Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The December issue of Octane Magazine, the Editor, Robert Coucher, makes the following statement ...."The 288 GTO is a proper racing car unlike the poodle-faking F40.":argh::argh::argh:

I think he needs to stop standing behind his XK 140 while it is idling.

Yet another journalist making broad comments on a car in which he clearly has little to no experience. I used to have more respect for Mr Coucher opinion. Net net, Octanes credibility just dropped a few notches IMHO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I remeber correctly the F40 did actually race, Lemans even, and the 288 GTO never did. A statement based on a house of cards IMHO..not what you expect from a professional journalist..

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
The December issue of Octane Magazine, the Editor, Robert Coucher, makes the following statement ...."The 288 GTO is a proper racing car unlike the poodle-faking F40.":argh::argh::argh:

I think he needs to stop standing behind his XK 140 while it is idling.

Yet another journalist making broad comments on a car in which he clearly has little to no experience. I used to have more respect for Mr Coucher opinion. Net net, Octanes credibility just dropped a few notches IMHO.
I've read that report on the 288 GTO too. Interestingly, his conclusion at the end of the report says that the greatest driving pleasure of the F-Supercars is driving the F50 (!!) That should calm you down Boxer :grin:
Besides I've never driven a 288 GTO and have absolutelly no comparison experience to the F 40. Does one of you guys out there have an actual comparison experience between the 2 models?
Looking at the rough power/weight ratios I hardly can believe that a 288 GTO should almost equalize the F40 acceleration feeling ?!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that report on the 288 GTO too. Interestingly, his conclusion at the end of the report says that the greatest driving pleasure of the F-Supercars is driving the F50 (!!) That should calm you down Boxer :grin:
Besides I've never driven a 288 GTO and have absolutelly no comparison experience to the F 40. Does one of you guys out there have an actual comparison experience between the 2 models?
Looking at the rough power/weight ratios I hardly can believe that a 288 GTO should almost equalize the F40 acceleration feeling ?!
I have not yet read the full article on the 288 GTO. Only his editoral at the front of the magazine. After the F40 poodle comment, I lost interest.......

·
Registered
453 Posts
A repost that i wrote for the Scudrunners forum today, but it adds to this thread.
--------------

The magazines do talk shit, but do you think he was referring to the fact that the 288 was originally conseved for the group B http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_B racing serious? As was the Poc 959.
If so then maybe he should have been a little more clearer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The only way that argument could hold any water is if it was referring to the GTO Evoluzione...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The December issue of Octane Magazine, the Editor, Robert Coucher, makes the following statement ...."The 288 GTO is a proper racing car unlike the poodle-faking F40"
That "poodle-making" statement had me puzzled on two grounds: 1. What is poodle-faking? 2. How can he imply that the GTO is more of a race car than the F40 when the F40 has more of a racing history-I remember the F40 competing with the McLaren during the 1990's for the European sportscar championship?

Good article on the GTO though and it mentions the Evo group test of 2004 where the F50 came first, followed by the GTO, then the Enzo and finally the F40.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Comrades All,

I should like to draw your attention to the words of a properly qualified motoring journalist and whom many of you will be wholly familiar. His name is Andrew Frankel and the following is the culmination of his revisiting the Ferrari F-40 after twenty years had elapsed having first tested an F-40 in 1987. And the following is the culmination of his words as written in the illustrious Motor Sport magazine in 2007:

"For once my memory had not been playing tricks upon me. The only thing that feels old about the F-40 is the level of driver involvement it affords to the driver. I took it back, aghast that my time in it was over and wondering when, if ever, it might come again. It had been every bit as good as I remembered: not just the best Ferrari I have driven, but the best car, period."

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Comrades All,

I should like to draw your attention to the words of a properly qualified motoring journalist and whom many of you will be wholly familiar. His name is Andrew Frankel and the following is the culmination of his revisiting the Ferrari F-40 after twenty years had elapsed having first tested an F-40 in 1987. And the following is the culmination of his words as written in the illustrious Motor Sport magazine in 2007:

"For once my memory had not been playing tricks upon me. The only thing that feels old about the F-40 is the level of driver involvement it affords to the driver. I took it back, aghast that my time in it was over and wondering when, if ever, it might come again. It had been every bit as good as I remembered: not just the best Ferrari I have driven, but the best car, period."

With kind regards,

Vulcan
Frankel is definitely one of the finer Motoring Journalists.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've always considered Octane to be the "poodle-faking" of car magazines; amongst the glossy classic car mags from the UK, Octane is the one that is the most about lifestyle and automotive mythos, and the least about technical interest and real numbers. It is a magazine for speculators, armchair enthusiasts, and those who can barely turn the key in their car, much less drive it.

That said, it's still a good read, and has its place. I do pick up a copy of it occasionally. But I'm not surprised if they publish something that makes no sense like that. By the way, isn't the F40 a latter stage in the evolution of the 288?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always considered Octane to be the "poodle-faking" of car magazines; amongst the glossy classic car mags from the UK, Octane is the one that is the most about lifestyle and automotive mythos, and the least about technical interest and real numbers. It is a magazine for speculators, armchair enthusiasts, and those who can barely turn the key in their car, much less drive it.

That said, it's still a good read, and has its place. I do pick up a copy of it occasionally. But I'm not surprised if they publish something that makes no sense like that. By the way, isn't the F40 a latter stage in the evolution of the 288?
Yes it is. The real ironic part is that 288 GTOs were barely raced where as F40 were extensively raced by private teams in a number of different series. THere are a couple of article in the Members Tab on racing F40s.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I think a magazine is needing a certan letter from a reader :thumbsup:

go boxer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts