Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks to me like a bastardized 360... :nuts:

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Apart from the disgusting 512M wheels - which I've always thought were a criminal abomination of design and have no place on any Ferrari - I like it.

Not a clue what it is though!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
ForzaRossa said:
Looks like the Ferrari FX, prototype (one-off), made for the Sultan of Brunei and sold later to someone in the States...was an artical about it in a Forza a few months ago
My thoughts too

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
yep, it's one of the Sultan's cars
it now resides in a museum in california and it's goes on a drive from time to time, based a 512 M.

also it shouldn't be a one-off, it is believed that 3 - 5 are build

BTW yes it was in Forza but it was in issue 32 of october 2001

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I was a Sultan...

·
Registered
770 Posts
360 Spyder said:
I wish I was a Sultan...
I know what you mean - he's bought and sold a LOT of nice cars.

Funnily enough, this one is still for sale:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/talacrest/stock/95660.htm

It was originally purchased by him. In all the time I looked for a Testarossa or 512tr (many months) this was the only one I found that was in genuinely excellent condition. The only reason I didn't buy it was the colour - it was hideous. I spent ages trying to convince myself I liked it, but I just couldn't. If it'd been red, I'd have had my wallet out like an old time gunfighter!!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Bazil said:
The only reason I didn't buy it was the colour - it was hideous. I spent ages trying to convince myself I liked it, but I just couldn't.
Did you see it in person? I guess you have to see it in person, I find the color to be very "cool" as in easy on the eyes - opposite of warm. I think it is beautiful.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
True, I saw several cars in a sort of this color. Take a chair, sit in the showroom, look at it for an hour or two, and you'll buy it :D

·
Registered
770 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Did you see it in person?
I did see it in person, as the dealer is not very far from me. It was in immaculate condition - it really did look like new.

The problem for me was this. The Testarossa is all about visual impact. Its design screams "80's excess" at you. I felt that in this colour it just lost a lot of that impact. I struggled to see the curves of the body, and the fins - simply because of the colour, and that was what put me off.

Dr. Bob said:
Take a chair, sit in the showroom, look at it for an hour or two, and you'll buy it :D
That's pretty much what I did!!! I'd been looking for so long for a Testarossa/512tr in good condition, that when I found one I desperately wanted to like it - it was agonising!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess to each his own, but I like that color. Then again, I like the colors that are not seen as often.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
360 Spyder said:
. Then again, I like the colors that are not seen as often.
yep, i'm also like that
if i see a rare color, especially on a ferrari, then i always have problems leaving that car alone

sometimes it can be boring seeing a sea of red ferrari's, then it's wonderfull to see a different color, especially a rare one

·
Registered
749 Posts
Bazil said:
The Testarossa is all about visual impact. Its design screams "80's excess" at you. I felt that in this colour it just lost a lot of that impact. I struggled to see the curves of the body, and the fins - simply because of the colour, and that was what put me off.
Yes, I think that reds and yellows show-off any fins / ducts / scoops best as they have a higher contrast to the black shadows. On the other hand, metallics are best to flatter a curvaceous body as they produce a more gradual reflection of light over a curve, rather than a sharp cut-off. Well it seems to work on evening gowns!! :eek:

IMHO I think the "gun-metal" colour looks a bit too industrial, and would probably hide a lot of detail when in shadow. If I find this 512 in my Santa stocking I WON'T be sending it back though! :green:

·
Registered
770 Posts
4kids3fish said:
I think that reds and yellows show-off any fins / ducts / scoops best as they have a higher contrast to the black shadows.

...and would probably hide a lot of detail when in shadow.
That's exactly what I meant - only you've explained it considerably more eloquently that I!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Shucks, Baz, that's only to be expected. I do have a doctorate in "Colour Coordination in the Post Apocalypse Era" after all. :green:

I hope you've taken my prev advice and are wearing your Fawn Cardigan this Christmas. When combined with lightly-ribbed "Microwaved Latte" corduroys and "Crushed Almonde" lace-up loafers they make the definitive "I DRIVE A FERRARI" statement.
:eek:ha:

(Sorry Andrew - that was WAY off topic) :oops:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nah - I decided to ignore the problem. I now wear this to work every day.

Can't understand why people still continue to think I'm trying to make some kind of "I drive a Ferrari" statement :lol:

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Bazil said:
Nah - I decided to ignore the problem. I now wear this to work every day.

Can't understand why people still continue to think I'm trying to make some kind of "I drive a Ferrari" statement :lol:
LOL, very good humor. :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts