Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had quite a few people ask me recently which will be next. I guess given my rather active garage churning in the past several years, this is a logical question. I really don't know but do not anticipate adding another Prancing Horse to the stable in the near future. Given the turmoil in the financial markets, I have decided to sit out for a bit to see how the market develops. A 275 GTS would be wonderful but prices (last asking price I saw was 2X what a good F40 would cost :eek: ) have gone through the roof. A 365 GTB/4 Daytona is tempting but again, they have been run way up and good ones are near impossible to find:mad: . On a more modern basis, a 550 Maranello is tempting :) and a 550 Barchetta would be great :cool: (but completely impractical).

An Aston Vanquish S might be another alternative....

Thoughts - Suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I have had quite a few people ask me recently which will be next. I guess given my rather active garage churning in the past several years, this is a logical question. I really don't know but do not anticipate adding another Prancing Horse to the stable in the near future. Given the turmoil in the financial markets, I have decided to sit out for a bit to see how the market develops. A 275 GTS would be wonderful but prices (last asking price I saw was 2X what a good F40 would cost :eek: ) have gone through the roof. A 365 GTB/4 Daytona is tempting but again, they have been run way up and good ones are near impossible to find:mad: . On a more modern basis, a 550 Maranello is tempting :) and a 550 Barchetta would be great :cool: (but completely impractical).

Thoughts - Suggestions ?
First question before anything, would you be losing a Prancing Horse from the stable for another car? Or would you just be adding one?

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
What I write reflects merely my opinion and I don't expect to convince anybody to adhere to my belief.

I have been thinking about if I were to replace my car, what to do it with. Well V12 for sure. Then I've been reading about the evils of the 575's inability to withstand high speed cruises on the account of poor road holding, I wonder if this is true, if it is, then it would have to be a 6 speed manual 575 GTC, very rare, but does it work well at very high speeds or is it all a scam?

All 599 drivers claim it is a giant leap ahead of the Maranello in driving attitude. But it's still pretty expensive for me, as of today, and I have to say it, when compared to the Maranello, it's ugly. On its own, it may look good, well not too bad, but I mean, not in comparison to the 550/575. Checkout this site http://www.asphalte.ch/Auto/599-2/599-2-1.php and you might agree that it looks like a brick compared to the 550's elegant and refined lines.

On a different note, although it seems to be one of the best built cars ever, the Aston is not a Ferrari, and if you see Top gear's comparison of the Vanquish S and the 575 with the help of Damon Hill, it's pretty explicit. But the Aston looks awesome.

So maybe I'll just keep the 550 for a while, and hope it doesn't give me a hard time in maintenance terms.

Aren't you attracted to the 575M GTC Boxer? :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Ah yes, the agony of choice.

Interesting to see you've got some of my favourites on your radar. The 275GTS is one of the prettiest roadsters ever designed, and a true classic V12 tourer. But you're right, these prices are just amazing.

It's awfully presumptious of me to put myself in your shoes, but I do think a classic Ferrari would fit your stable well. Something stately for champagne brunches. :) As we discussed before, a 330 GTC might be the ticket.

The Aston Vanquish S is a wonderful car but very, very few of them are manuals and the paddle shift is horrible (so I've heard). I've also heard a lot of stories about things breaking down on the Aston V8 Vantage. Considering that the Vanquish was handbuilt, I would expect it to give you even more grief. As agp mentions it's also a bit slower than a comparable Ferrari, but it's still plenty quick enough. But the Ferrari competition just defeats it in almost all aspects so I agree with agp that a 575M GTC might be a very good option.

As for other suggestions, I can't really think of any at the moment that might float your boat. If something pops up I'll post it.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
439 Posts
What an awesome question to consider!!!

I would look at the 288 GTO to move towards completing the collection of the GTO to Enzo series if another Ferrari was a requirement.

I would however consider something like a Porsce 959 - the original competitor of the F40!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

Thoughts - Suggestions ?
Dear Boxer
Just my 2 cents: You own the absolut dreamcars of the prancing horses in your stable. It just can not go better. This conscious about that fact should save you.
Looking out for other opportunities is always something to attract our minds but after all chances are that would seriously come back to what you have now (subtract the stress, money and long disappointment to get it again in the same conditions). Therefore NO Aston please!
The addition of a real classic prancing horse as discussed previously is a great plan but the dilemma of price levels are more than obvious. If you are not willing to wait for prices to come down, I would advise a "hedged" version (again my 2 cents only): Spend only 35% of the money willing to pay for a 275 GTS and buy a great, clean, no stories 330 GTC. You will have a classic, one of the best, great looking, great driving, quite more torque than the 275 GTS for real nice cruising and for sunny open head driving you will stick (as always) to your wonderful F50.
If prices tank at all, your exposure will be 35% only to a price correction (actually I believe it will be less as the 275 GTS prices expanded so dramatically they may shrink in the case of a price contraction as dramatically as well). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I agree. Well the 599 GTB to me is not ugly at all but standing the next to the 575M the car looks very broad, very large...kind of a fat dolphin. But as with every new Ferrari model...it needs time to appreciate its shape.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
What an awesome question to consider!!!

I would look at the 288 GTO to move towards completing the collection of the GTO to Enzo series if another Ferrari was a requirement.

I would however consider something like a Porsce 959 - the original competitor of the F40!
If compleating the Supercar row...then yes. But else I hardly could imagine what should be the "kick" in owning the 288 GTO (a car I respect very much) if someone already is used to drive a F40 and F 50:confused:
I have a different opinion if somebody would talk about a 288 GTO Evoluzione ! (but since this is no street car I guess the case is closed)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the insightful advise. For some reason I missed including the 330 GTC in the original post but it does sound like the way to go. I will have to start doing some research on it. The more I think about it, a vintage Ferrari does sound like the way to go.

As for some of the others suggested, I am not looking for a "Supercar" garage so the 288GTO and Enzo are not of immediate interest (in terms of driving experience I am not sure either would add much to the F40 & F50)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the insightful advise. For some reason I missed including the 330 GTC in the original post but it does sound like the way to go. I will have to start doing some research on it. The more I think about it, a vintage Ferrari does sound like the way to go.

As for some of the others suggested, I am not looking for a "Supercar" garage so the 288GTO and Enzo are not of immediate interest (in terms of driving experience I am not sure either would add much to the F40 & F50)
Dear Comrade Boxer,

It is my belief that you should resort to a motor car equipped with the illustrious flat twelve engine and whilst you have previously held one such within your possession, you did not at that time hold your other magnificent machines within your tutelage. So, a flat twelve would make the ideal companion and complete the trilogy of engine configurations - Vee Eight, Vee Twelve and Flat Twelve.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear Boxer....

I love ferrari... but I also love Aston Martin.... The Vanquish is a great choice... and one of my "dream cars"...

Yes... the sequencial gearbox is a trouble, but b/c of that, AM invited clients to change their original gearbox for 6 speed manual... some years ago.. so I think it's possible to get one manual.... just a question... is the DBS out of consideration?

congratulations for your great stable... you know that any of those cars will bring to you a lot of happiness.... =)

Azp.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Comrade Boxer,

It is my belief that you should resort to a motor car equipped with the illustrious flat twelve engine and whilst you have previously held one such within your possession, you did not at that time hold your other magnificent machines within your tutelage. So, a flat twelve would make the ideal companion and complete the trilogy of engine configurations - Vee Eight, Vee Twelve and Flat Twelve.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
How about an old Twelve (330 GTC) ?

I do love the Flat Twelves and the sound they make north of 4000 rpm, but having already owned a pair, I would like to have the next one be something very different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just stumbled across this forum for the first time but I own a couple of the cars you've been considering buying.
I've had a 550 Barchetta for over a year now, replacing a '98 550 that I did 45,000 miles in. The roof issue was my main reason for not considering one before but then I discovered a company in Germany makes a terrific replacement canvas roof that allows speeds up to 130mph and is a doddle to remove when you feel like it. Check out www.michalak.eu for more details.
Car came with a tonnou cover that the previous owner had made and that's really useful too. Cost around £250 to make.
I can't believe the 550 Barchetta is so cheap still, nearly all are ultra low mileage so it's like buying a new car. It looks so stylish with this replacement roof fitted and it's ultra rare in Ferrari terms so has to be a terrific investment in the future.

The other car in my stable is a 330 GT 2+2 which I bought at the R & M Auction held at the factory last May. It's a lovely thing, proper Ferrari character to the driving experience, it feels like a race engine compared to Astons of the same vintage. Very elegant to look at, chassis might not be great but I still love driving it. Again, seems very cheap at the moment, mine cost around £60k and it really is in concourse condition.

I'm not great at keeping cars but I intend keeping these two for ever.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here are my suggestions to add to your magnificent collection:

1. Ferrari

1.1 365 GTB/4 Daytona-the cult amongst Ferraris. Fast, exciting, beautiful.

1.2 275GTB-one of the most beautiful cars ever. The classic berlinetta shape.

1.3 330/365 GTC-an evolution of the 250 Lusso without the costing the earth.

1.4 550 Maranello-thinking man's Daytona Mark II.

1.5 550 Barchetta-great investment potential with the 550's awesome motor.

1.6 365 GT4/BB-so beautiful, rare and that flat 12 motor.

2. Porsche (my experience is that a perfect garage has both marques in it)

2.1 1973 RS-911 version of the 250GTO. Race (won Targa Florio in '73) or rally (second East African Safari in '74) and then drive to work. Pure, light, fast and very usuable. And exciting-banishes the myth of clinical Porsches.

2.2 1995/6 993 RS-thinking man's '73 RS Mark II with torquey and rev-happy 3.8 motor and plenty of racing pedigree.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I think personally the Daytona (But not a Cadburys Chocolate Wrapper one :) ).

Obviously you will need the obligatory 'Wayfarers', white deck shoes (sans socks) and a 'tame yet Angry' Alligator, all of which you should be able to pick up from your local Ferrari merchandise store complete with the Cavalino logo ;)

The other car that comes to mind is the Superamerica.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are my suggestions to add to your magnificent collection:

1. Ferrari

1.1 365 GTB/4 Daytona-the cult amongst Ferraris. Fast, exciting, beautiful.

1.2 275GTB-one of the most beautiful cars ever. The classic berlinetta shape.

1.3 330/365 GTC-an evolution of the 250 Lusso without the costing the earth.

1.4 550 Maranello-thinking man's Daytona Mark II.

1.5 550 Barchetta-great investment potential with the 550's awesome motor.

1.6 365 GT4/BB-so beautiful, rare and that flat 12 motor.

2. Porsche (my experience is that a perfect garage has both marques in it)

2.1 1973 RS-911 version of the 250GTO. Race (won Targa Florio in '73) or rally (second East African Safari in '74) and then drive to work. Pure, light, fast and very usuable. And exciting-banishes the myth of clinical Porsches.

2.2 1995/6 993 RS-thinking man's '73 RS Mark II with torquey and rev-happy 3.8 motor and plenty of racing pedigree.
All great suggestions and with the excpetion of #2 have been considered (everytime I buy a Porsche I end up selling it again very shortly after. Hence I have decided to try not to repeat that again).

The 275 GTB would probably be my 1st choice but the prices are completely out of reach now. This leaves the 330 GTC as the more reasonable option. If I can't find a good 330 but a Daytona for the same money fell into my lap then I probably go for it.

Agree the 550 Barchetta is probably a good financial choice in the longer term. They seem to have hit financial bottom.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
At this point we have narrowed the options down to:

330 GTC
365 GTB/4
550 Barchetta

of which believe it or not, the 550 Barchetta is the lowest price option.
I would personally look into the 550 Barchetta. Haven't you owned a 550 before?

Chris

1 - 20 of 40 Posts