Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience or information regarding painting the black vinyl covered targa top for the 355 gts the color of the car (red)?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
rdb said:
Apparently it is not vinyl. It is fiberglass.
In that case this is what you'll have to do, at least this is what I did for football helmets in college, and we used car paint sprayers. First get a ton of paint thinner and remove the current paint. If there is a clear coat, which there probably is you may want to call a body shop and ask if this will take it off. If it will, just pour that paint thinner onto the top(two cans should be plenty) and take a old T-shirt and start rubbing it away untill it's gone. After you do this you will want to buy the sprayers I talked about, a good one is anywhere from $175 to $250 at Sears. If you do not want to buy the motor to pressurize the spray you can rent one. After this you should get the color you need, red, but you will probably have to mix it on the spot with a few other elements (not sure what but I had my hood repainted and they said they mix the paint there with something to get a real good match since its hard to get it exact strait out of the can). After you do this paint a few coats. Let dry and then add the clear coat for portection. This would be a fun project and you probably save a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself (I'm guessing total cost of doing it yourself is $350 with rental of the presurizer). Of course there is the self satisfaction too knowing you did it. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know acetone dissolves (quite quickly I'll add...) polyester resin before its mixed with the activator, but what about when its cured? Is it safe to use (although not to remove paint, the acetone evaporates too quickly before it can take a "bite" into it. But for other situations...)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I may be mistaken guys - but isn't the painted hardtop actually a very differnt panel to the vinyl one? I'm not sure whether you CAN paint the normal one or not....

·
Registered
824 Posts
My idea exactely, I guess you can buy a new painted one from the rack. You see them quit a lot and it is hard to tell the difference from a Berlinetta that way!

Niels

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's an older topic, so I'm not sure if your question is answered to your satisfaction already. But the top of my car is painted yellow and it seems that it is not that easy.

The previous owner had it painted in the car color. But he told me that he had it repainted twice before they got it right finally. So it has been sprayed 3 times in all.

The last time was over 2 years ago and it still looks good. But apparently the first 2 times the color started shifting after a few months. By what he told me it turned out to be a primer problem. Because the roof is a kind of fiberglass, the primer is very important and very different from what is used on the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The GTS tops are fiberglass, they just texturize the surface and paint it black to give it that vinyl look. If you want to paint it body color have a body shop sand it down "smooth" (obviously a little rough so the paint sticks, but smooth as in not texturized) and then paint it like a normal auto application. Like Peter said, I'd be real hesitant to apply chemicals to it, it's unncessary anyways as there is barely any paint on it, nothing like the body is painted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts