Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks, I posted this in the discussion when I should've done it here. Just to reitterate, it's hot in VA and I'm paranoid about running my car during the day. Is there any difference between 85 or 90 degrees and 95 to 100 degrees?? Again, make fun of me. I can take it! :oops:

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well Dane, what does your temp guage run on the days of 85 degrees to 90 degrees and 95 degrees to 100 degrees? I have run mine just recently and the temps approached 100 degrees during the day. I had the a/c on and the temp stayed between 195 and 200.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magoo,

Same-o. Just under 195 on the highway at 65mph; just under 200 in town but I don't stay in town too long. Sounds like I'm just the over-protective new parent...D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dane, I bought my 78 308 this year in Arizona and drove around in 112
degree heat. No problems,no sputters, just normal stuff. Dan

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dane Sander said:
Is there any difference between 85 or 90 degrees and 95 to 100 degrees??
There is a huge difference! I can handle 85 or 90 but I am down right miserable at 95 to 100! Seriously, I have not had a problem with the car running hot, just a problem with me running hot in the car. The AC doesn't work in my car. 95° outside, the sun big, bright and beaming down, top off, black leather interior and bumper to bumper traffic on US Route 1. On a day like that, I'll put on a sweater and take the truck. I also have to bring a scraper to scrape the ice off the inside of the windows so that the people in convertibles can see me shivering after they wipe the sweat out of their eyes. "Look Daddy! You can see that man's breath!"

Regardless of outside temp., my car seems to run at about 190° down the road and 200° in the bumper to bumper traffic.

The AC is on the list of things to fix, but not a priority. I am leaving for work on wednesday and won't be back until Sept. 11 so the AC won't even be an issue then. The status of the AC never bothered me when I got the car because it was a great deal and hey, I live in Maine. It never gets hot in Maine. Yeah right. This summer has been brutal. I even bought an AC unit for the house (when I finally found a store that had one in stock). Never thought I'd need one of those. It seems that all the CFC-propelled underarm deoderant I've been using over the years has created a hole in the Earth's ozone layer and caused global warming. I am really sorry about that guys. I'll switch to a roll-on.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dane,

Nothing to worry about with those water temperature guage readings. I get the same readings. When the water temperature gets over 195 degrees, your radiator fans should switch on and you'll notice the temperature go down to just under 195.

Barry

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks,

I drove the car yesterday. I put about a 110 miles on it, mostly highway miles; just cruising feeling good about myself. :) :) Don't get the wrong impression, my ego can't be seen without the help of a microscope, a really strong one at that.

Anyways, it was hot here, about 97-100. Car ran awesome. About 190 on the highway and 195 around town. Just great. I think the AC needs a recharge. Not a priority for me. Still can't believe that crease is gone.

I'm learning that the car is not happy in first gear under about 2500 rpms. Once I get there, acceleration is very smooth. I was sitting alongside a newer Mustang at a stop-light. I'm NEVER one to race but still found myself trying to get the car above that 2500 mark asap. Once I'm there, the car is just happy. It reminds me of how F1 cars sputter and moan with the rev limiters. They just sound sickly!

BTW, I haven't even listened to any music or the radio. The hissing of the Webers and the deep but gentle purr of the Tubi is something I'll never get used to hearing.

This is more than I ever expected.

Forza,

Dane

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dane,
I am so glad that your car is treating you well and has lived up to (and exceeded) your expectations. I am with you as I tend to listen to the music of the engine. The newness still hasn't worn off for me. I have a really nice CD player that I had in my Mustang that I am going to put in the Ferrari, but it just doesn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dane,

I'm happy to see you're enjoying your GTB. I think the more you drive it, the better it will be. This seems to be what many experience. The Ferrari likes to be driven.

Barry

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pete,

I feel the same as you. I enjoy the sound the Webers make. My car still has the original Blaupunkt AM/FM/Cassette installed in 1976 (no push-buttons). I usually leave it off.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts