Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I blew some sort of water line, and so I coasted home, and let it cool off. Today I tried to locate the problem, when I ran the garden hose into the water reservoir, I saw it leaking right on top of the engine, under the body for air delivery to manifolds, it's the big thing in the middle top of the engine. Black on my '82 GTBi, red on newer QV models. So my question is: How much of that can I dissamble myself to get at the water pipes under it, and after I fix the water leak, can I just put everything back the way I took it apart? I'm not a mechanic, but I can take things apart and put them back together, but is this more difficult than I think? Will it just start and run exactly as it did before I took it apart? It started and ran perfectly. I'd love to do this myself. Today, I took the rear wheels off, the inner fenders off, and cleaned the wheels, and inner fenders, even painted them! Cleaned up whatever I could see in there too, way fun, but of course, I'd rather be driving so...........please advise me!! Ciao, Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Dennis. My 328 did the same thing shortly after I bought it. I'm leaving town in a few minutes, so I can't give you a detailed answer. But the short answer is yes, you can do it. When you put it back together, it will run just like it did before. -Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, THANKS Steve. I knew I could count on you, hey why don't you e-mail me, [email protected] when you get back, and I can ask more! Your advice is ALWAYS welcome, Ciao!! Dennis

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just occured to me that Steve said he was leaving town, so it might be a couple of days before I hear back from him, so.........although I've never worked on a car with fuel injection, can I just take the top of my '82 GTBi apart to access the water hoses beneath it, then put it back together and expect it to work just like it did before I took it all apart?? The fuel is not under any pressure is it? There's no special adjustments that I'll have to make after?? Can I just dissamble, then reassemble and be good with it? I plan to do this tomorrow, Monday, if I can, as it's a long weekend here and I don't have to go to work!! Ciao, and thanks in advance if y'all can help give me some confidence!! Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, Dennis, I am in Durango, Colorado for a week, and I've managed to grab onto some one else's Wi-Fi. I hope this makes its way to you.....

You will have to disconnect the injectors in order to get the plenum off. Do this right at the injectors. Don't disconnect them at the big fuel metering unit. You won't get more than a few drops of gasoline when you disconnect. One bit of advice - cap off each injector with a good rubber plug. Get any dirt in the injectors and you will regret it. Otherwise, it is just bolts and nuts. On my car, it was a fitting that was broken off under the plenum. I drilled out the broken piece, tapped it for 1/8 NPT, and used a barb fitting for the repair. Cost me all of $2.

When you are done and start up the car, it will run poorly until all the air is purged out of the fuel lines. Good luck. I'll be back in Phoenix July 8, and we can talk more...

I'd better send this off before the signal disappears. -Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, I thought you were hiking in the woods? You always have access to the internet, don't you! Well, I got it all apart and found the problem, now to order new parts, from Ricambi America, I guess? I'll clean and paint the plenim top, wrinkle black with polished FERRARI script, and clean up everything else I can while I'm in there! Any hints on how to clean the bare metal parts, like the throttle body? I started with a Dremel and small wire brush attachment, but is there some sort of polish I could use to give it a more uniform finish? Thanks, buddy, how was the hike? Dennis

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm just doing day hikes, but the wi-fi connection is spotty. It was 96 degrees here yesterday,but the hiking is still fun.

Trying to get a uniform finish on the throttle body is tough because of all the nooks and crannies. I used my walnut shell blaster, which cleans up the surface nicely without changing the original finish. Know anybody with walnuts? Don't use sand or glass beads because they will get into the throttle shaft, but walnut shells are too large.

Let's see some photos of the plenum when you are done.

Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve, I have to phone somewhere to order hoses and gaskets, where? Ricambi? Nick Forza? I need to talk with someone that will know the parts I need, by description! Can't call today though, 4th of July!! Happy Independence Day!! Of course I'll send pictures, and I did manage to clean up the throttle body pretty good with some Autosol Metal Polish, and my Dremmel, good enough anyway!! Keep hiking, and sweating in that heat, but having fun all the while! Cheers! Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, Dennis, that looks outstanding! Took you several hours, I suspect. Well done.

As for parts sources, I assume you have to get them from the U.S. ? I get all my stuff from GT Car Parts in Phoenix. I don't have the phone number up here, and they don't have a web site, but if you search my other posts, you'll find it. Dave or Bill are terrific at identifying parts; they have been doing this for at least 25 years. Of course Ricambi is a sponsor of this site, so you might want to give them a chance, too.

Tomorrow is our big hike to almost 13,000 feet. Usually get hailed on a little even if it's 90 degrees in Durango.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts