Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm...

Went through all the trouble to resize to fit properly but I guess that's not how this forum works...

:stupid:

Cheers

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Please do repost this photo but lets see the whole car. Don't worry about resize. Any size will do. However, if you could please keep the file size below 250kb. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unlike some of you guys here, my garage is TIGHT! I'm glad the doors swing up! I can't take full shots unless I take the thing outside! Have some OK detail shots (thinking of modding the engine).

Don't know how to make the files smaller KB, so I'll just resize. Seems that gets the KB down.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
nice SV, can't wait to see some outside pics
or is it an SE?

i got passes on the freeway by an orange SV today :green:
as usual a nice sound

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 99 Diablo Roaster. Used to have a black interior but I replaced it with the cream with blue piping. Still have the original interior.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
ofcourse
forgot the roadster again, as usual
you bought her new?
what are your thoughts about this car, especially about the driving

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
what are your thoughts about this car, especially about the driving
I know you were not asking for my opinion, but...
I could not drive any of the Diablo's due to the cramped interior. :cry:
I could not even move once I was in the seated position. Then again, I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and weigh in at 250 pounds. :wink:

:work:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DJ,

The interior is a bit cramped for someone of 360 Spyder's build. The car came with black interior but I reskinned it cream with blue piping to make it feel airier (don't even think that's a word...oh well) with the top on. That said, for a 5'8" 180lb guy the car feels just right.

The pedal arrangement is a bit tight and I would not recommend driving the car with boots or thick soled winter shoes. The gear change is precise and also has the satisfying click clack of the Ferrari gated shifter.

I bought the car used. I used to have a Murcielago but got rid of it. I tried to satiate my hunger for an Italian car with a Porsche C4 Cabrio and then a Turbo. Let's just say that while they are more refined in some ways they definitely don't put a smile on my face the way Lamborghinis do.

The torque is immense in these cars. You have to be concious of clutch use. These cars are notorious for eating up clutches, but I've found that only to be the case when one doesn't know how to handle the left pedal. Any 500+ hp car will eat through clutches like the cookie monster. That said, the acceleration is fierce. There is a very solid and pronounced "kick in the pants" feeling when letting on and off the throttle. More pronounced than most any other street car I've driven, and I've driven just about everything out there including a McLaren F1 (which is one of the few cars that floods the senses in a way the Lamborghini can't).

The car initially feels a bit heavy, but as the speeds escalate, the car seems to shrink around you. Feels very capable. Because of the cab forward design and the steeply straked windshield the car is scary to toss into a corner, but if you do, you come out surprised as to how well mannered the car is. Keep in mind that these cars beat out their Ferrari counterparts and contemporaries in tracks like Hockenheim and the Nurburgring, known for tight turns/handling, and high speed respectively.

The clutch is heavy. A lot more so than the Murcielago. The car also feels "looser" than the Murcielago. Even in open top configuration there is virtually no cowl shake and if you hit over 150mph with the top off it feels like your hair will light on fire at any given moment. The sound from the engine is fantastic and the exhaust note is also nice. Better sounding than the Ferrari 12 in my opinion. That is of course, all things equal, having stock exhaust systems. I drove a 550 Maranello when I was shopping around. Drove my friend's for a few days to see how it would feel too. The Maranello is comparatively bland. Driving a Diablo is almost an event, from the wierd ingress/egress, to the lack of a dead pedal. Performance and "smile on your face" value, the Diablo is also much more car than the Maranello.

The interior trim is very nice and not a stitch out of place. That said, mine has a completely redone interior by some very capable hands. I admit I didn't pay too much attention to the tim in the other Diablos I've driven, but rest assured, nothing glaring, at least not anything a buyer in preliminary stages found. Not as good as the Murcielago, but definitely not what you would expect from a handmade Italian exotic (in a good way). This is also an area of criticism usually in the Lamborghini line, but in my experience it is not applicable to the later cars 97+. I do have a complaint about the seats. They are cossetting but are a bit shaky and definitely look flimsy. When you step out of the car you can shake the damn things on their tracks. I'm thinking of putting some Recaros in there and storing the originals. The engine bay has generous amounts of carbon fiber, which my eyeballs thanked me for after opening the engine bay. Creature comforts are good. I don't listen to the radio, so I can't comment on that. The A/C blows cold, and controls are easy to reach. The warning lights are nicely integrated into the crease on top of the instrument cluster which adds a very nice stealthy and uncluttered look to the interior. The ride height adjustment is a life saver going over speed bumps and the like.

If you drive in the rain DO NOT crack the window open. ALL water within a 50ft radius will magically channel itself into the small opening. Seriously, I think its due to the steeply raked side windows. Especially in the roadsters, which don't have that top metal portion that surrounds the glass. The top of the window glass is very nicely chiseled and shuts snugly. I have not had any problems with water leaking in and I've taken it on an auto car wash (yeah, yeah, drag me to the back and put a bullet in my head, I know). That was the only way to test it since it hasn't really rained much at all in the area. My experience with rain and Diablos was when I was abroad and borrowed my friend's VT for almost 2 weeks. Taking the top off the car can be done by one person but my fear of dropping the top onto the car is deep enough I only do this exercise with help. It stows neatly on top of the engine lid. Good thing is that there is never a shortage of volunteers should you be puttering alone. While it looks like it will kill rear visibility, it hardly affects it. That said, the blind spots are pretty big in these cars, but a swift move of the right ankle remedies that problem in a hurry.

That's the general gist of it. If you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read all the junk I wrote.

I can't believe I wrote so damn much. Sorry for the dense reading... I get carried away when talking/typing about cars. Especially Lamborghinis!

Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I enjoyed reading your observations of the Lambo, please don't apologise!

Its always nice to speak to someone with a passion for Italian exotica. I'm glad you are enjoying your car, please post some more pics when you have time.

I would love to be able to afford a Diablo but my budget only runs to a 348 Spider for now. I'm hoping in a few years I will be able to change that though.

Justyn.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
great post

your comment about the 550 vs the lambo is in my opinion very normal, the lambo is more of a true race car while the 550 is a more of a cruiser and a lot better for daily use.

a friend of mine his dad has 2 lambo's
1 countach 25 anny and a diablo 6.0
he also says that the diablo is great to drive and has "enough" room while the countach is a real beast. very hard and heavy to drive even less rear vieuw visibility and the clutch is very heavy so he really prefferes the diablo.
Why did you got rid of the Murcie?
not happy with the performance?

and you've driven the Mac F1??? AWESOME, a very cool car.
i assume you drove one in the US?
wich one was it? i know most of the Macs in the US

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Murcielago attracted a lot of unwanted attention. Every time I drove the car out there would be a new scratch. People would key it, lean on it leaving paint scrapes due to the rivets in their jeans, I even came back from dinner to find someone sitting on the roof while his friend took pictures. Heartbreaking, really. My dad's friend wanted one so I sold it to him at a substantial loss. I put 23k kms in one month for a total of a bit over 25k kms. I'm thinking of getting the Barchetta and Gallardo and drive more selectively. I used to take my Murcielago everywhere. Grocery runs, even to the nursery to pick out plants for the house. The car drives absolutely amazing.

As for the F1, I'd rather not mention online, but can PM you whose car it was. Yes it was in the US.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Go for the Barchetta
you live in the right place to get one
and besides there are enough for sale so you shouldn't have a problem getting one.

As for the Gallardo, not sure about that one, looks are ok but not WOW.
and the sound isn't good, defenitly needs some new exhaust system
but the handling should be fantastic.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I hope you kicked that person's ass for sitting on to the roof. :evil:

Damn I miss the USA but when I hear this I get pissed, no respect at all. That would NEVER happen here in Japan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ,

I'll be driving a Gallardo in about a week, so I'll see how it measures up. I don't care much for looks, my top priority is how it drives and how it makes me feel.

The Barchetta is nice in concept, so I hope in practice it follows suit. I already know the car in it's current trim is awesome.

Andrew,

If I get the Barchetta there won't be roof to sit on!

What was that Monty Python line? "Always look on the bright side of life!" :)

Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Stick and Dice,

It is great to have you here. I enjoyed reading about your Diablo. They are wicked machines, no doubt. Can you compare the interior comfort to a Countach? I have never sat in a Diablo or Murci' but do know what a Countach is like; I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks very much for posting and joining us hear.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good to see you here "Stickanddice"... (Taek?)

:)

I've read the article in Octane comparing the Gallardo to the 360 CS. Naturally, Winston Goodfellow is biased to picking the 360 over the Lambo, if he had the chance to have one of these cars (he's a Ferrari-guy at heart). But he did give alot of praise for the Gallardo. It convinced me and if I had the chance (ie: money), I'd certainly pick that over the 360! (sorry... :ugh: )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts