Ferrari Life Forum banner

Opening F355 Convertible Top

16K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Gcalo 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
i just bought a 1999 F355 Spyder F1, and i can't open the damn top. I open the latch on top and when i push the button for the top to go down, all i hear is a damn beeping noise.. Please help...

#2 ·
F355 Top

I got to work on one of these a while back that had the same problem. Here's what I found. There is a controller that looks at several things before it will start moving the top. Look in your owner's manual, but I recall that the parking brake had to be on, the doors had to be open (or was is closed?), and the top latch released. I did all of these things, and it still didn't work. Here's the kicker: When you undo the top latch and pull the top back a few inches, a microswitch in the top mechanism closes, sending a signal to the controller to go ahead and let you power down the top. This microswitch is buried in the top frame behind the driver's head. There are two very small screws that hold it in place, and although there is no adjustment, I was able to wiggle it enough to close the contacts. That solved the problem. Good luck, and tell me if that was it! --Steve

#3 ·
Do not forget that you need to not only unlatch the top but also lift it up a tad inorder to engage the microswitch...which then allows the motor to engage...when putting the top up it will close on its own all the way...but remember to put your hand up to keep it from slamming down...
hope that helps.

#11 ·
I have found on my 355 that I have to get the hydraulic pump primed. This requires alternating the up down switch. If I leave it in the down position it beeps and then times out.
The F355 Spider is the best looking of the great looking F355 range.
Always heard that the top is tricky. Friends with them always unlatch and then given the top a gentle push when it starts to go down.

#7 ·
Haha, thats a nice way to look at it. If I bought a F355 it would have to be a Spider, but if I bought a 360 it would have to be a coupe.

#14 ·
..... +1

I agree with you.

I think the 355 spider is the best looking spider Ferrari produced.
+2

I thought originally I wanted a 360 spider but decided it did not look as good as the coupe.

But when it comes to the 355 that has to be a spider.
+3

The F355 Spider is the best looking of the great looking F355 range.
+355 ......... that is exactly the way I see it :) ............ I was a hardcore coupe guy until ..... I got my 355 :D.................... and as you guys all said the 360 spider is not nearly as pretty as the coupe ............ and vice versa on the 355 series ....... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.