Ferrari Life Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
These cars are a labor of love :) Your car is brown? If so I remember when you had just fixed it all up or were at the tail end. Yes try the simple things : spark plugs, spark plug wires(a damaged wire can create issues). Can premature detonation cause backfires? Which gasoline do you use? Just some thoughts.
The color of my Dino is "Marrone Dino Metallizzato."
I've been using Chevron Non-Ethanol 89 octane ever since the car has been repaired (probably almost three years now). I added some octane booster when I just filled the tanks up.
I have some promising news. I took the Dino out for a 20 - 25 miles round trip to Costco this morning (the first trip in the Dino since I installed the NGK Iridium IX plugs (NGK BPR7EIX 4055 Iridium Spark Plugs) and the car ran very smoothly. There was one small backfire during the initial warmup (way softer than the previous backfires). I have to admit that I babied the car on my way to Costco, but, I drove it a lot harder on the way home and still no backfires. I ordered a set of the NGK Iridium Spark Plugs BPR8EIX (6684) which are supposed to be the correct plugs for the Dino and will have to adjust the gaps to 0.30" as they are pre-gapped as 0.25" from the factory since I have a MSD module installed.
I'm hoping for the best. This is the best that the Dino has run in a long time. If something else pops up, I'll continue to investigate the electrical system as the primary culprit.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That is great news.

The really old people here remember when a brisk drive with high revs was called "an Italian Tune-Up"
It really does help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
That is great news.

The really old people here remember when a brisk drive with high revs was called "an Italian Tune-Up"
It really does help.
Thanks Scott. It was so pleasant to be able to cruise along with only and nothing warms your heart like that distinct sound that blasts out of the exhausts. Sometimes a new set of hot plugs and an old fashion "Italian tune-up" to cure the ills and warm your heart. This is why I've owned this Dino for forty one years and counting!

81 - 83 of 83 Posts