Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these pictures at Munsterhuis, The Netherlands. The mechanic that walked in the garage said it was built on a italian chassis, with a Ferrari-engine. The name hoffman (correct spelling?) was on a paper in the car, i don't know why. The mechanic was just leaving because it was the end of the day, so he didn't want to help me further with any info. Maybe somebody here can help me. Take a look :p

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think this thing is offered around Ebay, Markplaats and Autotrader. You might find some more info on it. Can't remember anything else at the moment.

Niels

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
No clue here either. It does look like it would be fun to drive though.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, somebody said that, but somebody else said this:

Engine is definitely Dino V-6.

Tranny is definitely (and would be appropriate for this kind-of car) Hewland (easily mistaken for a Porsche, since they're similar to VW and Hewland Mk9 'boxes are VW Bug 'boxes turned upside down!).

And Niels, I couldn't find it anywhere on ebay, marktplaats or autotrader

Did find a photo with (i think) the same car with bodyplates attached

So the mystery lives on...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure it's a Ferrari? Lancia used the Dino V6 in the Stratos... maybe they built this too.

It looks a lot like an Alfa T33/3 (except for the motor that is).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mystery Car

Dr. Bob:

You present the forum with a conundrum.

The "mystery" car you picture does indeed have a Dino V6. The engine appears to be a 2.0 all alloy unit or derivitive thereof. The fuel delivery system is a mystery to me. There were injected 206/s and 206/p models I believe. The transaxle looks similar to Hewland units used in Formula 2. With the exception of the shift mechanism, the transaxle looks very similar to the unit used in some Lotus 47's.

The mechanic stated the car was an "Italian chassis with a Ferrari engine," and this may be true. Ferrari supplied some small numbers of Dino engines to independent teams for Formula 2 and some of these engines made it into other type cars, so the total vehicle may not be a Ferrari built vehicle. Pure conjecture on my part but the body work seems very well developed for a one off, so there may be other examples of this vehicle.

As to the mention that the picture that is in the showroom being the same car: I might differ with this conclusion on the following points.

The "mystery" car has the radiator and the oil cooler at the front and the body work shown allows for the escape of air passing through the front of the vehicle. The showroom vehicle makes no allowance for cooling air to pass through the front of the vehicle and appears to have side mount radiators. The showroom vehicle also appears to have fuel or oil filler positions on both sides of the vehicle where the "mystery" vehicle appears to have but one filler.

Thank you for posting such an interesting vehicle!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Re: Mystery Car

confused 206 (Fiat Dino) said:
Dr. Bob:

You present the forum with a conundrum.

The "mystery" car you picture does indeed have a Dino V6. The engine appears to be a 2.0 all alloy unit or derivitive thereof. The fuel delivery system is a mystery to me. There were injected 206/s and 206/p models I believe. The transaxle looks similar to Hewland units used in Formula 2. With the exception of the shift mechanism, the transaxle looks very similar to the unit used in some Lotus 47's.

The mechanic stated the car was an "Italian chassis with a Ferrari engine," and this may be true. Ferrari supplied some small numbers of Dino engines to independent teams for Formula 2 and some of these engines made it into other type cars, so the total vehicle may not be a Ferrari built vehicle. Pure conjecture on my part but the body work seems very well developed for a one off, so there may be other examples of this vehicle.

As to the mention that the picture that is in the showroom being the same car: I might differ with this conclusion on the following points.

The "mystery" car has the radiator and the oil cooler at the front and the body work shown allows for the escape of air passing through the front of the vehicle. The showroom vehicle makes no allowance for cooling air to pass through the front of the vehicle and appears to have side mount radiators. The showroom vehicle also appears to have fuel or oil filler positions on both sides of the vehicle where the "mystery" vehicle appears to have but one filler.

Thank you for posting such an interesting vehicle!
Thank you for the interesting responce! Welcome to the forum! Please continue to grace the forum as I'm sure most hope to hear more from you.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
confused 206 (Fiat Dino), you seem to know what you are talking about. Welcome here and please keep those posts coming ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts