Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this photo today and thought it came out pretty good so I thought I would share it with you guys. Andrew said he wanted to see what was in the garage so here is my current "stable".

Way out back by my other house is my '69 Kaiser Jeep Commando that I use for snow-plowing, it is a V6 and it is like a little tractor. I should have pulled it forward for the pic. The truck is a '96 Ram 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I put in a Gale Banks Engineering power kit in it and the thing will pull a house and still get 21 mpg. The Ferrari, well you guys probably know more about it than I do so enough said (for now). The CJ7 Jeep is an '82 and I built it from the ground up (inherited it from my dad after it was no longer road worthy, he bought it brand new). The modifications on that are too numerous to list but basically it has 4.56:1 gears and turns 35" tires through a locked differential in the back and limited-slip up front. There is not much it will not go through. A couple of months ago I used it to winch out a front end loader that one of my friends had buried in the mud. My current plan is to paint the Jeep the same color as the Ferrari.

Well that is some of my toy box and I wanted to share. A couple of things I have learned:
1) Don't drive the Jeep like it is a Ferrari.
2) Don't drive the Ferrari like it is a Jeep!
:green: :green: :green:

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Pete,
Wonderful set. A litte funny looking with the Ferrari sandwiched between too large off road vehicles. :eek:ha: By the way that is excellent advice and gave me a good laugh.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I thought you would get a kick out of it. We are talking extremes here. When I told my buddy (who manages a local parts store) I was getting a new toy I didn't tell him what it was. When I showed up with the Ferrari I said "Well Marty, check out my new toy." He looked out the window and said "What? Where?" (the windows in the shop are chest high and he was expecting some huge monster truck) He couldn't believe I had that car! He was duly impressed.

Andrew, that advice is pretty funny and makes sense from a handling point of view. But it also has an immediate application - the shift patterns are different! Where first gear is on the Jeep is where reverse is on the Ferrari! I have caught myself a couple of times :oops: Fortunately, I have never power shifted the Ferrari into reverse.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Andrew, that advice is pretty funny and makes sense from a handling point of view. But it also has an immediate application - the shift patterns are different! Where first gear is on the Jeep is where reverse is on the Ferrari! I have caught myself a couple of times :oops: Fortunately, I have never power shifted the Ferrari into reverse.
It's also good to not think of your Ferrari as a offroad car!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pete04222 said:
the shift patterns are different! Where first gear is on the Jeep is where reverse is on the Ferrari! I have caught myself a couple of times :oops:
I had to laugh after reading that, as on my daily driver ('88 Mitsubishi Colt hatchback), the shift pattern is different too. After a spirited drive in the GT4 one day, I went back and took my Colt out for some errands. Not used to the total lack of power of the Colt, I was going along the road and needed to pick up speed, I was shifting it into what I thought was fifth (like the GT4), but actually into reverse! It was grinding like hell and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go in... DUHHH.... :roll:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nice fleet, Pete. How does it feel sitting in the ram when you know the seat bottom is higher than the roofline of your GTS?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Peter,

It took me several days to get used to the "racing pattern" shifter in the 308. At first, I thought it was akward. It has now become second nature and I appreciate just how intuitively correct the pattern is. Now, if anything, I mess up occasionally on the 944T!

Barry

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Pete04222 said:
I know what you mean, i've driving a small truck a couple of times.
and reverse is where 1st normaly is.
the 1st is where 2nd should be, really confusing.

That pic is quite funny, all those BIG car's and then that little Ferrari in between :green:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dane Sander said:
Which is your favorite?????
Dane,
Duuuhhh!!!!!

Just kidding. It depends on what I am doing at the time. The Ram is Ole Faithful. I love the Cummins Turbo Diesel with the Banks Power kit. Always runs, always gets 21 mpg (it gets 17 while towing! I used it today to bring an excavator to my buddie's house then used it to pull the excavator out after he got it stuck). And no Freakin' ignition system!! The Commando is my little yard tractor for pushing snow (something you just wouldn't understand about Dane). The CJ is my toy for playing in the mud and snow. (Another Jeep tip - Dress warm and don't wear your good clothes.)

And The Ferrari........ Well, you just gotta have a Ferrari!!!! I Love It!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
[]"The Commando is my little yard tractor for pushing snow (something you just wouldn't understand about Dane). "[/quote]

Oh contrar' my friend!!! :D :D :D I was born and raised in NW Montana, went to college in Grand Forks, ND and was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska for three years. I just came to Hawaii to thaw out. :) Our first choice leaving here was Colorado but it wasn't available...We actually miss the snow and the seasons. Still, we're happy to be going to NC.

OK, so what gets the best gas mileage?? That's probably a better question, huh??

Forza,

Dane

[/quote]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Pete04222 said:
It's also good to not think of your Ferrari as a offroad car!

LOL! I remember reading someplace about a farmer who took the front bumper off of his 246 Dino and used it to herd cattle on his ranch!! That's right..used his Ferrari to herd cattle. WOW! :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts