Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to own an OBDII scan tool so in the event a code trips on our 360 I can get a read to share with our tech for discussion on next steps. Research tells me the Autel AL519 might be a good choice and am asking for guidance from those that own and have used them if this is the model to select or another option is preferrable.
Thank You.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have never used a Autel AL519 although just from reading reviews for it, It sounds like a nice unit. At my work we use 1 of 2 scan tools.
1. ET99 MAC scan tool. It's relatively cheap and it's a MAC product which is always good.
2. GENISYS EVO 5.0. This is probably more than you need and quite expensive.

Hope I helped.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You can pick up a cheap ELM327 ODB2 Bluetooth device for under $10 and download "Torque Pro" for $5 on your smart phone. The Elm 327 device is so compact I keep it in the glovebox with me so I can scan friends cars when I'm out and about. Works better than most of the scan tools under $300 and I can carry it in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The app is called "Torque". It supposed to be the best app for odb2. I have it on the Android but I'm guessing its available for Iphone? Yes you can reset the check engine light and also view live data and check MIL status. Also has other features that dedicated readers don't have. Since your phone already has GPS functions and accelerometers Torque uses them as well for some interesting performance data. I haven't used my $300 scanner since I got Torque.

It won't read ABS or SRS codes. I did some checking and found out why you have to spend so much money to get those features. There is a clearing house the auto companies formed to license the PIDs to the tool companies. For each additional feature and each manufacturer the tool company has to pay fees. It physically does not cost any more to build a $1000 scan tool that reads abs and srs but the tool company pays much higher licensing fees to offer those functions.

There was a free version of Torque but I decided to splurge and get the $4,99 pro version. I think I paid eight bucks for the ELM327 device on EBAY

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Thanks Kevin, I just ordered one.
I owe you a beer buddy.

The boat should launch the first week in May,
I hope you can get out more often this year.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
The app is called "Torque". It supposed to be the best app for odb2. I have it on the Android but I'm guessing its available for Iphone? Yes you can reset the check engine light and also view live data and check MIL status. Also has other features that dedicated readers don't have. Since your phone already has GPS functions and accelerometers Torque uses them as well for some interesting performance data. I haven't used my $300 scanner since I got Torque.

It won't read ABS or SRS codes. I did some checking and found out why you have to spend so much money to get those features. There is a clearing house the auto companies formed to license the PIDs to the tool companies. For each additional feature and each manufacturer the tool company has to pay fees. It physically does not cost any more to build a $1000 scan tool that reads abs and srs but the tool company pays much higher licensing fees to offer those functions.

There was a free version of Torque but I decided to splurge and get the $4,99 pro version. I think I paid eight bucks for the ELM327 device on EBAY

%F$%U#@C&^K - I cant get the ELM327 device to pair with an iPhone!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
%F$%U#@C&^K - I cant get the ELM327 device to pair with an iPhone!
Does the phone see the ELM at all when you scan for bluetooth devices? I've had a few minor issues but works for the most part. I did have to close other apps or my screen jittered. Also, your phone may have tried to link with the car or something else first? Tell it to disconect whatever it is currently connected to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apparently the iPhone is incompatible with the device :-(
The iphone devices need to work over wifi, they where originally 120-150 dollars , but have really come down in price now and I think they are about 20-30 dollars.

Android tablets and phones are able to use the bluetooth for connectivity as they are open source, and the iphone doesn't work the same ( the same reason it has less bugs, and viruses ).

Try an eBay search of : OBD wifi

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Barchetta tried the OBD reader with his Android, it worked so I gave it to him.

I have to find a reader compatible with an iPhone.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Barchetta tried the OBD reader with his Android, it worked so I gave it to him.

I have to find a reader compatible with an iPhone.
If you have the Torque program on your iphone you are welcome to try the cheap one I have to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to own an OBDII scan tool so in the event a code trips on our 360 I can get a read to share with our tech for discussion on next steps. Research tells me the Autel AL519 might be a good choice and am asking for guidance from those that own and have used them if this is the model to select or another option is preferrable.
Thank You.
How much are you comfortable spending?

Launch Tech USA (in Ontario, California) sells the Launch Tech X-431 Torque. I bought mine on Amazon for $1,400, but be very careful of Chinese clones selling for $800. They do not have the same software/firmware upgrade and support as Launch Tech USA.

The link to the real McCoy is below.

It will handle a bleed of the F1 system (the brakes too, who knew?), and check PIS and clutch wear and run a full diagnostic check of all ECUs. You can reset codes that were never cleared and are not currently causing warning lights. It has Bluetooth (for the OBDII plug-in so you can run tests from the kitchen) and WiFi access so you can connect to the Internet and post a question here when you don't have a clue, as I do often. :cool:

If you have any specific questions let me know. It's a very complex piece of equipment but it is very easy to use. I view it as an investment in the car's good health since I can not afford to pay Ferrari of Newport Beach to fix things I can do myself.

Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts