F355 Berlinetta or 360 Spider ?

• F355 Berlinetta

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • 360 Spider

Votes: 46 59.0%

Poll: 355 Berlinetta or 360 Spider ?

12K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
I have long debated with myself which Ferrari I would purchase if I had to choose between these two. I love the lines of both of these models and I believe they will age very well. To give you more of a picture of what I'm considering, the models will have the following features:

F355 Berlinetta (coupe)
- Rossa Corsa (exterior)
- tan leather (interior)
- 6 speed manual transmission (stick shift)
- fender shields
- no challenge grill
- other: factory cover(s), tools, books, etc.

or

360 Spider (convertible)
- Rossa Corsa (exterior)
- tan leather (interior)
- 6 speed manual transmission (stick shift)
- fender shields
- challenge grill
- modular wheels
- other: factory cover(s), tools, books, etc.

Which one would you recommend? I am also concerned with the average annual maintenance expenses for each model (although, chances are it'll still be less expensive than a woman :thumbsup: hahaha). I do not know what they are, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on this matter. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I need to correct an erroneous impression which you are currently under.
A woman is inexpensive.
A wife is expensive and becomes more so as soon as children are added to the equation.

So having corrected that aspect I shall continue.

A 360 is as expensive as a woman
A355 as a wife with children.

My preference would be the 355 but then I am biased as I own one.
I think the 360 is not as good looking as the 355 or as complete a car.

As I previously stated I am biased.

Your biggest expense on the 355 would be the 5 year belt services which is expensive but if you can do it yourself then it is no more expensive then owning a 360.
The manual shift box is the ideal in both cases although the 360 guys will tell you that they would not choose a manual given the F1 convenience of their cars.( I suppose a matter of preference).

Either car is magnificent to own and I am sure you will be satisfied with which ever one you decide to buy.

#4 ·
A 360 is as expensive as a woman
A355 as a wife with children.

Spot on comparison! However, a 355 is less expensive than a wife because it doesn't take half when you let it go.

#19 ·
Not true, if you bought one brand new, now it is currently worth less than half.
:cry3:

#6 ·
How long have you owned your 360 for? What are your likes and dislikes? Is there a model year for the 360 that was particularly good? I know they were manufactured between 1999-2005, but I can't really tell a difference among any 360s regarding design. Any input or advice you have, I would greatly appreciate.

#7 ·
How long have you owned your 360 for? What are your likes and dislikes? Is there a model year for the 360 that was particularly good? I know they were manufactured between 1999-2005, but I can't really tell a difference among any 360s regarding design. Any input or advice you have, I would greatly appreciate.
In terms of year, generally the 2002-2005 360's are preferred over the earlier model years.

#9 ·
I think your research as a definite US slant on it, David. There is nothing wrong with that but I just thought I'd point out that Euro 360's tend to have many more miles than US ones, 20k+ miles being extremely common, and 40k+ miles also very common. It is difficult to find a low mileage 360 in Europe.

Onno

#10 ·
It's not just slanted Onno, it's downright exclusionary! I did not look outside the 48 continental United States.

But, I intend to join my Euro brethren in the high mileage club! We got our 360 to enjoy, both visually AND operationally. I plan to wear grooves along Pacific Coast Highway !! :steeringwheel:

#11 ·
It's not just slanted Onno, it's downright exclusionary! I did not look outside the 48 continental United States.

But, I intend to join my Euro brethren in the high mileage club! We got our 360 to enjoy, both visually AND operationally. I plan to wear grooves along Pacific Coast Highway !! :steeringwheel:
Agreed! My 360 will be no Garage Queen! I plan to drive it!!!:steeringwheel:

#25 ·
Edger is really fascinated by our responses. He has two posts, the last of which was 28 Aug 2010. Most likely no 355 or 360 for him, but who knows? At least the rest of us were interested in the answers to his question.

#26 · (Edited)

there is no debate as far as im concerned...the 355 is a much better looking car,,,i have never liked the 360,,,im not sure what kind of drugs they were smoking/sniffing at Pininfarina..but the car looks like shittt.(360 owners please dont take it personaly)..it might have the better motor,,but who cares.it does not look the part one bit !!..the only thing they got right,,was the steering wheel (interior is also nice ),,the only item i dislike about the 355 is the steering wheel,,,whoever designed that,,was also on methanphetamine !!..i have heard that the 430 was what the 360 should have been,,,the 430 is a better looking car...but Pininfarina,,,finally got recovery.,,hence... the 458,,,!!!!! my 328 gets more looks and compliments than any 360 or 430...lol,,,and frankly., like the 355...is what a Ferrari is suppose to look like,one more opinion on the 458,,,the led headlights,,,dont do it for me,(twin - moving HID beams incorporated in each front fender would have been much better ),,other than that,,its no doubt,,a proper Ferrari,,,!! the photos tell the story...

Attachments

#27 ·
I had the same conundrum. The 360 is great, the Spider version cuts the car's design lines, in my eyes. I do lik the roof going into the car. The 355 is so much fun and feels like I have more control than the test drives in the 360s, they remind me of the Maserati. The 360, in my humble opinion, is more computerized and doesn't give the control that I want when driving a stick... I'm biased as I went with a the 355, F355 GTS. It's the last truly "hand-built" Ferrari and the design looks better, in my humble opinion.

#28 ·
After swearing for years that I don't like the 360, I have finally warmed up to it. As a current F355 GTS owner, I actually considered swapping out of it for a gorgeous 360 Spider 6 speed (manual) that I found online last week. I went to see said Spider and while it is really nice, I know I would always regret letting the F355 go. For an extra 20 HP, it's just not worth the $20k to "trade-up".

One of the little things that bugged me about the 6 speed manual on the 360 is how short the throws are through the gate. I know this is probably an advantage but I'd miss the drama of the F355's gate - not to mention the jagged little dogleg for reverse.

#32 ·
I have long debated with myself which Ferrari I would purchase if I had to choose between these two. I love the lines of both of these models and I believe they will age very well. To give you more of a picture of what I'm considering, the models will have the following features:

F355 Berlinetta (coupe)
  • Rossa Corsa (exterior)
  • tan leather (interior)
  • 6 speed manual transmission (stick shift)
  • fender shields
  • no challenge grill
  • other: factory cover(s), tools, books, etc.

or

360 Spider (convertible)
  • Rossa Corsa (exterior)
  • tan leather (interior)
  • fender shields
  • challenge grill
  • modular wheels

Which one would you recommend? I am also concerned with the average annual maintenance expenses for each model (although, chances are it'll still be less expensive than a woman 👍 hahaha). I do not know what they are, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on this matter. Thanks
Hi there, if you're still looking...here my 2 cents!
Both the 355 and the 360 manuals are awesome cars, but very different. The key question is what you want to do with them and how you intend on driving.
If you're ok with doing A to A, then the beautiful 355 is fine. It has the best sounding exhaust of all, followed by the 360CS.. in my experience, the 355 has many small issues and quite often something goes south while you're on a road trip. hence the A to A thought, implying you have the time to wait for tow truck etc... Then again, if the 355 was well maintained as others point out here, you're in luck, but it can be like a lottery ticket.. in addition, maintenance costs are considerably higher than the 360 where Ferrari designers used some common sense to reduce costs and time of workmen on the car.
If however, you plan on driving harder, get miles on the car, occasional visit to track for a round or two, and most importantly go on extended road trip or just daily drives, the 360 is the way better choice. It has a slightly higher CPG than the 355, but is much stiffer and more reliable. The 360 is the first of th modern Ferraris whereas the 355 was perhaps the last one influenced by the master Enzo.
Also, if you do get the 355, take one without the airbag (not sure if these exist in the US). The mom steering wheel just looks raw and old school (which i like)

Anyhow, good luck with the purchase, you'll enjoy both!

#33 · (Edited)
Never heard of a 355 without an airbag but I may just be ignorant.
I have owned neither. My first drive was a 355 spider F1.
Having been through the Ferrari game I agree with Boxer's takes.
I would suggest the 360 stick.
However, my now recommendation is, go up a few bucks to a 430 and you'll be glad you did. The chain belt is one sole reason to never regret your decision.
Until our 599, I/we (we had his' and her's at the same time) was ALWAYS a trip where part of our driving responsibly was a brain portion feeling the engine's nuances. Ya' that should be a part of the concern but our experience was making sure if things went south we had a plan. Have been towed many times and some were bummers when a trip or event was in play: happened at least four/six times. 360 less issues. And to be clear, we always performed maintenance but a rep Ferrari mech. Things... happen in Ferraris.

Unless your mated to the older responsibility of 'classis' looks (responsibility means money) I would choose a newer best of the model vehicle.
The 355 experience regardless of entry cost WILL be more expensive, by far, than even the early 360s. The 430 might be a few $k entry more but less over time.
The idea you are also doing the engine out belt, water pump, or other front end issues on a 355 is, well 'ok' if you are truly a gearhead: we've done many engine outs on American cars but simply choose to skip the Ferraris. YMMV. we applaud those that do and perhaps that's you.
But if not, choose newer. in our opinion. ;)

PS: depreciation?! Pffft. At their bottom end the tend to again go back up in price after a few years. Drive the heck out of them and they are happy. Otherwise thing truly go wrong. NEVER understood those that have queens.
Even those that own $30 million plus examples RACE THEM. it's not about disposable income, it's about enjoying what should be the attraction, driving it.
Want to save money? Don't buy an exotic unless it's a priceless one.
Jim Glickenhouse (sic) said it best: "saving your car for the next buyer is like saving your lover for the next person. Why?"

#35 ·
Never heard of a 355 without an airbag but I may just be ignorant.
I have owned neither. My first drive was a 355 spider F1.
Having been through the Ferrari game I agree with Boxer's takes.
I would suggest the 360 stick.
However, my now recommendation is, go up a few bucks to a 430 and you'll be glad you did. The chain belt is one sole reason to never regret your decision.
Until our 599, I/we (we had his' and her's at the same time) was ALWAYS a trip where part of our driving responsibly was a brain portion feeling the engine's nuances. Ya' that should be a part of the concern but our experience was making sure if things went south we had a plan. Have been towed many times and some were bummers when a trip or event was in play: happened at least four/six times. 360 less issues. And to be clear, we always performed maintenance but a rep Ferrari mech. Things... happen in Ferraris.

Unless your mated to the older responsibility of 'classis' looks (responsibility means money) I would choose a newer best of the model vehicle.
The 355 experience regardless of entry cost WILL be more expensive, by far, than even the early 360s. The 430 might be a few $k entry more but less over time.
The idea you are also doing the engine out belt, water pump, or other front end issues on a 355 is, well 'ok' if you are truly a gearhead: we've done many engine outs on American cars but simply choose to skip the Ferraris. YMMV. we applaud those that do and perhaps that's you.
But if not, choose newer. in our opinion. ;)

PS: depreciation?! Pffft. At their bottom end the tend to again go back up in price after a few years. Drive the heck out of them and they are happy. Otherwise thing truly go wrong. NEVER understood those that have queens.
Even those that own $30 million plus examples RACE THEM. it's not about disposable income, it's about enjoying what should be the attraction, driving it.
Want to save money? Don't buy an exotic unless it's a priceless one.
Jim Glickenhouse (sic) said it best: "saving your car for the next buyer is like saving your lover for the next person. Why?"
On the F355s and airbags, mine did not have one. It was a early European car.

#34 ·

F355 Berlinetta (coupe)
  • Rossa Corsa (exterior)
  • tan leather (interior)
  • fender shields
  • no challenge grill

or

360 Spider (convertible)
  • Rossa Corsa (exterior)
  • tan leather (interior)
  • fender shields
  • challenge grill
  • modular wheels

Which one would you recommend? I am also concerned with the average annual maintenance expenses for each model (although, chances are it'll still be less expensive than a woman 👍 hahaha). I do not know what they are, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on this matter. Thanks
360 ALL THE WAY. LOVE THE BODY STYLE SINCE I HEAVILY STARTED BEING INTO CARS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.