Ferrari Life Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks Dave. The shop does have top notch equipment. They were the only shop in the state that had the proper equipment to measure the chassis of the Dino to determine if the frame had been compromised by the impact. Luckily, nothing moved and all of the measurable points on the chassis matched the factory specs. These Dinos are tough! I'm waiting for further updates of the reassembly of my car and hopefully a definite time frame for its return to the road.

Hawaii 5-0

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My Dino is slowly being reassembled. Here are some of the latest photos that the body shop emailed to me. The photos aren't the best, however, they show that there has been a lot of progress and the Dino looks more and more like I remembered it. Once all the reassembly is complete, my mechanic will fly to Kona and thoroughly check all aspects of the car to correct all the things that can go wrong if a car sits for four and a half years. I can see the light at the end of this very long tunnel. :wink4:

Hawaii 5-0

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Help needed on the rear glass installation

I just visited my Dino and it is in the final stages of the repairs. I inspected the car and noticed that the rear windshield has been installed with a new rubber molding. The problem is that I also noticed that the chrome molding that fits into the rubber molding seemed to be poorly installed. The surface of the chrome molding appeared to be "wrinkled" in many areas and a section of the molding had popped out from the rubber molding. Has anyone had experience in re-installing the rear glass? If so, a step by step description would be greatly appreciated. Also, I need to know if I have to replace this chrome molding, is it available? Or can I have a chrome shop repair the surface of the metal molding and rechrome it? Any recommendations would be appreciated. This is the last hurdle that needs to be cleared so my car can be shipped back to me and my mechanic can work on the car to check everything out before it can be fired up and driven. Thank you everyone for your help and guidance. this five year plus journey may soon be over.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Left Rear Side Marker Light Bezel and Light Assembly FOUND!

I have been hunting unsuccessfully for the last month looking for a NOS or reproduction for a Left Rear Marker Light Bezel and Light Assembly for this Dino. As you can see from the very first photo in this post, the quarter panel of the Dino was crushed and the side marker light assembly was completely destroyed. Then I ran across an auction for a NOS Dino side marker light assembly on eBay recently. I found out who the seller was (luckily they had a website and a business in MA.). The company selling the Dino marklight was Rowley Corvette Supply in Rowley MA. Apparently, they're cleaning out the old parts from their parts department and they had some old NOS Ferrari parts from the 80's that were purchased from FAF (I used to buy my Ferrari parts from FAF in the 80's, so, I was familiar with the company). I purchased the Dino side marker light assembly directly from them because I had seen a listing for a NOS Dino Left Rear Side Marker Light Bezel. Unfortunately for me, by the time I contacted them, the bezel had been sold and they hadn't updated their website. Luckily, I got the Light Assembly. Here are some photos from Rowley Corvette of the marker light assembly. These photos match exactly the light assembly that I received from them. Here is a link to their website where they have other NOS and used Ferrari parts of older Ferraris: Rowley Corvette Used & NOS, Discontinued Ferrari Parts * 1968-1974 *, Corvette Nomad, Camaro, GTO, Monte Carlo, Elcamino & Others

After purchasing two bezels (the shop order one and I tried ordering another from a different vendor) and neither of them was good enough to even attempt to use, I was directed to a new vendor who was highly recommended by a Ferrari restorer. The company that I was directed to was Squadra Nuvolari. They produce exact reproductions of various lenses, rubber pieces, interior plastic pieces that one might need in restoring an older Ferrari. I contacted Antonio Covelli at Squadra Nuvolari and sent him detailed photos of the DIno bezel that I needed. He sent my photos to his suppliers and one of them had the correct profile needed to produce these bezels. They produce them in sets of four and they do a very limited run. Because I told him that the bezels on my Dino were black, supplier is producing my set in black. I believe the other in this production run will be chrome. Here is a link to their website where they list (with photos) the Ferrari parts that they currently are still producing. Ferrari Lights, Lens Sets, and taillights | Squadra Nuvolari

I hope this information helps someone in need of some hard to find parts. Once the bezel is produced and sent to me, it can then be fitted and installed, the Dino can be shipped to Oahu where my mechanic can finish installing the exhaust headers w/heat shields, check and correct any issues with the car sitting for over 5 1/2 years, then I will finally be able to drive it again!!! :steeringwheel: :wink4: :mexicanwave:

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
My Dino Is Finally Back On Oahu!!!!!

I am exteremely happy to report that my Dino was shipped from Kona back to Oahu on June 28, 2017 and I was able to pick it up and have it towed to my mechanic's shop for the final steps before the Dino will be completed. This is a major milestone for me after a six year journey in having the the Dino's damage repaired and the entire car repainted. If you look at the damage areas on the car in the photos on the first page of this thread, It is hard to imagine that the only body panel that needed replacing was the rear body panel. There was no damage to the frame, which is what I thought when I looked under the car right after the accident, but, I had to wait until the shop put all the gauges on the car while it was on their frame machine and ever measuring point lined up. Auto Body Hawaii did a fantastic job in repairing the damaged panels on the DIno and in laying down a beautiful paint job with a water based paint that is way more impressive than the original acrylic lacquer that was on it. Also, Dennison International Motorsport in Puyallup, Wa. played an instrumental part in the repairing of my Dino by masterfully manufacturing the rear body panel, the exhaust headers (front and rear), and the fiberglass and aluminum trays in the trunk floor. And a big thank you to Scott (SCM246) whom I met on this forum for allow Dennison International to use his original trunk floor pan to create molds from which the fiberglass pieces were formed. I am just posting a few of the photos I took of my Dino when I went to the dock to get it with my mechanic.
Thank you everyone here at this forum for all of your suggestions and assistance in directing me to parts suppliers or just suggestions and your support throughout this looooooong journey. It's not over yet, but, it's pretty close to having my Dino back on the road where it belongs.

Hawaii 5-0

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've got an amber lens with a black bezel with the same Carello PN. Does that help you? It's in very nice shape. I don't think I have the white bulb holder, but need to look around a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thanks for the offer David, but, I found a place that had the castings to produce reproductions of the bezels. The only problem is that they only produced them and sold them in sets of four. The side marker light bezels specifically shaped for each corner of the car. The L/R will only fit on the L/R etc. The only thong that I'm still looking for is the Vehicle Emission Information Plate that is on the driver's side (Left side on the USA Model) drip tray that's attached to the left side of the engine bonnet. My drip tray must have been jarred loose from the imapct and I did not realize that it was gone until a few days after the accident. I hoped that it fell into the bowels of the engine compartment and would be found during the repairs, but, it wasn't found. if you run across an Emission Information plate for a 1972 USA Model Dino 246 GT keep me in mind and contact me. I'm still hunting for one. I missed a used one by a few weeks. So, I guess it might pop up somewhere. I found that the wording on the plate for the 1972 USA Model is specific to that year only. It says,"This Vehicle Conforms To The U. S. Dept. Of H.E.W." all of the others say "Dept. Of E.P.A."
Thank you again for the offer. I hope to have my Dino back on the road and racking up the mileage on it. BTW, when the Dino was shipped back to me on a rack, I checked the mileage on the car and found that it had only gained one mile since the accident six years ago!! I guess that's one of the perks of having a non-driveable car (currently the exhaust system is not installed and I'm having every system in the car checked out before it's started for the first time in six years). It's better to be very careful at this stage. This car was my daily driver and I miss driving it, although, I know I'll have to be wary of the crazies on the road. But, this car was built to be driven.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hi, I'm the owner of the Dino in this thread. I had to remove my Dino from my mechanic's shop because he needed a "break" from working on my car. He found a leak in the A/C hoses that runs from the engine compartment through the passenger side rocker panel to the A/C condenser in the front of the car. He just informed me that he won't be able to get me back in his shop until Nov. of this year (which will make it 3 years since he last worked on the Dino). He had installed an MSD module in the Dino while it was in his shop and the following issue may or may not be related to this install. I should mention that the Dino did exhibit this backfiring before, but, usually only after it had been sitting idle for a few months. However, the backfiring usually only occurred and low speeds and would eventually go away if the car is driven regularly. As this was my every day car, once I started driving it every day, the issue eventually went away.

The problem is that the car has been intermittently backfiring and it has gotten worse over time. It is now occurring at low speeds, and at higher speeds. It occurs at deceleration and acceleration. I've had it occur while cruising at 70mph. Then suddenly, it will go away for an entire drive and then reappears the next time I try to drive the car. I think that it might be an ignition issue and will try to change out the spark plugs, then maybe replace the spark plug wires. I am currently running on Non-Ethanol Chevron 89 Octane gas. That's the only Non-Ethanol gas that I've been able to find here in Honolulu.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Honolulu who knows how to work on a Dino to help me solve this backfiring issue? It's really unpleasant to have all that "popping" coming from the engine while trying to drive around the city.

Any help on this search for a good Dino technician will be greatly appreciated. I love driving this car, but, I'm tempted to put it on jack stands and never driving it or just selling it. Thank you again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yeah, I know that selling it would be the easy answer, however, it's difficult to part with it. I'm going to try installing the NGK BPR7EIX 4055 Iridium spark plugs to see if these plugs will help alleviate the backfiring issue. Because, when it's running properly, nothing can be so sweet!

·
Registered
432 Posts
How many Ferrari mechanics let alone ones who know Dinos are in Hawaii? If you are committed to the car(emotionally and financially) find a good mechanic in California and ship the car here and get it sorted out. The other option as mentioned is sell it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
My 2019 Porsche GT3 can be thrown around in a turn not too far unlike the Dino driving experience on Mulholland type roads.
The Porsche has proper creature comforts A/C, is boringly reliable, and always raises eyebrows.
Since Porsche commiteed to stop building gas cars by 2030 the 991.2 GT3 is destined to be a future classic IMHO.
Sell the Dino, pick up a GT3 and pocket the $100k+ windfall

How many Ferrari mechanics let alone ones who know Dinos are in Hawaii? If you are committed to the car(emotionally and financially) find a good mechanic in California and ship the car here and get it sorted out. The other option as mentioned is sell it.
Perhaps just someone that can tune carburettors?
My bet is on fuel delivery not ignition - but I am arm chairing it from far away

·
Registered
432 Posts
The current mechanic also appears to be in over his head. I had a similar experience when was trying to get the engine in my 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo rebuilt. Mechanic #1 : This car is too old and parts are hard to find Mechanic #2: Car is too complicated, I'm done with working on it; sell it. Mechanic #3: No problem, here is how I will rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
My current mechanic is extremely good and knows the workings of the Dino very well. He even owned a Dino for a while and sold it to one of his customers. I'm hoping that the issue is electrical and is either in the plugs or the plug wires, or the distributor. I'm just getting frustrated because I know how good the Dino is when the motor is running well. I used it as my everyday car for over 25 years before it got laid up by the accident in this thread. The long idle period that the car had to endure before getting back on the road is partially the blame for the issues I'm dealing with right now. I'm hoping that the new set of NGK Iridium plugs that I just installed tonight will be the answer. I'll know more when I start it up tomorrow and if it's running better, I'll take it for a shakedown run to Costco and back home (about 25 miles).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The only time the Dino has ever been shipped anywhere is when I had to ship it to the Big Island (Hawaii Island) for the repairs that were done in this thread. The original owner who bought the car flew it to Honolulu from California via Pan Am. I guess he was in a hurry to get it here. Too many bad things can happen when shipping a car 3 thousand miles each way to be serviced. After enduring the 7years that it took to get it repaired from the accident in 2011, I wouldn't want to go through that again if it should be damaged in shipping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The current mechanic also appears to be in over his head. I had a similar experience when was trying to get the engine in my 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo rebuilt. Mechanic #1 : This car is too old and parts are hard to find Mechanic #2: Car is too complicated, I'm done with working on it; sell it. Mechanic #3: No problem, here is how I will rebuild the engine.
His main issue is that he has too many "long term" repairs taking up too many stalls. With five stalls to work on cars, you need to have each stall be productive in generating money for the business. However, he's so good as a mechanic because he is very meticulous in the workmanship of his repairs and I trust him 100% when working on my Dino. SO, I'll wait for him to find the time to work on my car even if it may be until November of this year. I'm just trying to figure out this irritating backfiring issue. It's more annoying because I know how much better this car should be running. I guess I'm just venting right now. If by replacing the plugs will solve this, then I'll be happy to be able to drive my Dino until he can work on it in November.

·
Registered
432 Posts
His main issue is that he has too many "long term" repairs taking up too many stalls. With five stalls to work on cars, you need to have each stall be productive in generating money for the business. However, he's so good as a mechanic because he is very meticulous in the workmanship of his repairs and I trust him 100% when working on my Dino. SO, I'll wait for him to find the time to work on my car even if it may be until November of this year. I'm just trying to figure out this irritating backfiring issue. It's more annoying because I know how much better this car should be running. I guess I'm just venting right now. If by replacing the plugs will solve this, then I'll be happy to be able to drive my Dino until he can work on it in November.
These cars are a labor of love :) Your car is brown? If so I remember when you had just fixed it all up or were at the tail end. Yes try the simple things : spark plugs, spark plug wires(a damaged wire can create issues). Can premature detonation cause backfires? Which gasoline do you use? Just some thoughts.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts