Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per request, here is the procedure I used to polish the ribs and wrinkle red paint a pair of valve covers.

The first thing to do is clean the covers. I prefer to media blast using ground walnut shells. It does nothing to the surface except clean, and any residue is so soft that it will never hurt the inside of an engine. I realize this might be a difficult option, so glass beading or sand blasting is possible. Both roughen the surface so that polishing will be slightly more time consuming. Just be REAL sure to get all the sand or glass residue off. Dont' forget to remove the filter in the breather line

Next, do the polishing. Block sand the letters, number and ribs starting with 150 grit sandpaper, then 220 wet, then 400 wet. Use a magnifying glass to inspect each step to make sure the finish is homogenious. The curved areas can be done with your fingers. When you have finished with the 400 grit, the surface should be free of scratches and shine pretty well all ready. The sanding is 95% of the job, so don't skimp. Polishing will not hide scratches - it highlights them. Then using a buffing wheel, buff first with tripoli polish, and finally with white rouge polish. It took me a couple of hours to do each valve cover.

Now for the wrinkle paint. You might ask how we mask off the polished areas. The answer is that we don't. We are going to spray right over them. One can of VHT-SP204 wrinkle red paint will do both valve covers and the plenum. Pretty good deal for about $10. Clean the surface with lacquer thinner or other solvent and let dry. Then spray on a pretty thick coat of wrinkle paint, but don't let it run. Do this in the shade. The paint will not even begin to wrinkle in the shade for a very long time. Now, tightly wrap a rag around your finger, and carefully remove the paint from the polished surfaces. It is easier than you think, and leaves a good straight line. Do a couple of inches at a time, and move your finger to a new spot on the rag. It will take 10 to 15 minutes. Don't worry if there is a slight film left - you can remove that with lacquer thinner the next day. At this point you have two choices. You can set the valve cover out in the sun, and it will wrinkle in about 15 minutes to one hour, depending on how strong the sun is in your area. I used to live in Michigan where it was never sunny enough. Arizona, on the other hand, works quite well. Even here, I prefer the second choice, which is to force the paint to dry using a heat gun. Start at one corner, keep moving the gun back and forth about three inches from the cover in three inch circles. As the paint wrinkles move the heat gun toward the other end. The advantage to this method is that the wrinkle is finer and more consistent than the sun-dried method. When all is wrinkled, let the paint dry overnight. The next day, you can clean up any haze from the polished surfaces, and you are done.

The same procedure works for the plenum. Media blast first. One nice thing about wrinkle paint is that you don't have to remove all the old wrinkle, just the stuff that comes off easily. When you re-wrinkle, you can't tell at all. Good luck. Take your time. -Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Steve - sounds pretty straightforward so I'll definately give it a try. Got the VHT red wrinkle paint today and I've got a spare plenum to practice on.

There's a local company who does blasting using polymer beads which should do the job nicely. Over here in Scotland we don't see much of the sun so I guess I'll be buying myself a heat gun :)

Regards
Franco

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck, Franco. Let's see some pictures when you're done. Let us know if you find any other hot tips as you go along. -Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Beautiful results. I have had good luck with the VHT wrinkle paint before too. The first time I used it was in 1971 on a pair of finned early Corvette valve covers. They had some staining so a friend dipped them in the cleaning tank at the chrome shop where he worked. They came out looking like new castings. I then polished the fins and lettering then sprayed them in black VHT wrinkle paint. I baked them in the kitchen oven and the wrinkle turned out very uniform with a finer texture as you accomplished with the heat gun.

The bad news was that mom wasn't happy with me. The good news was that the valve covers looked fantastic. The oven eventually aired out.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good luck, Franco. Let's see some pictures when you're done. Let us know if you find any other hot tips as you go along. -Steve
Thanks again for the tips Steve ........finally got the plenum done and well pleased with the result.

Leaving the cam cover till the next big service and belt change and then I'll do them too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys,
eventually i called Ferrari asking for information about wrinkled paint.
i talked with so many people that my ear is burning.
anyway they told me the name of the producer.
it's called univer sokema, an italian company.
they have an e-commerce website where i'm trying to get the paint.
www.gasup.it
images on their site seem beautiful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do I find the red wrinkled paint? I have a small area on one of the valve covers of my 360 the size of a quarter that needs touching up

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I'm having the wrinkle Silver, which I believe is even more difficult.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You guys are putting me to shame and I have on 16K miles on mine!

I best get on the stick to get mine looking decent!

·
Registered
308 Posts
DENSI: I can't thank you enough for that link to Gasup.it !!! Many MANY MANY people have been looking for the source for Ferrari's silver crinkle paint for years! This is a HUGE DISCOVERY for those of us who work on and restore these cars! Thank You - Thank You !!!!!

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
DENSI: I can't thank you enough for that link to Gasup.it !!! Many MANY MANY people have been looking for the source for Ferrari's silver crinkle paint for years! This is a HUGE DISCOVERY for those of us who work on and restore these cars! Thank You - Thank You !!!!!

Gasup I hear is fairly good, but their response to casual emails or such is way on the low side.

Anyone have better luck?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tried to register but couldn't. I emailed them asking how to purchase some of their products. Hopefully I get some response. Maybe I should get someone who can speak Italian call them on the phone?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I think they want to find one who can purchase larger quantities. They do not want to be bothered w/shipping individual orders because the aerosols can't be sent by most air carriers!.

I'll contact them and find out.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Bump

Well, getting ready to finish the bottom end and then on to the top end.

Red covers are being sent out which are NOT a problem for the crinkle paint job, but SILVER!!!!

No go. Tried to import a can of the material from EU side and customs confiscated it :(

So, thinking of doing the RED then painting over top with Silver paint.

any better/more ideas? Getting to that point in three weeks.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Send them to Steve at MAAS Brothers in Livermore

They will do fantastic OEM wrinkle finish

Hey Greg, good to see you again. Will MAAS Bros do Silver?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts