348 appeals to me both financially and astetically. I'm looking to be in the low to mid 40K range.

Now the questions:
Is this a good first owner F-car? How reliable is this car? How maintinence conscience are these cars? How good are these cars as a daily driver? Since I was a P-tech I like working on my own car. How friendly are these cars to the techs?

Thanks,
Armando

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Confused said:
I've been a Porsche tech and owner since the 80's. I currently own and track 2 Porsches. I have been in the market for a new car for about a month. But no Porsche seems to get my attention.
Being that I'm looking at Ferrari for the first time, the only thing I've got to go on it price. It seems at the 348 appeals to me both financially and astetically. I'm looking to be in the low to mid 40K range.

Now the questions:
Is this a good first owner F-car? How reliable is this car? How maintinence conscience are these cars? How good are these cars as a daily driver? Since I was a P-tech I like working on my own car. How friendly are these cars to the techs?

Thanks,
Armando
Welcome to Ferrari Life.

While there are a small number of 348 owners that will swear by their car I would look at a late 328 first. The 348 will have more problems in the long run than the 328. If you compare the two cars the 348 handles better than the 328. On the looks I would have to say that the 328 looks better (subjective of course).

To answer your questions in more detail:

1. It isn't a bad first owners car
2. It is not the most reliable Ferrari to be built. For the U.S. market you'll want the Spider. Europe the GTB/GTS. These models had a lot of the early bugs fixed
3. You will need to take care of it
4. I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver. It is not a reliable daily driver like a 911.
5. Not sure about how Tech friendly. In the Library there are a number of Technical articles on the 348 and some of its fixes.

I would also suggest the 348 Buyer's Guide, also found in the Library.

I hope this helps and wish you luck on your 348 search!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts