Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
360 Spyder said:
My guess is that, with Christmas coming, a wife/husband somewhere, not really knowing the market and wanting to buy her/his husband/wife a new toy, would be the buyer at that price.
Fair point - but who buys a GTO without knowing the market? Even I'm not that crazy - and I'm known for buying stupid things!!!

360 Spyder said:
My question though is, do you concider the 288GTO a supercar to be compared to the likes of the F40/F50/Enzo?
Good question.

I think when you consider that the GTO was developed specifically for Group B - which was to be the ultimate showcase for the best manufacturers could offer - then you have to. In one respect - it's even more of a race car than the others. Ferrari has, at various times, stated that it wouldn't race the others - but the GTO was specifically a homologation model.

Also, the F40 was so heavily developed from the GTO that I think you have to talk about them in almost the same breath.

And finally - the GTO is the rarest of the four - which always counts for something!! :D

Having said that - this is purely my personal opinion - I'd be interested to know what anyone else thinks, including you Spyder!! 8)

Bazil

· Registered
770 Posts
mchferrari said:
I don't think the 288GTO has the look of an extraordinary supercar. Sure it may be fast as helll, but the F40/F50/Enzo have the supercar look to back the performance and price. The 288 looked to much like the 308/328, which are considerably "cheaper".
If the 308/328 had never existed - would you still say it doesn't look like an extraordinary supercar? No way!! The GTO looks exactly how a supercar should look!!!

It's not about whether or not it looks like a cheaper car - and besides, looking like another model of Ferrari hardly devalues it!! If it looked like a Skoda Estelle I could understand what you're saying!!!

· Registered
770 Posts
Fair enough - these things are all personal opinion.

What I'm trying to say is that I think you'd have thought the GTO was "supercar-like" before the F40, F50, Enzo were created.

Personally - I think the Testarossa could easily be added to the list. I remember when it was first launched - I felt the same way about it as I did when I saw the others for the first time - apart from the F50, maybe.

After the F40, the F50 kind of left me cold - it wasn't different enough from the F40 to really make me think "WOW"!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.