Registered
3,928 Posts
Dear comrade Vulcan F-40,

In the UK there seem to be four types of personal reg's

1. Specific to the car eg, 328GTS, GTS328, 512BOX, 512FTR, 512TES..etc
2. Personal/names eg, BOB1...etc
3. Random/non dating eg, the Northern Irish plates with 3 letters and 4 numbers

4.Last but not least the Words or funny ones, my favorites include

200MPH (spotted on a AM lagonda about 20 yrs ago)

PEN 1 S or PEN 15 (spotted on a MB SL 15/20 years ago)
B 10 JOB
ORA 1

I quite like personalised reg no's, I have my own on retention (G11BOS)waiting for my next Ferrari purchase. I would really like G 1 BBO or G 18 BOS if they ever come up for sale.

Kind regards

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I quite like personalised plates if they are not overly contrived.

Simple plates are more entertaining, for example I saw 'FU 2' on a Benz last year which I thought was quite amusing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I only have one personal plate. Got it in the late 1980's.

Refuse to pay the silly £££ people are asking for now.

Most memorable one I ever saw was on a pearlescent white Countach... 50 5EXY

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Refuse to pay the silly £££ people are asking for now.
Agree!

What I find annoying is the fact that the DVLA make serious bucks from some of the plates that they sell knowing full well that the value of the plate lies in disorienting the letters and yet they have the hypocrisy to tell people that if they are going to 'misrepresent' the letters that than they (the DVLA) would prefer if people did not buy the plates!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Agree!

What I find annoying is the fact that the DVLA make serious bucks from some of the plates that they sell knowing full well that the value of the plate lies in disorienting the letters and yet they have the hypocrisy to tell people that if they are going to 'misrepresent' the letters that than they (the DVLA) would prefer if people did not buy the plates!

Completely agree with you T1f, the DVLA do seem to be hypocrites when it comes to the orientation of the letters, spacing and use of dots to alter the appearance letters/numbers.

I wouldn't buy a personal plate for my everyday cars, but on something a bit special a personal plate is fine, esp if it is specific to the car. F 328 GTS would be perfect.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Comrades,

And this is the absolute truth - I did observe the following registration number for sale in the Sunday Times some years ago: C1 JNT . . . . CUNT. It's the truth, really, really it is. This would go well with PEN 15 archiegibbs :)

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Vulcan F-40,

You make me laff twice today :rofl:

Guys - someone said that my plate was indicative of my hygene issues - Body Order which is pretty obvious if you have met me - So I have a smelly plate.

I met Mr Vulcan - through Boxer at the the Ferrari Fun Day - Little did I know how much Fun he is :D He suggested after asking my initials that he had 456 AK - but little did I know he was such a jester in the nicest possible way.

I got B19NDO - B&O - Bang and Olufsen - Or Body Odour - as I like to collect 90's stuff nothing serious hence the plate - got it for a few hundred which I thought was not excessive. mainly to hide the Age of the Car not much else as "Dad" would have killed me to find out age/price etc.

So there you have it.

kindest regards Aamir

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Vulcan F-40,

You make me laff twice today :rofl:

Guys - someone said that my plate was indicative of my hygene issues - Body Order which is pretty obvious if you have met me - So I have a smelly plate.

I met Mr Vulcan - through Boxer at the the Ferrari Fun Day - Little did I know how much Fun he is :D He suggested after asking my initials that he had 456 AK - but little did I know he was such a jester in the nicest possible way.

I got B19NDO - B&O - Bang and Olufsen - Or Body Odour - as I like to collect 90's stuff nothing serious hence the plate - got it for a few hundred which I thought was not excessive. mainly to hide the Age of the Car not much else as "Dad" would have killed me to find out age/price etc.

So there you have it.

kindest regards Aamir
Dear Comrade Aamir,

I am still very disappointed that you have not grasped with alacrity my kind offer of allowing you to acquire the registration number FUK IT for the modest sum that I had suggested :)

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
BOL 10 X is another favorite of mine, would look good on a 1982 Mark V Cortina.

Here are a few more Uk plates

PL55 OFF or P 155 OFF

OSH 1 T

W 4 NKS or W 411 KER (would need a black dot between the 1's)

Better get on with some work now:D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I like personal plates sometimes and sometimes I hate them. Just depends on the statement someone's making. The 512BB I looked at at Fosker's had the plate BOX1R, which I thought was nice.

Because I've got an English-registered car now, I thought I'd have a look today at what's for sale. There are some nice plates for sale but my word can they be expensive. I'm partial to a couple of plates I found:

74 BB is perfect for my car (a 1974 BB after all) but 6.5k GBP is a bit much.
V12 BOX I really like because of the joke that the Boxer's engine is really a 180 degree V-12, not a true Boxer engine. That's 3 grand.

And then there's B8 BOX - nice and neat for 1k.

Ah well, let's first see if I can get the car registered in my name in the UK.... ;)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Onno, unfortunately you can't have V12BOX or B8BOX on a 74 car, the plate must be from the same year or prior to the cars first registration.

74BB is OK as it is from pre 1960's
V12BOX will be from 1999
B8BOX will be from 1984

Hope this helps. If you need any advice, just PM me with the reg no's and I'll tell you if they are OK to go on a 74 car.

I have the same problem, with my own plate I have to buy a car registered after 1st Aug 1989 if I want to keep my plate. That gives me very limited scope when it comes to 328's

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Onno, why don't you go for something like NED365 or HOL365, or ONO365
Dear Comrade archiegibbs,

When I was a young man there was a well known brand of condoms called ONO. Accordingly, I do not recommend that Onno acquires the registration number ONO 365 as you have suggested as the adverse connotation may be that he would be okay for 365 shags per year - one each day. Indeed, this may well be the case but would Onno wish to advertise this fact?

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Dear Comrade archiegibbs,

When I was a young man there was a well known brand of condoms called ONO. Accordingly, I do not recommend that Onno acquires the registration number ONO 365 as you have suggested as the adverse connotation may be that he would be okay for 365 shags per year - one each day. Indeed, this may well be the case but would Onno wish to advertise this fact?

With kind regards,

Vulcan
Dear comrade Vulcan F-40,

If I was getting it 365 times a year, I would be very happy to shout it from the top of Ben Nevis, Snowdon or Scar Fell Pike.

Anyway, dear comrade JazzyO is from Holland, everyone is very liberal over there. Although not as liberal as the Danes, I have bad memories of a man in a pink shirt trying to chat me up in a bar in Copenhagen on my stag weekend:eek:

Best regards

1 - 20 of 42 Posts