Ferrari Life Forum banner

Oil filters on 308

20K views 62 replies 12 participants last post by  robertgarven 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, Hate to beat a dead horse, but this oil filter thing has me stumped. Oil psi on start up getting slower, so I shut the car off and let it sit for 24 hours. Pulled off the fram filter I got from a ferrari dealer, not a drop in it. Let it sit mounting face up, looked in with a shop light no oil.
Dealers going to send a new one, any ideas??? Dan

#27 ·
No Bruno, I haven't checked a Baldwin But there are a lot of guys I know who swear by them. I think they all leak off over time. I also know a lot of guys have sworn off the UFI since the filter oil seal to the filter mount on the motor was blowing out and pumping oil onto the engine. There were many. I don't know if they have that problem corrected or not. A lot of guys will not go near them now.

#28 ·
Yes UFI had a recall.It is suppose to be fixed. What is the baldwin number for 308? Will try. The ufi does hold the oil back longer than fram and mobil 1. However even after an oil change with a new empty filter my pressure comes up in 2-3 seconds. Not 7-8. I think his gauge or sending unit is sticking. Also I am going to post a pick of the most worn area of the seat in my 400.Tell me if you think the dye we discussed will improve it or if I should leave it alone.

#31 ·
Hey Guys, Talked to the parts Mangr. at the dealer today. He told me he got in some UFI filters, and I should have it by Wednesday. I'll post my cold start time to see if it is the filter or something else. If anybody is interested, its Continental Auto Sports in Hinsdale Ill. Phone is
630-655-3535 parts mangr. is Randy. Dan

#32 ·
Hey Guys, Talked to the parts Mangr. at the dealer today. He told me he got in some UFI filters, and I should have it by Wednesday. I'll post my cold start time to see if it is the filter or something else. If anybody is interested, its Continental Auto Sports in Hinsdale Ill. Phone is
630-655-3535 parts mangr. is Randy. Dan

#33 ·
That UFI filter I turned upside down back when this thread started just now stopped leaking oil.The Fram has been empty. Looks like the UFI does retain the oil and prevent bleed down better than the fram. When I pull the baldwins off my 400 I will test them also.

#34 ·
Oil filters/drainback

In 5/90 I was told that in South Florida they had experienced flow/filtration problems with Ufi and Baldwin filters, and that the Fram 2804-1 was recommended. I had been using Baldwin filters and switched. I've always had a concern for dry start-ups, and in 2/93 installed a Mecca 2429 check valve in the line that goes from the block to the oil filter base. This line also includes aftermarket front-mounted and OE oil coolers. Prior to installing, this valve was subjected to a month's testing using a variety of low viscosity fluids, including 3-In-1 oil, gasoline, and Mobil 1 15W-50. Zero leakage. The valve, which requires only the slightest pressure to open was also satisfactorily pre-tested for flow. I've checked the oil pressure light with a stopwatch several times in a variety of temperatures and consistently found it to go out in about 1.5 seconds, with the gauge needle moving instantly thereafter. The only drawback is the valve's weight, and that was mitigated by placing it closest to the block fitting, and wrapin it in a layer of neopreme held in place with zipties.

#38 ·
308 oil filters/anti drainback valve

No photos, though I should be able to shoot a couple next weekend. Obstructions may prevent clear views. Setup is nothing fancy, just Aeroquip lines & fittings. Lines route oil through the coolers (first front, then standard rear) before entering the filter base, where the line attaches in the usual manner.

#39 ·
Re: 308 oil filters/anti drainback valve

ferrari01 said:
No photos, though I should be able to shoot a couple next weekend. Obstructions may prevent clear views. Setup is nothing fancy, just Aeroquip lines & fittings. Lines route oil through the coolers (first front, then standard rear) before entering the filter base, where the line attaches in the usual manner.
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing those pictures as I'm sure most the guys in this section are. After switching to the Mecca line filter what filter did you switch to?

#40 ·
308 oil filters/anti drainback valve

Thanks. Top and bottom views are attached, though regretfully only the top and bottom of the valve are barely visible in each shot. Valve is black and wrapped in neopreme sheet held in place with zipties. The valve is downstream of the blue fittings in the top view, and since it's heavy for its size, would require a mounting bracket if fitted inline between the block and OE oil cooler. My car has a second (front) cooler through which the oil flows enroute to the rear cooler, and that is the reason for the valve's placement. Although the valve's direction of flow is clearly marked, I'd ask anyone choosing to try it to please check their work carefully prior to firing the engine, as an error would surely be disasterous.
Previous filters were Ufi and Baldwin 253. I've never been a fan of Fram's filtration based on tests seen in the stoneage, but have religiously used their 2804-1 with standtube for years on this car based on others' recommendations; not that they were great filters, but rather that other brands seemed to have had their own other problems. Have occasionally seen Fram PH8A and HP-1 filters used by Ferrari owners, and hope none of you are using them, since they lack the standtube.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
In my opinion, Fram Oil Filters suck, due to production problems since they make most of them in China,
also UFi and tecnocar filtri seem to share the same italo/US/Chinese production lines and
manufacturing issues by a company called SOGEFI / Allied Signal....

http://www.sogefigroup.com/de/produkte/produkte-fur-den-aftermarket.html

http://www.filtri-tecnocar.com/it/index.html

the last Fram I had, featured a big hole in the filtering screen media, right from the factory.
This is Chinese or Mexican made crap- sorry.

Even Baldwin filters are not the best you can get, try German MANN AND HUMMEL
or SCT Filters (also from Germany) they work best and have a reliable Porsche, Audi, BMW, VW
and Mercedes tested OEM Quality.
You can trust them blindly.

I only use them, please click the following link:

THE BEST German made MANN Oil Filter for your FERRARI 308 328 246 206 Fiat Dino | eBay

There you can see the difference between Fram crap and German high quality Mann filters.

The best filter you can buy for a classic Ferrari looks like this, its MANN & HUMMEL
German high quality filter ware from Stuttgart. You can get them on the ebay link before right from Germany.
There is no better made filter than those German autobahn tested longrange filters.

Best regards
Yorck

#42 ·
I disagree completely.

Fram filters do suck but they share nothing in common with UFI.
Sorry, wrong info. The exterior dimensions are not even the same.

Baldwin filters in my experience are quite good while my experience with Mann filters has always left me feeling they were far from a top quality piece. There is certainly nothing seriously wrong with them, someone using them will be reasonably well served but to use them and toss aside perfectly good UFI and better still, Baldwins are available at so many places in the US solves nothing.

Additionally the filter you show in your Ebay ad has no stand pipe. If it crosses over to the list you gave it does not meet the required specifications and can damage Ferrari applications.

You really need to do better homework, that is not a good filter choice for the Ferrari's.

#49 ·
Fram filters do suck...
I agree with that. I have seen Fram filters blowup two $15k+ racing motors.

My question, for Brian and others, is: What do you think of Wix filters for Ferraris'? I have used them on all of my racecars, and so has my team members, and we've never had any problems from them. I've seen Fram and K&N have the guts of the filter sucked out by the motor and clog the oiling system, causing "oil pan failure".

#43 · (Edited)
Hallo,

maybe you have only seen the US made Mann "ML type" of their "budget overseas filter line" ,

Here you can see the US made Mann Filter, these are not the excellent German made ones.
They are okay but there are better Manns around here in Europe :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqosalQDQ-A

Only the "W" "Micro top" (Please notice the difference in colour and stamping of the case)

http://www.van-cafe.com/shop/images/DSCN0090_edited-2.jpg

http://www.scheer-heizsysteme.de/re...NN-Grossflaechenfilterpatrone_und_Adapter.png

filters are those excellent longrange German made filters.
W type Mann filters have stamped "made in Germany" on the case,

(and the printed barcode on the case beginns with a 4 on all German made filters !)

the ML type filters are Made in the USA or Brazil, those are not made by
Mann Stuttgart themself they are contract manufactured by another US Company
maybe Champion labs...those are mediocre.
You can use them but the real German ones from Stuttgart are much better!

In Germany we have tested all kinds of filters, believe me, the only
excellent crafted Filters with the largest filter media surface and best working anti drainback valve are
GERMAN MADE Mann, Bosch or Knecht / Mahle....some SCT are also nice.
But Mann Filters are most common here and well regarded by European sports car enthusiasts.

Attention also with Bosch "Premium" Filters in the USA they are also not the German ones,
just like the Mann filters overseas they are made by a US or Brazilian Company and those are mediocre as well.
You can also use them, but they are not the German HQ ones.
In Germany Bosch Filters are made by Mann, and even Purolator Filters are made by Mann for the European market ;-))

Regarding UFi, open one, in the past they were good, today they look different and share some Quality issues
with the Frame HP1 filter (The better Fram line) but instead of the paper endcaps they have metal endcaps
so they might come from another Asian Source than those Chinese Frams we see everywhere now...
I have seen Frams with "MADE IN CHINA" inscription. Dont want "Made in China" on my Ferrari.

Best regards

#44 ·
Hallo,

maybe you have only seen the US made Mann "ML type" of their "budget overseas filter line" ,
only the W stamped micro top filters are those excellent longrange filters.
W type Mann filters have stamped "made in Germany" on the case,
the ML type filters are Made in the USA or Brazil, those are not made by
Mann Stuttgart themself they are contract manufactured by another US Company
maybe Champion labs...those are mediocre.

In Germany we have tested all kind of filters, believe me the only excellent
Filters with the largest filter media surface and best working anti drainback valve are
Mann, Bosch or Knecht / Mahle....some SCT are also nice.
But mann are most common here.

Attention also with Bosch Filters in the USA they are also not the German ones,
just like the Mann filters they are made by a US Company and those are mediocre as well.
In Germany Bosch Filters are made by Mann ;-))

Sorry

No sale.

#45 · (Edited)
Done my homework using the German HQ
Mann Filter
W 940/1
on my Dino 2400 by myself:
The filter is also "downward compatible" to a humble Fram PH8a and Hp1
BUT IT HAS A STANDPIPE for the case of a vertical mount on a Ferrari.
If you mount the filter opposite direction like on most other cars, the standpipe is useless
but does not harm anything. (For example when hanging on a Chevy V8, where it also fits)
In Germany many hot rodded VW KÄfer use this filter too because of its great strength when
a high pressure oil pump is added to a VW or Porsche Flat 4 / 6.
A normal Fram PH8a tends to explode when installed on a high oil pressure application, so they take
this Ferrari HD Filter.

here is the standpipe, on an opened Mann Filter W940/1
for use on a Ferrari Dino and 308/328/400 etc--- and even some Toyota (!) the level keeping pipe ist integrated in the inner
Filter tube. This is not an UFI or Fram exclusive patent ;-)
Lever cant drain when Filter is mounted vertical.
And there is an aditional anti drainback valve.
Mann suggests the Filter for Ferrari 246 and 308.
The German engineers at Mann know what to do to make the best filter quality.
Remember they are Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Ford Europe OEM manufacturer.
So nothing easier than making a perfect Ferrari V8 and V6 Filter.

Best regards
Yorck

#47 · (Edited)
Here are the Filter specs for the HQ Ferrari Filter made by Mann & Hummel in Stuttgart
Type W940/1:

FIAT DINO 2000 V6 4 OHC
FIAT DINO 2400 V6 4 OHC
FIAT 130 2800 / 3200 LAMPREDI V6 DOHC

206/246 GT Dino

206/246 GTS Dino

208 Turbo/308 GTB/GTS

208/308 GT4 Dino

328 GTB/GTS

328 GTS

365 GT 2+2

365 GTB Daytona

365 GTS Daytona

400 i

412 i

512 BB

Mondial

Mondial Cabrio

#48 · (Edited)
Another excellent Ferrari Oilfilter is the
Mannol - SCT - SM133 (SM = SUPER MIGHTY QUALITY ) from
a smaller Oilfilter Company based in Hamburg / Germany.
It also has the anti drainback tube plus an extra valve.

German Mannol SCT SM 133 High Quality Ferrari Oil Filter

SCT Corporation Hamburg is one of the leading manufacturers in Germany for TAXI, Truck and Van applications
they make HQ longrange Oilfilters these Filters feature OEM Quality
and a very good price/performance ratio,

Here is their nice online catlogue:

http://www.sct-catalogue.de/?action=cataloghttp://www.sct-catalogue.de/en/?action=catalog

#52 · (Edited)
Now here is very good sample of refined German craftmanship
Its a SCT SM 108 Oilfilter
(A Fram PH8A competitor used for Chevy 350 V8.... basically its the same Filter
as the SCT SM 133 Ferrari Filter except the 133 type has the anti drainback tube inside...)
Any of these SCT Filters has 65 filter plates, very well organized without that typical "mess", found in most
Cheap Filters.
Please notice the excellent double spring loaded connection between the outer filter case, the Filter engine-thread
connection plate and the Filter element by itself----I have not seen this kind of coilspirng loaded HD "interface" between
the components on any US or / China made Filter! Even Mann does not have this double secured filter..
Is it really needed? I dont know, its nice if you find this refined technology inside your OEM filter...cant be wrong.

Excellent fine quality grade of the filter media itself.

By the way, the little "dents" found on the side of the top metal plate are correct,
in fact its pure smartness!
Sct uses them to prevent the filter element
turning and rocking inside its housing.
Ever found that in a Wix or Ufi?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.