Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very wet day for the 2008 F1 GP at Silverstone yesterday, although the damp had done nothing to spoil the enthusiasm of the 90000 fans, most of whom expected great things from Lewis Hamilton.

The earlier Formula BMW, GP2 and Porsche Supercup races had been very wet and produced lots of spins and crashes. Therefore, the F1 race was going to be fun. My companion for the day was a colleague, and he was very excited after the Porsche race, as one of his best friends, Sean Edwards had won the race.

The atmosphere was electric, as it was last year too, but there was more of an air of expectation from the British fans this year. In the end it was a great result for Lewis and he thoroughly deserved his victory. Not so great for Ferrari, paricularly Massa who spun 5 or 6 times in the tough conditions. At least the title is wide open again with Lewis, Massa and Kimi all tied on 48 points....roll on Germany in 2 weeks.

Here are some pics I took, apologies for the quality of the high speed shot, my little camera isn't really up to the job for fast moving F1 cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Archie, very nice pictures!

The race was very fun to watch, even being such a bad day for Ferrari...

Are you going to Donington Park next year as well?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Archie. I do LOVE watching a good F1 race when the conditions call for full wets, though I wish it had a better outcome. I bet mini-arch loved Hamilton's win though, you'll have to bring him along next time.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a great day, and in some ways the wet made it far more exciting as predictably there were lots of spins which moved some of the big boys down the field. A great result for Reubens following a wise move swtiching to full wets.

Stile, Donington should start in 2010, if all goes well I hope to be there. It's even closer to my house than Silverstone. Donington's 30 mins and Silverstone is about 50 mins:D But Donington will need a lot of work to get it into shape for a F1 race. I was there with Boxer a couple of months ago, and it's fair to say the facilities are very basic.

Dmitri, mini me was delighted with Lewis's win, but not as delighted as he was with me when I got home and gave him a Lewis Hamilton replica overall set that I picked up on the McLaren merchandise stall. I'd love to take him with me, but unfortunately I normally get corporate hospitality tickets through business partners, I don't think they'd be too happy if I showed up in the corporate boxes with my 5 yr old son. I will actually pay to get in one year and take him with me.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
archie, will the 2009 British GP be held at Silverstone again, then?

I'm sure you'll get Donington in perfect shape, English people are amazingly capable

and I have to agree with you, Rubens did a great race, and was so right (and had the balls too) to take the wet tires, he showed that his experience makes a difference and took one of the worst cars to a podium finish, simply incredible

and don't say I'm being patriotic, because I'm not a fan of him, but yesterday he was really a hero

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silverstone still have the contract for 2009, and I'm sure they will have an option on 2010 if Donington isn't ready.
It won't be the English who rebuild Donington, currently there are thousands of Polish builders over here. Maybe they'll build a track that Kubica can win on;)
Rubens did superbly well, as you say maybe it was his experience showing through. It's always nice to see an underdog on the podium, like David Coulthard a few weeks ago, and why shouldn't you be patroitic? I am, regardless of who they drive for. Ferrari are my team, but I still cheer on for Lewis, David and Jensen.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
hehehehe let's watch out for Kubica in Donington, then!

I don't really bother about the nationality of pretty much anything, either people or things, what matters to me is if it (or he or she) is good

so I recognize that Barrichelo did a heck a good race, based on his experience he made the right choice at the right moment (maybe he should work as a consultant for Ferrari) and didn't make any mistakes on the track, but I would feel pretty much the same way if he was Polish, English or even American (hehehehe J/K)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Great photos. That had to be such a blast:( I'm so jealous:)

Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts
Awesome pics - it looks like you were sitting on the entry into the Abbey Chicane?

I have only been to one GP in my life - Silverstone in 2001 - where Hakkinen wone with Ferraris in second and third. I went there on a bus and it took about four hours to get there and another three to get home. If I ever go to Silverstone again I will definitely fork out for a helicopter transfer.

It wasn't the best results for our team but at least you got to see them 72 times each!!!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome pics - it looks like you were sitting on the entry into the Abbey Chicane?

I have only been to one GP in my life - Silverstone in 2001 - where Hakkinen wone with Ferraris in second and third. I went there on a bus and it took about four hours to get there and another three to get home. If I ever go to Silverstone again I will definitely fork out for a helicopter transfer.

It wasn't the best results for our team but at least you got to see them 72 times each!!!
Other side of the track;) my seat was in the Copse B hospitality grandstand on the inside of the track. The chicane you can see is the entry to Maggotts and Becketts. I didn't actually take up my seat in the end as I had a better view standing on a table outside the restaurant:D
Getting in and out is a lot better now, it took 45 mins to get in after hitting the first traffic jam. Leaving was great, I was at home 55 minutes after the race finished

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd imagine that the exit of Copse must be an awesome place to sit as the cars on really on it coming out of there - no brakes at all (in the dry of course) all the way to Stowe!!!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The view was good, but I would have been totally lost if it wasn't for the giant TV screen across the track and the radio for commentary.

The noise of the engines revving to 19000 is awesome, but earplugs are a necessity. Although being a new father again Schumacher, you should be used to very loud noises.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts