Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally love the option of having the paddle shifters, and even more so, I love the auto option for city drivings, but i have heard that the clutch does need to replaced more often, any other downfalls?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I personally love the option of having the paddle shifters, and even more so, I love the auto option for city drivings, but i have heard that the clutch does need to replaced more often, any other downfalls?
If the system is set up properly and driven correctly I have clients that have gotten over 50,000 miles of daily use including every day commuting on a clutch. I have one client with 110,000 miles on his 1999 360 with the 1st generation "Bad" software and just got his 3rd clutch only because a bad oil seal soaked his otherwise good clutch. Short clutch life is disinformation generated by "Internet experts" who should limit themselves to dispensing legal and medical advice or some other topic of which they have some knowledge.

The system is far more complex with some very expensive components which at some time may very well require replacement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never been a fan of shifters personally, then again maybe its because i have never owned a shifting car, aside from a mustang that i only had a week. I sucked balls at it, regardless... even when i was a kid and driving my dirt bike, i hated shifting so much i always would start the bike in 6th gear, needless to say, i ruined the clutches fairly quickly... maybe its time i invest in a cheap shifter car to learn on someday soon here...

Though, I still cant imagine that shifting in city traffic to be any fun, so when I get a ferrari, I will probably opt for the F1, hopefully they arent done going down in price.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I've never driven a car with paddle shifters but I've always enjoyed the gated shifter on the 308. It is a more mechanical engagement and you just feel like you are more a part of the machinery. Disengage the engine from the transmission, select your desired gear and then re-engage the engine and go for it. I know the paddle shifter is way faster but I'm no racecar driver looking to improve my lap times. I remember seeing once that the F1 tranny was like an $11,000 option. Not worth it in my book. At least for me. Just my $0.02.

BTW - If you need any legal or medical advice please feel free to contact me. I watch Law & Order and I recently took a CPR class so I think I can be considered an "Internet Expert" in both of those fields also. :) :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I have never been a fan of shifters personally, then again maybe its because i have never owned a shifting car, aside from a mustang that i only had a week. I sucked balls at it, regardless... even when i was a kid and driving my dirt bike, i hated shifting so much i always would start the bike in 6th gear, needless to say, i ruined the clutches fairly quickly... maybe its time i invest in a cheap shifter car to learn on someday soon here...
For my daily driver I prefer an automatic. Shifting gears in stop and go traffic is a pain in the ass. This is my time to drink coffee and play with the radio. For my fun cars, the Ferrari and the Jeep, they are both 5 speeds. I love the manual gearboxes and as I mentioned before, "Being a part of the machine."

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I sometimes agree with this. I have a 5 speed manual now, and in rush hour it isn't the most fun thing to do. I don't mind though, I love the feeling of it over an automatic. But then again I love my gas mileage, drop it in to fifth and I'm getting 28 in city. :D

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
For my daily driver I prefer an automatic. Shifting gears in stop and go traffic is a pain in the ass. This is my time to drink coffee and play with the radio.
I agree.

While I do like both shifting systems in the Ferraris the downfall of the F1 is that so many promote it as an automatic and better suited to urban use. Nothing can be further from the truth. That is the worst environment for it. It is far better suited to race tracks and mountain roads. There it really shines.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Good article Andrew. I like Torbin's reasoning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree.

While I do like both shifting systems in the Ferraris the downfall of the F1 is that so many promote it as an automatic and better suited to urban use. Nothing can be further from the truth. That is the worst environment for it. It is far better suited to race tracks and mountain roads. There it really shines.

But, what about the automatic mode?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
But, what about the automatic mode?
It is a manual transmission operated by a computer no matter what button you push. It's development is still in its infancy and the operation of a clutch is a complex set of calcualtions over all the various situations faced in everyday driving. To the human mind adept at operating a manual transmission it is quite simple. To a device as comparitively rudimentry as a computer it is still a difficult task.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Good article Andrew. I like Torbin's reasoning.
He is completely unaware of the mission of the technology and furthermore he is unaware of just how similar mechanically F1 and stick shift cars are.

It is not their intent to replace the stick shift, it never was. They have been caught by complete surprise how popular the system has been and have struggled to keep up with demand. The cars have only been a proving ground and development site for a technology they hope to develop to the degree it can replace the far costlier, less efficient and more complex automatic transmission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a manual transmission operated by a computer no matter what button you push. It's development is still in its infancy and the operation of a clutch is a complex set of calcualtions over all the various situations faced in everyday driving. To the human mind adept at operating a manual transmission it is quite simple. To a device as comparitively rudimentry as a computer it is still a difficult task.
Seems more like novelty then at the moment.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Seems more like novelty then at the moment.
Not novelty at all.

Look at what it did in F1 racing.

It is in the process of pushing automotive technology a substantial leap ahead and it was invented and developed by one of the smaller auto makers who specializes in sports cars. Before they are through it will replace the automatic transmission in busses, trucks and all manner of other vehicles because it is a simpler, lighter, more energy efficient method of power transmission.

You will be able to still have your manually shifted transmission but due to the F1, what we know now as the automatic transmission will go the way of the dinosaur.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The F1 transmission makes sense in racing, it serves a purpose. The only problem is in city I haven't heard many positive things. It seems that it wouldn't be practical as a replacement of an automatic transmission.

Chris

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The F1 transmission makes sense in racing, it serves a purpose. The only problem is in city I haven't heard many positive things. It seems that it wouldn't be practical as a replacement of an automatic transmission.

Chris
Chris,you are only 19 years old, I would not expect you to understand or even be knowledgeable of the 68 year history of the mass produced automatic transmission. You are of a generation that takes them for granted. The F1 transmission has only been available in street cars in a limited availability for just over 10 years. Trust me, in that 10 years they have progressed far more than the automatic did.
On top of that all your knowledge of the F1 system is second hand at best. You have been exposed to it on the internet which has been referred to as "The Worlds Largest Dumping Ground of Information, Good and Bad". That is so true. I took a lesson from my Father many years ago and it has stood me well. "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see". Translated to newspeak, don't take too much away from internet chat rooms as gospel truth.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Chris,you are only 19 years old, I would not expect you to understand or even be knowledgeable of the 68 year history of the mass produced automatic transmission. You are of a generation that takes them for granted. The F1 transmission has only been available in street cars in a limited availability for just over 10 years. Trust me, in that 10 years they have progressed far more than the automatic did.
On top of that all your knowledge of the F1 system is second hand at best. You have been exposed to it on the internet which has been referred to as "The Worlds Largest Dumping Ground of Information, Good and Bad". That is so true. I took a lesson from my Father many years ago and it has stood me well. "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see". Translated to newspeak, don't take too much away from internet chat rooms as gospel truth.
I don't think I really said what I mean clearly. I am relatively familiar with the automatic transmission and how it works, and the history. I drove an automatic for two years and was not fond of it, I now drive a manual transmission car. I do agree that I have no real world experience with the F1 transmission. I probably did jump to conclusions with it. The closest I've come to a paddle shifter was in a mitsubishi which isn't an F1 trans. I understand I take everything everyone says as a grain of salt, I don't take much away from chatrooms as truth. I truly shouldn't have put that post up. It wasn't what I meant.

I meant to say that at the F1 transmissions current state it doesn't seem practical for normal everyday vehicles. I've read about the F1 transmission and how it is very choppy in city driving, but again I've never driven one myself.

I did study the automatic transmission in high school, and I remember it was basically designed in the 1900s and wasn't used on American cars until 1940 which GM had it as an option. Now I know from 1940-1950 the Automatic transmission did not make one millionth of the strides that the F1 technology has in 10 years. For instance from the 1998 F355 to the FXX the technology is amazing.

So in final I just want to stress the fact that I don't dislike the F1 transmission in any way, I have never used one. I would prefer in the future to have an F1 transmission over the automatic transmission. I switched from the automatic transmission to the manual transmission because I did not like the lag or how the car was in control.

So my apologies if my comment came out to be as if I didn't like F1 transmissions. After reading my post without explanation it came out completely wrong.

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Including this statement.

Personally, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from internet forums, including this one. You just need to apply an intelligence filter to it, just as with anything else in life.

Onno
I agree, this site I have learned many great things. Now if someone said they saw Godzilla running down the street I don't think I would believe it;) (Sarcastic but not meant in a rude way). But I take great respect in what certain people say on this forum.

Chris

1 - 20 of 49 Posts