Votes: 32 41.0%
  • 360 Spider

Votes: 46 59.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long debated with myself which Ferrari I would purchase if I had to choose between these two. I love the lines of both of these models and I believe they will age very well. To give you more of a picture of what I'm considering, the models will have the following features:

F355 Berlinetta (coupe)
- Rossa Corsa (exterior)
- tan leather (interior)
- 6 speed manual transmission (stick shift)
- fender shields
- no challenge grill
- other: factory cover(s), tools, books, etc.

or

360 Spider (convertible)
- Rossa Corsa (exterior)
- tan leather (interior)
- 6 speed manual transmission (stick shift)
- fender shields
- challenge grill
- modular wheels
- other: factory cover(s), tools, books, etc.

Which one would you recommend? I am also concerned with the average annual maintenance expenses for each model (although, chances are it'll still be less expensive than a woman :thumbsup: hahaha). I do not know what they are, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on this matter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I need to correct an erroneous impression which you are currently under.
A woman is inexpensive.
A wife is expensive and becomes more so as soon as children are added to the equation.

So having corrected that aspect I shall continue.

A 360 is as expensive as a woman
A355 as a wife with children.

My preference would be the 355 but then I am biased as I own one.
I think the 360 is not as good looking as the 355 or as complete a car.

As I previously stated I am biased.

Your biggest expense on the 355 would be the 5 year belt services which is expensive but if you can do it yourself then it is no more expensive then owning a 360.
The manual shift box is the ideal in both cases although the 360 guys will tell you that they would not choose a manual given the F1 convenience of their cars.( I suppose a matter of preference).

Either car is magnificent to own and I am sure you will be satisfied with which ever one you decide to buy.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I faced the same dilemma (although sans the challenge grill). I went with the 360 and the reason was based largely on the difference in projected maintenance costs.

I couldn’t be happier… unless I owned both.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

Spot on comparison! However, a 355 is less expensive than a wife because it doesn't take half when you let it go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long have you owned your 360 for? What are your likes and dislikes? Is there a model year for the 360 that was particularly good? I know they were manufactured between 1999-2005, but I can't really tell a difference among any 360s regarding design. Any input or advice you have, I would greatly appreciate.

·
Administrator
15,163 Posts
How long have you owned your 360 for? What are your likes and dislikes? Is there a model year for the 360 that was particularly good? I know they were manufactured between 1999-2005, but I can't really tell a difference among any 360s regarding design. Any input or advice you have, I would greatly appreciate.
In terms of year, generally the 2002-2005 360's are preferred over the earlier model years.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
My recent market research indicates a near linear decrease in prices with a slight, and slight is the operative word, demarcation between the 2000-2003 and 2004-2005 cars. It seems that the 04-05 cars are generally under or very near the magic 10K mile mark, and this probably accounts for the breakpoint. Understand that price is a difficult indicator to use since asking prices are usually much different than actual selling prices. And most sellers don't provide the latter

Talking with several forum sponsors, they indicate the model's initial problems were all worked out by late 2002 or so.

For reference, I have a 2004 Spider with 11,00 miles. From its well-documented history, the car has had two belt changes, the last one just before I purchased it, and hasn't needed any major repairs. There is a very good amount of clutch left and the brakes have one or two seasons left before it will need new pads. This to me is a testament to its reputation as the most reliable Ferrari to date. This analysis is what drove me to choose the 360 over the 355. Search the forum and you will find posts that discuss the estimated and actual maintenance costs for both models. I am budgeting $2500 per year (which I'll roll over) for my Spider.

But regarding your specific question about the best year for 360's, I think it ultimately depends on your budget. Early cars, even good examples, are now selling in the $70K range, while 04-05s are near the $100K mark.

In the end, I say work you budget, to include estimated yearly maintenance, and you have your answer about which model and year to buy.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
It's not just slanted Onno, it's downright exclusionary! I did not look outside the 48 continental United States.

But, I intend to join my Euro brethren in the high mileage club! We got our 360 to enjoy, both visually AND operationally. I plan to wear grooves along Pacific Coast Highway !! :steeringwheel:

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's not just slanted Onno, it's downright exclusionary! I did not look outside the 48 continental United States.

But, I intend to join my Euro brethren in the high mileage club! We got our 360 to enjoy, both visually AND operationally. I plan to wear grooves along Pacific Coast Highway !! :steeringwheel:
Agreed! My 360 will be no Garage Queen! I plan to drive it!!!:steeringwheel:

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you do, it will be a much better running 360.
Isn't that the truth!!! I never can understand buying one of these exotics and then letting her sit. So many are still available with such low miles Stateside! Mine won't be one of 'em!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
but in terms of build quality have to go with the 360.
In your personal opinion, do you think a heavily used 360 would cost more or less in depreciation (plus less maintenance) than a F355 would cost in maintenance (plus less depreciation)? I know 355's can be a bit of a wild card when it comes to big repair bills - I'm just curious about how the depreciation curve compares to upkeep for the current lineup of older models.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

Spot on comparison! However, a 355 is less expensive than a wife because it doesn't take half when you let it go.
Not true, if you bought one brand new, now it is currently worth less than half.
:cry3:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
As a newer 360 Spider owner here is my two cents:

Make sure everything is included, all keys, tools, books, and car cover
Have them check the alternator harness, this is a $3000 bill
Make sure it has had a recent cam belt change documented
Make sure all fluids have been changed: oil, brake, tranny, and coolant
Make sure there are no coolant leaks and that the fans come on
Aim for a 2002 or newer because the transmission control unit can be software upgraded to shift like a 360 Stradale
Get one with Daytona seats, much better for resale
If you are leaning toward tan interior, try to find one with black carpeting
If you like the modular wheels like I do, purchase one with them, as they are hard to get after the fact.
Verify the remaining clutch life
If you go F1 tranny, make sure it goes into reverse consistently, without having to put it in 1st, test this when the car is cold, and hot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts