Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s see if someone can answer this question…probably not but worth a try…

Everyone knows that all Ferrari’s up until the early 90’s have this magical unsolved mystery of shifting problem that everyone says it’s normal for early Ferrari’s. 2nd gear won’t engage until warm…WHY?????????????????????????????? Any Steven Hawkins bright people out there with the answer??? Hahaha!!!!!!

Any gearbox experts out there who have taken them apart and said…hey wait a minute…this channel doesn’t seem right…that’s weird…why would it be designed that way…it would be almost impossible to have proper lubrication…etc...

Was it poor design of the gearbox where it has poor channels for lubrication and only when the oil is warm does it flow easier around that area and if removed or changed, the gearbox would be weak and tear apart???

Was it an accidental design flaw and nobody was smart enough to figure it out???

Or was it Enzo’s brilliant secret design to make it that way to prevent his engines from being raced right after startup and discourage the driver to plow thru all gears until warm???

Was it such a brilliant secret design that when Enzo entered the gates of heaven God said “Hey Enzo…come here…what’s with second gear on my Testarossa?????? Oh, sorry, where are my manners…welcome to heaven….so what’s up with that???

Does anyone have a clue???

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

~

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Was it such a brilliant secret design that when Enzo entered the gates of heaven God said “Hey Enzo…come here…what’s with second gear on my Testarossa??????

~
With all the great Ferrari models to choose from, why would God pick a Testarossa ?

My guess would be more along the lines of a 250 California Spider.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With all the great Ferrari models to choose from, why would God pick a Testarossa ?
I love the Testarossa and it's my God, my story...So my God drives a Testarossa......hahaha!!!!!!

~

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Just for some background on the story, what colour is the Big Guys Testarossa?

Rosso, Giallo, Nero, Prugna, Blanco, Verde or like factory special :cool: ?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for some background on the story, what colour is the Big Guys Testarossa?

Rosso, Giallo, Nero, Prugna, Blanco, Verde or like factory special :cool: ?
Red and Tan...

~

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, nobody has any clues or suggestions?!?!?!?!

~

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like the notion that it may be to prevent you over-revving when it is cold.

I could engage second but I have heard that it is very bad for the synchros. I typically wait for the oil temperature to be clearly over the 60 degree C mark before shifting into second. How long do you guys wait?

On a similar issue, using the car daily and it being winter, my startup procedure is:

-Idle for 1 minute and pull away being careful to not exceed 2,200 RPM.
-Keep it at those revs until I reach the highway by when the temparature has reached 60
-Keep revs at 3,000 until the temperature reaches mid-way between 60 and 80 and then use 3,500 until properly warm
-7,000 RPM bursts for the last 3km of my journey!

This is very laborious as a start-up procedure but as a daily driver I struggle to treat the car any softer. I can't leave it idling for 5 minutes every time I use the car.

Am I treating the car OK by doing this procedure?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I use GM's Synchromesh in my trannies, and have had NO trouble finding 2nd gear, even in 15F degrees days here in NW PA. I just let the motor run a couple of minutes as usual to circulate the fluids and drive off.:)

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
sometimes I skip 2nd and go directly to 3rd

no idea why other than fluids

have a Mondial T and 456 GT and both have this problem in North Bay CA

-- personallly I think it's part of the micro climates and all our wonderful wine in Carnneros...:)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I did suggest a 250 California Spider.............
GREAT answer!!! hehehehehehehehe sounds like something that Pete would say

BTW - I choose to believe that the 2nd gear problem is intentional, to keep the driver cool while the engine is warming up

·
Registered
308 Posts
The end of the sliding shaft goes into a blind hole for 2nd gear, and the cold oil has nowhere to go. When the oil viscosity changes (gets thinner) it flows easier and offers less resistance.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Early 1990s???

Heck, my 550 does not like either first or second until the oil in warm. Second still does not like to engage even hot.

:(

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The end of the sliding shaft goes into a blind hole for 2nd gear
Do you have any pictures of this ???

Finaly...someone with an answer...hahaha!!!!!!!

~

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard this statement for years on Ferraris. I've owned, and own, dozens of them. I've never had a problem shifting into second gear, when cold, in properly adjusted gearbox. That goes from 1950s CA Spyders up through my F40. 275s, 330s, Daytonas, Boxers, 308s, 288s, 512TRs, etc. all shifted into second gear while cold. Maybe I'm just lucky. No question the mid-engine cars don't shift as easy as the front engine cars, but that is in any gear, not just second. A well adjusted Daytona gearbox is like hot knife through butter. The ribbed, competition, gearbox in my CA Spyder also shifts mighty nice.

For the guy that is using Redline Oil and wants to use a friction modifier; Redline told me to add friction modifiers one once at a time. If you add too much, you'll defeat the purpose and the limited slip will not function properly. In testing Redline Oil in my Daytona Spyder, no friction modifier was necessary after rebuilding the transaxle. Still, I've been using SWEPCO gear oil for years in my cars and will continue to do so. (And I was getting the RedLine Oil for free.) Maybe that has something to do with my ease of shifting into 2nd gear when cold. But, I doubt it.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
...2nd gear won’t engage until warm…WHY?
~
The corner chamber which provides oil to the 2nd gear syncromesh is closed off to proper oil flow. The solution is simple and verified but unfortunately resides deep in the bowels of the engine where normal owners never tread. It requires drilling a new hole in the transmission housing to overcome flow problem.

It's easier to use newer oils (Redline) which also overcome the problem. Worked for me. If my gearbox ever requires rebuilding, I will look up the pictures detailing location of the helpful lubrication hole.

I don't recall if the problem results from cavitation or jelling but in any case it's simply inadequate lubrication.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
also

you might be correct in that Enzo staff 'decided' [afterthought...sort of like, "ya' know, those mushrooms in the sauce ARE good.."] after the deisgn, that it served a 2nd purpose...NO one purposefully designes a warmup issue into a car I believe....but it's now a 'feature' [Think Microsoft]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts