Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at the boatyard today and I run into a guy I hadn't seen in 10 years. He and I used to hang out and work together, etc. Way back when. Anyway he's wearing this red polo shirt with the scuderia shield on it. So after we catch up a bit I say, "I see you've got your Ferrari shirt on." He was like, "I'm impressed, not many people know what that emblem is." (Remember, this is Maine). So I say, "Yeah, I've got a Ferrari." That got his attention. He's like, "Really?" I say, "Yeah, it's a '79 308 GTS." I can see the gears turning as he's tryng to place the car so I add, "The Magnum PI car." Now he's got it. "Oh. The poor man's Ferrari." Then he went on to tell me about his boss who had bought this one Ferrari and didn't like it and traded it in for another Ferrari but he really didn't have a clue when I asked about which models. As near as I could gather, his boss ended up with a 550. Then he proceeded to rave on this Mercedes he was driving. He pointed it out to me, it was a 20 year old, mostly silver 300TD station wagon that someone gave him and he was complaining to me about how expensive the body components were. I told him that my wife had the sedan version of his car but hers was a little bit newer and left it at that.

So anyway, I thought that was kind of rude. The guy has a nice Ferrari polo shirt and drives a dented old MB, I don't have a Ferrari polo shirt but I do have a Ferrari.

So don't buy a polo shirt and tell me I drive a poor man's car. I guess it just kind of struck a nerve with me. I hadn't seen the guy in 10 years and instead of congratulating me on being able to afford any Ferrari, he kind of put me down for getting the poor man's version.

I'm not rich, I never claim to be and never pretend to be. But I work hard and pay cash for everything. (except the house). "If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it" that's my motto. Cars, Boats, trailers, ATVs', tools and equipment, Everything I own is free and clear. Who's rich now?

Sorry if I sound condescending, I guess I was just a little upset when someone belittled everything I had accomplished over 10 years with 3 words: Poor Man's Ferrari.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pete04222 said:
... I guess I was just a little upset when someone belittled everything I had accomplished over 10 years with 3 words: Poor Man's Ferrari.
Some people feel better when they are able to belittle others, or at least try to make others feel 'less than.'

Frankly, i bet deep inside he is very jealous. In the end it matters not what others say, as the smiles the 308 brings YOU is all that matters :)

BTW: in my industry there is this one writer/reviewer who belittled me, my work, and of course the car. To make a long story short, f--- what others say as life here is awesome and looking forward to this coming weekend's Ferrari event at Lime Rock, more race days planned afterwards... and ALSO September 1, 2, and 3 at Watkins Glen. Peter, you and your lovely wife really should attend the Watkins Glen event. Below are a few photos i know your wife may enjoy :)

PS: we can also meet at NHIS again on September 27th from 8am to 12pm if you want, but frinkly would rather see YOU on track at Watkins Glen in September.

CORRECTION: three photos below are from Lime Rock event in June, while the two remaining are from Watkins Glen in May.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bart said:
Maybe that is why you have not seen him in 10 years.
:)
Bart, your wisdom is true. He's in the same place I left him 10 years ago. I moved on, he didn't.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
What a total loser. I am not sure how I would have handled it, I would have been pissed as hell to hear that though. Two things are certain:

1. He is a poser
2. He will never own a Ferrari and will remain a poser

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
What a nerd

There's nothing wrong with you Captain Pete. Don't let a nerd like that upset you and don't call him your friend. That is not a friend, not even a gentleman with common decency. So let it be. There's enough of those nerds out there. I don't ever think there is such a thing as poor man's Ferrari. That is a phrase used by those who are only jealous and do not know what they are talking about. Jimmy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bart said:
Maybe that is why you have not seen him in 10 years.

:)
Haha, good one Bart.

Pete, that is quite rude of him. Afterall, what Ferrari can be afforded by a poor man? None.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thats definately rediculous. Some people have no class at all. Your car is gorgeous, certainly worthy of the Ferrari badge.

Hopefully its obvious enough to you that hes out of line.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's all relative isn't it? Were I to drive a 80 million dollar car... I'd call any car a poor man's car. When I drive my dad's Fiat 500... I call any other guy a poor man because I just love that car.

So don't get upset... it's YOUR car... and even though it's a ferrari (which is never good), and even though you're captain of the Enterprise (which is even worse)... I lost track of what I was gonna say :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think its more the dorogatory conotation that was implied. regardless of the insult its just not cool to put down another mans car, especially a 308 ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely blow that loser off. Just another wannabe with nothing but a t-shirt to show for it (or as we say here in Texas, all hat no cattle). The 308 is one of the best cars Ferrari ever made (I have one myself and may be a bit biased). I value it even more because it didn't cost me 200K to obtain in the first place.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too must agree with what's been said. There are Ferraris that cost less than others, but there is no such thing as a "poor man's Ferrari" !!!!!!!!!!

I'm very very very very fortunate to own a Testarossa (my 2nd one) but have been bitten by the 308 but something awful. I now live, dream, eat, and sleep 308s. In fact less than 30 minutes drive from me there is supposedly one of the several Magnum P.I. tv show cars for sale, a 1980 GTSi for the reasonable price of $28k. I've checked it out and it looks very good except for the seats.....they need some work. But every other inch of the car is near top shape.

The 308 is just now hitting it's stride in the market. And I truly hope to own one some day soon....withing the next 2 years or so. They are timeless in design. They are tossable on the track. They are built solid as a rock. What's not to love about them !!

When ever somebody cuts you down....it's only a way for them to elevate themselves. Nothing more. If they were truly secure and content with who they are....they would be happy for you and tell you so. So his comments were obviously a cry for help....he needs to learn to appreciate who he is now and work his way in the direction he want's to go. I actually feel sorry for him because he has no idea where he's at or why......

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All hat and no cattle. I love that. Awesome saying Gooner! I think I'll be using that one in the future. A lot of good things come out of Texas. Clever sayings is one of them!

And Thanks everyone! You guys rule!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Not to insult any owner of any care but didn't they used to call the Corvette a poor man's ferrari?

Or was it the 280Z? Can't remember but there was a car that was NOT a ferrari that was called "The Poor Man's ferrari"

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard of both the Pontiac Fiero and the Fiat X1/9 referred to as the "Poor Man's Ferrari". I could see it on the X1/9 where it has the Bertone styled body.

The other day was the first time I'd heard the term used in reference to a 308. (My 308 specifically.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe a good come back when he said this to ya would have been. Well i didnt know what to spend my extra $30,000 bonus on after 6 weeks working away. So i fanced a ferrari. :D That would have left him feeling under acheved;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Who cares what the guy says at all it sounds like he was jelous, a classic psycological defense. Although this perticular defense is much more obvious in it's natural habitat.... The elementry school.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Then he went on to tell me about his boss who had bought this one Ferrari and didn't like it and traded it in for another Ferrari but he really didn't have a clue when I asked about which models. As near as I could gather, his boss ended up with a 550.
Well, no offense, but anybody with a boss rarely drives a Ferrari. Hands down.

Pete04222 said:
Then he proceeded to rave on this Mercedes he was driving.
Well, you don't think he's gonna talk about a Ferrari he can't afford now do you?

As well, I don't want to sound condesending aswell, but I mean c'mon. Anybody can be appreciative of a brand new 360 Modena, but it takes real class and knowledge to enjoy an older vintage. I look at Ferrari's as Fine wines, yeah they're great out of the box, but they're value increases greatly with age.

I wouldn't worry about him.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Pete04222 said:
"I'm impressed, not many people know what that emblem is."
Well, he obviously was trying to show off he knew about Ferrari’s

Pete04222 said:
So I say, "Yeah, I've got a Ferrari." That got his attention. He's like, "Really?" I say, "Yeah, it's a '79 308 GTS." I can see the gears turning as he's trying to place the car so I add, "The Magnum PI car." Now he's got it. "Oh. The poor man's Ferrari."
Now IM confused !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

He knows the emblem but doesn’t know the car by it’s name……….SO, how does he know it’s the poor man’s Ferrari if there is even one?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

He was trying to show off earlier but now he just got the stool kicked from under his feet and is now hanging from the rope (sound of stretching rope)

OHHH Pete……you are too nice a person…….I would of milked it for all it was worth…….
When idiots drive fast with their words, I give them a car wreck with mine….

Pete04222 said:
Then he proceeded to rave on this Mercedes he was driving. He pointed it out to me, it was a 20 year old, mostly silver 300TD station wagon that someone gave him and he was complaining to me about how expensive the body components were. I told him that my wife had the sedan version of his car but hers was a little bit newer and left it at that.
Now he was avoiding talking about your car and trying to move the conversation to his POS that a 5 year old Civic is worth more than his 300TD

Pete04222 said:
I work hard and pay cash for everything. (except the house). "If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it" that's my motto. Cars, Boats, trailers, ATVs', tools and equipment, Everything I own is free and clear.
I would of told him that and the price you paid just to shut him up and then, I would of turned around and walked away laughing and talking out loud saying “Poor Man’s Ferrari….(laughing again) no such thing… idiot (laughing again) not many people know the emblem….(laughing again) not many people know the cars either…)”

I dont like being insulted so I fire back when shot at......maybe it's the asshole in me...who knows...I just dont do that to others, so I dont take it from anyone....you are too nice "Oh Captain my Captain...."

Basosz said:
Not to insult any owner of any care but didn't they used to call the Corvette a poor man's Ferrari?

Or was it the 280Z? Can't remember but there was a car that was NOT a Ferrari that was called "The Poor Man's Ferrari"
I never heard of any car being referred to as the “Poor Man’s Ferrari” I know my previous car (93 MR2 Turbo) was quoted by Road and Track as the “Baby Ferrari” but other than that…never heard that before…

~

1 - 20 of 50 Posts