Ferrari Life Forum banner

newbie question re: 360 replacement

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Stradale 
#1 ·
is there a 360 replacement that's scheduled for delivery in the US anytime soon? If so, what is the car called and what will it look like? I'm kind of new to Ferraris so excuse my ignorance. I'm aware of a 2+2 coming out, 460 or something like that, but don't know if there's a new version of the 360 2 seater. I do know there's some upgraded 360 that's going to make it to some car shows this year but I'm wondering if the 360 is still going to be alive for a couple years longer or if something newer is scheduled. Thanks.

#3 ·
thanks. I actually found this through google, for anyone who's interested...

http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2003/news_2003_092modena_400.html

Looks like the "420" will be the replacement. God, I don't know what else they can do to the styling to trump the 360.

Does anyone know how Ferrari releases their models? I'm a Porsche guy, so I don't know much about Ferrari. For Porsche, every time they release a new 911, they release the regular 911, then the cabriolet, then the targa. If Ferrari releases the 420, when can we expect a Spyder version?

#4 ·
I think Italnews got the details quite right. But I'm not certain whether the current block can be bored and stroked to 4 litres. When the engineers upgraded the 3.5 litre engine of the F355, they said they cannot go bigger than 3.6 litres without changing the current block.

But that was what Porsche said about their engine too. But they keep increasing the capacity nevertheless.

What I really want to know is whether Ferrari will do a V10 500bhp engine for the next Modena replacement. Now that would really be something.

#5 ·
Stradale said:
I think Italnews got the details quite right. But I'm not certain whether the current block can be bored and stroked to 4 litres. When the engineers upgraded the 3.5 litre engine of the F355, they said they cannot go bigger than 3.6 litres without changing the current block.

But that was what Porsche said about their engine too. But they keep increasing the capacity nevertheless.

What I really want to know is whether Ferrari will do a V10 500bhp engine for the next Modena replacement. Now that would really be something.
Stradale,
Welcome to the site. Hope to see you post this much daily :green: A V10 would be very nice (also to compete with lambo's new V10). I can't recall but has Ferrari made a V10 in the past or would this be a first for them?

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome Enzo250GTO.

Before the Gallardo was signed off, Ferrari did consider using the current Maserati 4200 block for their next 360 replacement. After all Ferrari developed that engine when they bought 100% of Maserati and decided to start marketing in the US again. They had to have a normally aspirated engine, because the turbo engine would not pass the emission regulations of the US, hence the current 4.2 litre.

But based on current rumour Ferrari will not use that block but will develop a new engine altogether. They have not decided whether it will be a V8 or even a V10. Now that Lambo, Audi and BMW will have V10s in their cars, the decision has been forced on to Ferrari. They have to maintain their engine technology superiority and waht better way than to have a V10 as well. Besides a V10 would be the natural step up.

Ferrari does not have experience in road going V10 but their F1 V10 experience is just about the best, as good as BMW's, which reputedly have the "best" engine. So why not exploit the F1 success and trasfer that to the best selling model. A 500bhp V10 weighing 1350kg would be truly awesome.

#8 ·
Dealers cannot take orders unless and until the factory tells them to. That is how it works.

For the Enzo the factory ask dealers to submit list of potential owners and they will list the "preferred" customers. Then the list is selected by Luca himself. Previous owners of F4, F50 are preferred. So are stars and business leaders, people that have high profile. The customer is then invited to the factory's private unveiling of the Enzo. Money is the criteria.

For the 456 replacement, the factory ask for a list of potential buyers from the dealer. The potential customers will then receive a letter from Luca telling them what the car will look like and so on. Then deposits are accepted. Again the factory will invite the lucky customer to the private unveiling of the car in Maranello.

As for the Stradale, when there were rumours that the "special" 360 will be built, a lot of cutomers wanted to put down their deposit so as to be ahead of the que. But the dealer refuse to take the deposit unless and until the factory approve it. That is how it has been with our dealer here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.