Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just joined your forum today and it is great to know there is support in this type of high end purchase.

I am just in the process of aquiring my first Ferrari and I really would like some help.

I am looking at 355's. I seem to have narrowed it down to 2 cars:

A Red 355 hard top TB with 40,000 miles and 6 owners (I am told by Verdi cars this is a stunning example and a known car)

or

A Red 355 Spider with 21,000 miles and 4 owners (I am told by Verdi that this car is good but not known).

I really could do with your help guys, as you see from the name I love the spider but do not want to make a bad choice, I know the hard top handels better but the spider is just stunning.

What should i look for? Both are 96 models and they are only 4 K apart in price. The hard top does have the 5.7 engine as opposed to the spider with a 2.6. Is there anything i should know about the 2.6 engine? Any preferences guys?

Also has anybody had any experience with buying Ferrari with Verdi? I have seen a few bits but am keen to know if they look after you (having been burnt by Arther Daily in the past).

Please guys help this is new and is the best part of £47K that I am unsure if I have really got... (I am if you like the lower earner Ferrari driver hense needing all the help and advise I can get).

Regards

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Ask yourself this - Are you buying the car to race or are you buying it just to ride around in and enjoy?

The 355 Spider will out handle anything you've ever driven before so don't worry about that little bit of lost performance by not getting the hardtop. As for the engine size, really, how many times are you going to be pushing the car to it's limits and wishing you had that extra horsepower?

My little 308 is way more car than I can handle. The car's limits are far greater than my own. I've never once said, "Gee, I wish this car had more horsepower."

I've said this before and I'll say it again, smart people do not buy Ferraris. Smart people buy Volkswagons. Don't overanalize your Ferrari purchase. Ferraris are purchased with the heart, not with the brain. Get the one that makes you feel good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
355 spider

I got to work on, and drive, a 355 spider several times. The car is fabulous, and makes the greatest sound of all time with its Tubi exhaust. However, the power top is just a little less complicated than the space shuttle. It uses a microprocessor that does all kinds of things to accomplish what should be a simple task. It moves both power seats, opens the windows a little, checks to see if the parking brke is on, and has a microswitch buried in the top mechanism to monitor latch position. If everything is not just right, all you get is a beep and no top movement. I ended up working on this particular car because the dealership already ran up a $2,000 bill and hadn't fixed it yet! Plus the reservoir leaked fluid on the carpeting. Anyway, consider that in your decision. -Steve

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
After driving both, buy the one, which feels the best.

Get the one that makes you feel good’ - Capt. Pete of the Enterprise.

I think we are saying the same thing. Ferrari is not rational decision. It is made from the heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts