Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, wanted to share with you some pics and info on how my shift panel, AC panel, and mirror triangle covers turned out after removing that unknown sticky stuff:p .

I started by removing the panels. I layed them out on a working table preparing myself for a very messy task. I started by spraying Night Lifes's method OVEN CLEANER! The oven cleaner did remove all the sticky ashphalt stuff, but not quick enough. I then began experimenting with other sprays but nothing would remove this stuff quick enough and without the mess. I then tried "Soot out glass & Surface Cleaner, WOW!:rofl: it worked instantly. I sprayed on and wiped off and with out the gooey mess. After cleaning all the panels I then wiped them off with denatured alcohol. The last step was to spray the panels with black paint. I used a product called SEM Color Coat. I applied three light coats and ended up with a smooth, low sheen finish. It took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish.

I purchased the Soot Out last year at Walgreens for $4.99 and the SEM Color Coat was purchased at Paint World, New Haven, CT. I had the can from a past door panel project. The pics don't really show how great the console came out, but beleive me it looks great!! I hope this is of help, comments and suggestions appreciated!

Pic #1 and #10 have the gooey stuff on it.

I just realized I should have posted this on the work shop thread, sorry, newbie!

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You are a brave soul, experimenting on your car with oven cleaners. Thanks for the info though, it will be greatly appreciated around these parts.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
348 sticky surface fix

Great job Alex. People are always looking for the "best" way to do this. Sounds like you've found it.

Moderator, Please relocate this thread to the workshop

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Nice write up and good job buddy looks fantastic I will let others know of your spray that you used

Although sales of oven cleaners are going to go way down...:p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"No more sticky steering cover"

Hi guys, while I had the steering cover apart I decided to remove the gooey stuff since it's so easy to remove now.

Pic #1-#5 w/gooey stuff

Pic#6 sprayed the "Soot Out Cleaner"

Pic#7 wiped off, no mess:)

Pic#8-10 completely finished did not have to spray any dye. Took me 20 minutes from start to finish.

This stuff really works!:rofl:

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yes, indeed the over cleaners do work. One issue to keep in mind however, is that when you clean the air vents, the white arrows will be stripped off. In terms of Ferrari parts, this is sadly a very common situation.

For F355 owners, we actually sell a very nice replacement panel for the HVAC control unit, and refer many of our customers to a fellow tifosi for his refinishing services. You can find his contact information (Robbie) in this link, toward the bottom:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261153

Robbie can refinish individual F355 switches, the panels, 348 panels, door handles, etc. etc. and does a beautiful job.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum... Nice to see you here. You find less traffic but better personalities over here. Looks like you've been registered for a while but have not checked in.

To those that are not yet aware...Daniel (Jack Russell Racing) is a Fellow Ferrari enthusiast, owner of the mighty 348, and a parts magician. A good friend to have indeed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not all Soot removers are the same

After reading Arivera's great work, I tried the same.

As we have no Walgreens in Canada, I use a soot remover for glass on fireplace doors. This is not a spray, so I brushed it on and waited.
While this did work better than the Easy Off ( tried it too ) , it still to a bit of scrubbing. Waiting longer did not help.

In the end I scrubbed out the stuff and coated with SEM Trim Black.
The finish is great - the solvent smell of the stuff is HORRIBLE!

The steering wheel covers, central covers and ashtray are done. The ashtray did not have a mark on it - but I wanted it to match. I am pleased even if it did take longer than I wanted.

One more job done - only 12 or so left on the list ( for now)....

Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greg,

I glad it worked out for you. The "Soot Out" works great and very quick. If you have anymore of the sticky stuff to remove I can check with Walgreens if they still have this product and shoot it out to you in Canada.

Alex

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll import on my next trip south of the border

Thanks for the offer Alex. I do not know how difficult it is to ship chemicals across the border. I am in this industry and the paperwork for commercial goods is a bit much.

I drive down to the Detroit area for work fairly regularly so I will get some on my next trip.

I made the incorrect assumption that all soot removers should be the same. Otherwise I would have gotten some before.

The SEM paint is very good. As painting plastic can be tricky, I was glad you posted the paint type.

Best Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oven Cleaner

...I just finished using oven cleaner on my door handles and it really was quite quick and easy....of course mine were so bad that when I used the handle, I had a handful of black (goo, ink) on my hands

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Sticky Console"

...I just finished using oven cleaner on my door handles and it really was quite quick and easy....of course mine were so bad that when I used the handle, I had a handful of black (goo, ink) on my hands

Hi, I tried the oven cleaner but I could not stand the smell or the black ink on my hands. The "Soots Out" was oderless and not as messy and most importantly it was quick!

Alex

·
Registered
181 Posts
Replacing the dots....

When stripping the sticky stuff, the white indicators for open / closed also disappear on the vents.
While these are not really necessary they were part of the original so I really wanted them back.

Enter my wife the scrap-booker. While she does not see the point in the indicators ( orf the Ferrari for that point - but that is a whole different thread.....) , she did make the dots.

The full circle is easy. A normal sized hole punch ( 1/4" ). The other was a bit tougher. We went to a craft store and bought a hole punch with a number of sizes. The 3/16" left enough around the edge. Getting it centered was the tough part.

I think it was best when we made the 3/16" center hole, the punched out the 1/4" circle to complete.

Peeling the paper off of the back of the sticker without wrinkling was not great - especially without fingernails ( guitarists know what I mean ).

Lastly, sticking them in the correct spot on the vent was tough. We certainly did not get these perfect - neither the paint or the dots but the end result is many orders of magnitude better than before and frankly, if I would have spent the amount of money for new vents as the Ferrari dealer quoted - well, I would be living in my car now.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
soot out

I have been trying to find soot out and have determined that it is no longer made. Has anybody found a suitable alternative.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
TC348,
Google Sootout.com and it will take you to different sites of who has it available. One place is in Amazon.com. If you can't find it let me know and I will look further for you.

Alex

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you get the grill or vents out of the dash to redo them? Do they pop out or is it necessary to take part of the dash out? Any tips would be appriecated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts