Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting.

I'm kind of hoping that Pinninfarina will adopt a more 'sophisticated' look for ferrari. Im getting the impression that their latest designs (enzo included) are more attention grabbers. Sharp lines huge air ducts everywhere. I much prefer a simple elegant design.

Maybe this is the step that will introduce that look.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Hope for the better

Whether Mr. Okuyama was fired or otherwise, it should be a good change for Pinninfarina. Couple of months ago I saw this documentary program on this Japanese TV (similar to PBS) featuring him as a Japanese working overseas. Although, I do not believe everything was his design or not, but being the chief designer, he must had a big influence for Enzo's design, which I do not care for. (maybe too much influence from those Japanese animations). Take a look at Zagato designs, which appeal to me much more. Jimmy

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree about the p4/5. In many ways I feel the design is superior. I mean come on, who can tell me those vertical exhaust pipes aren't sexy.

Something I wish Ferrari was able to accomplish is more of a distinguished design theme from generation to generation. From the 50s to the early 70s they did this well. In the 80s they went with the crowd, and were successful, the 90s had some similarities with the 80s. The 00s sprung and now we've seen a whole new generation of style and even THAT is changing with the F430 being the only tie to what we had in 2000. I don't know ...

Its not even like other car manufacturers are having the same problem. Granted some are, but Lamborghini for example. There are styling cues on the Gallardo and Murciellago that harken back to the Countach and that was 34 years ago!

Thats what I would most like Ferrari to adopt.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boxer said:
In many ways I think the P4/5 is the car the Enzo should have been. To some extent Pininfarina lost the plot by abandoning beauty to focus only on aerodymanics. The two need to be balanced to produce a design that has the enduring beauty of a Daytona, Dino, or 275 GTB.
Clearly a subject of personal taste. I think the Enzo is awesome looking. Certainly not as graceful and sexy as a Dino 246 or a 275 GTB but it looks like it's suppose to, a modern racecar for the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Classic vs. New

It will be iinteresting to see what happens at Pinninfarina. While I've never liked the Enzo design much it is none-the-less a worthy design. The 612 Scaglietti and the 430 also leave me somewhat un-inspired. Ok, they are not horrible designs, but they sure don't ring the bell the way the 250 SWB, Lusso, or California spyder do. And of course, that's only mentioning a few cars of great design.

The problem seems to be that Ferrari and Pinninfarina are looking back too much. Even the P4/5 (sexy and beautiful as it is) looks too much to the past for my taste. Ok, many heritage brands (Aston Martin, Porsche and Jaguar for example) are also stuck in the past.

I'd like to see new Ferraris that look to the future, cars which jump freshly into new design territory, not re-mixes of older themes. The new cars should look as innovative in their style as they are in their technology.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree to an extent with the above.

My problem is that when I look at all the models together I do not see a coherent idea with respect to style. Each one is attractive in its own right, but not as a family of cars. Maybe one model to the next within a series (ie 360=>430) but nothing ties them all together, nothing to transition the cars. In the past I think they did this very well. Considering also the fact that they've been using Pininfarina since the beginning AND that Pininfarina is considered one of the premiere design houses in the WORLD I think this wouldnt be an issue.

Consider Astons ... they all have those strong lines and that essential front grill.

I dont even want to talk about Porsche ... the 911 should be buried and never return. Never the less the design has carried the name for decades. Its 'Porsche'. If you dont think of 911 when you hear "Porsche" ...

When I hear Ferrari I dont think of a stylistic idea or theme. I think beautiful, yes, but nothing concise. I want this. I think this would be the icing on the cake for the company.

GTSGuy ... welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The 360 is the first Ferrari in a very long time to take my breath away. I grew up fascinating over the Lusso, GTO, 250LM, the P2/3/4 and found that the Boxer, Testarossa and subsequent designs lacked the styling cues and aesthetics that were largely responsible for my interest in the brand. I find the F40, Enzo and most of the modern designs to be rudimentary and industrial in effect. I think the car commissioned by Jim Glickenhaus is a stunning example of how signature styling elements lend provenance to a design without it being a 'retro' exercise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's going to be very interesting to see if things will change will Okuyama gone from Pininfarina, in my opinion. I also agree with many others here who believe that its all personal taste whether or not you liked Pininfarina's designs. I think that the "generation" of Ferrari's you grew to love and know so well is quite relevant as well. At the age of 19, I grew into loving Ferrari's such as the 550 Maranello, 575M, and 360 Modena and am just now recently getting to know and respect the classics like the 250 GTO which I am still getting use to. I've noticed that (excuse the term) "older" enthusiasts are more turned onto the designs of the 250 GTO and the P4/5 because of its unique and subtle styling, while younger enthusiasts like my friends and I favor the extreme and bold lines of the Enzo and 599 GTB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts