Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Ed Niles, I spent a delightful two hours with Peter Helm recently at a Starbucks near Gower Studios and he is the same incorrigible that I remembered him to be. Peter was to the early Ferrari Owners Club in Los Angeles what Bogart was to Sinatra's Rat Pack. I hadn't seen him since the early 70s.

I reminded him of a spin-out he executed in my path coming down Laurel Canyon and he reminded me of an 8mm film he made featuring a PF coupe, his California and my GTO on Mulholland Drive; G-rated except for the speeds involved. It turns out we both avoided speeding tickets--he in the California, me in the GTO--in Topanga Canyon though not at the same time. There's more. We'll see how much of it makes its way onto the forum.

I don't know how it happened, but somehow I forgot to ask Peter about the otter.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow!
I did a little research when trying to find out exactly what the score was with 0647/1051 that I was involved in.
Peter Helm certainly sounded like the type of chap that should've written a book - but never would!!!!!
Also held the key to 0117S I believe?
I am so envious:eek:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!
I did a little research when trying to find out exactly what the score was with 0647/1051 that I was involved in.
Peter Helm certainly sounded like the type of chap that should've written a book - but never would!!!!!
Also held the key to 0117S I believe?
I am so envious:eek:
There are a few of us from that time who could--but probably shouldn't--write books. Peter had two SWB Californias; one yellow and the other silver. The silver one was 3185.

He had many other Ferraris including a Tour de France. I'll ask him about 0117S.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It' the TdF that I was involved with (kind of!) - sn 0647GT - actually 1051GT - http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4270
It's worth reading right through if you have the time:eek:
This is the car he painted in tiger stripes to p**s off the stuffed shirts at the local FCA I believe! He also painted one of the Califs in army drab for the same reason!
Also the car that Ed Niles bought from him after he totalled it during a row with his then wife - the actress Brook Bundy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about the tiger stripes story, but I was present the day he painted the yellow California to resemble a U.S. Army jeep complete with white stars on the sides of the car. That night, Peter drove his 'Army issue' to a Ferrari Owners Club meeting, which I recall as being held at the California Yacht Club in Marina Del Rey. It caused an appropriate amount of distress pleasing Peter no end. The next day, we hosed off the poster paint restoring the car to its own identity.

A similar story concerns the Breadvan during the time Count Volpi owned it. It seems a friend of his had a bucket of black paint and...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts