·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the link:

http://www.justinbanks.com/18-Main.html

opinions on someones recent buy ???

AD Text:
1982 Ferrari Mondial 8 - £5,995ll description!

Click on the menu to the left for over 50 pictures of this car

No, the price is not a mis-print! The problem is that our LHD Mondial is not very nice at all! I would like to use such terms as "wonderfully Original" or "Good for Year" but the truth is it is just knackered. However, one o This is a Left Hand Drive 1982 Ferrari Mondial 8 finished in Red with Black leather. The car has no Mot or Tax and has been in storage for a couple of years. This car does drive well but is being sold ostensibly for restoration. The car has a few problems that will need addressing if you choose. Having said all that the car has 84k Kilometres on the clock, is in the perfect colour combination and can be bought for the price of a Ford Fiesta! It would be perfect to a weekend hack at your European Retreat!
Interior:
The interior of our car is in fair condition. The seats are not badly ripped or torn but would benefit from connollising, the carpets are OK. There are Ferrari overmats in the boot that are also OK. The headlining is good but there are wires hanging loose on the dash which is probably the cause of the windows not working. All the guages seem to work as they should. The interior is not really that bad and I can see that it could be made perfect for very little cost.
Exterior:
This Mondial actually looks OK from a distance but upon close inspection, however, there is significant rust on many areas of the body. The wheels are extremely good and are not kerbed but the tyres have perished on their outer edge and would need replacing although they have plenty of tread. The boot lid wont shut and the o/s door needs a littel adjustment. There are also a few badges missing.
Mechanical:
Mechanically the car seems to be very strong. The problems are really those of lack of use such as the handbrake sticking etc. Other than this the engine starts first time and pulls strongly with absolutely no untoward noises. The suspension is good and the gearbox changes gear well. Recommissioning is what is necessary here.
Summary:
Apart from this being the cheapest Mondial in the world it is a rare Left hand Drive, pretty low, although unwarrantable, mileage. The car does need work and is sold strictly for restoration purposes and it will not come with an Mot or Tax. This, however you now know and you are paying the right price, you could easily spend £15k on a car and need to spend exactly the same amount of money to get it running well. Although there is no history you can start chasing the service records and find out where this lovely car has been in its life. This would make a great track day screamer or alternativley could be restored to its former glory or simply MOT'd and used as an everyday car! This car will probably sell quickly within the trade and be on a forecourt somewhere looking perfect in a couple of weeks so here is your chance to get a great car early and beat the dealers!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Questions are this…

1. Do you love the Mondial, especially the early years???
2. If you never saw this add, would you still be buying one in excellent condition?
3. If the answer is definitely yes to both, do you want to spend the money get it back to the deserving life it should have been given???

See for me I would not buy it, why? Because I don’t own one…what I mean is if I had a 348TB in excellent shape in my garage and could afford to give the Mondial what it needs financially then yes. But as a first Ferrari, no…I don’t want my first to be a fixer upper. I would only buy one as a second Ferrari to play with in the garage for a few years on my spare time and who knows, maybe some day become my daily driver and possibly a car for my daughter in a few years.

~

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm assuming it was you who has bought it, whether it's a bargain or financial suicide depends on what you've bought it for.
What is a concours' 82 Mondial 8 worth, £20K GBP tops? How much would it cost to get it to that state, probably not viable, don't waste your money.
However, if you've bought it for a bit of fun or tracking and only need to spend a couple of grand making sure the mechanics are OK it could be a bargain. As long as you don't have to spend too much money getting it roadworthy and sorting out the rust. I can't see you losing any money on it as the PP is so low.
Personally, I'd strip it right down, get rid of anything you don't need (seats, lights, elec windows...etc) and track it, could be a cheap car for the track and if you ended up writing it off, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world for you.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Shame it got into that state to start with. Probably the only way I could ever afford a Ferrari but I still wouldn't go there. I would like to see it brought back to its former glory but it is a "mass produced" Ferrari with no historical significance so the track car route seems a good option.

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shame it got into that state to start with. Probably the only way I could ever afford a Ferrari but I still wouldn't go there. I would like to see it brought back to its former glory but it is a "mass produced" Ferrari with no historical significance so the track car route seems a good option.
Not even sure it is worth the effort to turn it into a track car. The Mondial 8s were never known for their speed. If it was a Mondial 3.2 or t then maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Agreed, this car is not worth the effort and expense to bring it back. If you had the desire, the time and the space, you could make a little money by dissassembling it and selling the parts. But you have to wait for someone else to have an accident with theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Was not I sir.

You're a wise man;)
I would echo that sentiment, You are a very wise man!

The section entitled 'Detailing' is quite descriptive.

Here are a few shots highlighting the beautiful detailing of the vehicle.

Scroll down for more images.

There are no Pictures in this section.

Righto!

I like this bit in the blurb...

"As with all our cars, we have priced her for an immediate sale."

read 'We can't wait to get rid of this motor, it has already had the nuts thrashed out of it, give us your cash now!'

"If you have seen the cars that are out there, come and see ours and your search will be over."

Read 'So you want a Ferrari numbnuts? this is gonna put you off the Mondial for ever!'

My sincere apologies (and condolences) to the person who has purchased this vehicle for my unguarded comments - but what were you thinking?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If one were a master technician, this vehicle would be worthwhile. If not, then the car is worth more as parts.

my 2 shillings' worth.:)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Mondial 8

Found this in the town today - someone at work put me on to it.
Looks like another money pit - don't know what it cost to buy but it looks like it'll take some money to repair.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts