Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, any advantage to using octane booster for an engine with only an 8.6 compression? Highest grade I can buy at local pumps is 91. Thanks :-?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I agree with Andrew, forget the additives. Buy the best gas you can and if you have problems take it to a mechanic and he can tune the car for the gas you are using.

You will not notice any performance gains from a bottle of snake oil you put in your gas. If the car is knocking, don't go to the snake oil, go to a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is running fine, otherwise: just curious. I'll continue using grade 91.
Thanks guys 8)

·
Registered
293 Posts
jungathart said:
Hi, any advantage to using octane booster for an engine with only an 8.6 compression? Highest grade I can buy at local pumps is 91. Thanks :-?
As others here said, don't bother. On a lateral note, i DO suggest using Chevron Techron gas additive to clean injectors about every 10k miles depending on your driving habits/usage. This helps keep the injectors clean. Of course the occasional 'Italian Tune Up' is a good idea too.

Italian Tune Up = after car engine/oil/water is warmed up, drive in a lower gear (to adhere to legal speed limits) yet have RPM at about 6.5k rpm for about 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
enjoythemusic said:
Italian Tune Up = after car engine/oil/water is warmed up, drive in a lower gear (to adhere to legal speed limits) yet have RPM at about 6.5k rpm for about 30 seconds.
Sounds cool. BTW not being Italian, would I have to pay someone somekind of commission to do the 'Tune Up' myself?? LOL :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel in France.

Hi ! So let me present myself for this first message… I am a new owner of a Mondial 8 QV white Cabriolet from 1985 and I live in Le Mans France (I am actually back from the Bugatti track where pre-qualifications started for the 24hours race in 2 weeks… Wahouuu…).
Concerning fuel we use 98 Super without lead here and I am putting some additive in since the lead was useful and had to be replaced on the fuel. I am surprised you run with 91, here the lower fuel you can get at the pump is 95.
I am searching for contacts with owners of the same car and would be very interested in technical advices since I am a new comer in the Ferrari world. My first day was already full of surprises, for instance I certainly filled up with too much cooling water and the car after my first stop throw away a litter or two of cooling water by the hose that goes from the top tap of the water vessel down to the ground close to the left rear wheel. I wonder if this is just because of extra coolant or if it could be due to over heating of the water and engine. Then how to be sure that I have no bubbles in this circuit now… Anyway I also had few lightening of the Engine coolant alarm that last for few seconds and stopped … then no problem during an hour on country side roads at reasonable speed… The cars also have an alarm on the air/conditioning panel when I start it but the former owner told me that the Freon gaz should be changes. I guess there is no link between those two alarms. You see I certainly have a lot to learn… but pleasure is already there…

Ciao ! heuuu…. Au revoir.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts