Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all . . . Newbie here looking to get myself into a Ferrari. I'm coming from the BMW world, and for some reason, growing up watching Magnum PI has instilled into my head that the 308 is THE car to own/drive.

I'm just starting my research (buyers guides/internet/etc) and had just a few questions.

1. Is there a reputable independent mechanic in the Maryland/DC area?

2. Is Ebay a place I should look for deals/or will I get a dud?

3. Is there a "centralized" site for Ferrari classifieds (it seems like all the ads are spread out).

Thanks everyone i advance, I know what it's like to read newbie questions and roll your eyes, but I'm at your mercy :) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Misteryul, welcome to the forum...

1. I live in Canada so I cant help…

2. Personally I would never buy a Ferrari without a PPI (Pre-Purchase inspection) and test drive. To me buying a Ferrari on eBay is like bidding for a new wife…not going to happen !!! :-?

3. Try http://ferrariclassified.com/ :lol:

There is also a magazine called Dupont Registry, its an auto trader for exotic and collector cars. Bought mine this week, it has lots of dealer info on all kinds of cars and lots on Ferrari's.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted and if you find a nice one, get the serial number, some members here can do some digging on the history.

8)

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
misteryul said:
3. Is there a "centralized" site for Ferrari classifieds (it seems like all the ads are spread out).
misteryul,

You can actually use our "Search Assistance" feature found on the classified page to aid in your search.

We are certainly trying to become the centralized site for Classifieds.

I wish I could help on the mechanic in the Maryland area. I checked the resource map and didn't see any in the area except the offical Ferrari Dealer. If you do come across a mechanic please let us know so we can add them to the map.

Good luck in your search for a 308, it is a great car and I would look for either an early 308 carb or a QV. Let us know how it works out.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
misteryul said:
Hi all . . . Newbie here looking to get myself into a Ferrari. I'm coming from the BMW world, and for some reason, growing up watching Magnum PI has instilled into my head that the 308 is THE car to own/drive.

I'm just starting my research (buyers guides/internet/etc) and had just a few questions.

1. Is there a reputable independent mechanic in the Maryland/DC area?

2. Is Ebay a place I should look for deals/or will I get a dud?

Thanks everyone i advance, I know what it's like to read newbie questions and roll your eyes, but I'm at your mercy :) Thanks.
Per your quiries:

1. There are a couple of DC area owners on www.TomYang.net. They should be able to recommend a good DC area mechanic to do a PPI.

2. Personally I would be careful buying from eBay. Buying the wrong Ferrari can quickly become a five figure mistake to sort.

3. As Andrew said, there are a large number of ads here. You can also check the Ferrari Market Letter - www.ferrarimarketletter.com

Good luck.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Alexander348 said:
Andrew, perhaps it is not in my place to ask this, but if you don't mind would you tell me which ferrari model you drive?
Hi Alexander,

Several actually. As a part owner of a private car club I have
a number of cars which are shared into the club. I'm fortunate to
therefore have driven the majority of the newer Ferraris (post 1980)
as well as a number of other non-Ferraris that are exciting.

For day to day commute to and from work I wouldn't dream of driving.
Traffic is a nightmare. It takes my co-workers 50+ minutes to get
downtown. For me it is a 15 minute train ride. I love trains (if you
dig up past post of mine in the lounge from my days in Tokyo you'll
quickly see this).

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS EVERYONE

Thanks for all the insightful and non-flaming info. I was a bit hesitant in posting newbie questions as some other forums tend to use the RTFM or "Do a search" a bit too much. I can see that with this forum, everyone is looking out for each other and not trying to be "that guy" :) Again, thanks, and when I find a local mechanic, I will definitely let you all know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts