Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not a new Ferrari admirer by any stretch of the imagination, I *am* recently obsessed.

I’ve been playing with Japanese and European cars for a while -- and spending lots of money tuning them -- but it was only weeks ago – while pondering my next project – that I realized the holy grail – a Ferrari – isn’t so inconceivable.

…fast forward through lots of research…

…so I’ve decided I’d like to get a hold of a Ferrari once I pay off a large chunk of my new home (in 2-3years), and I think I’d like it to be a 348 ( or perhaps by then a 355) -- I actually prefer the look of the 348, but the 355’s accomplishments go with out saying.

Here are my questions:

I’ve never driven a Ferrari, how can I go about taking one or two for a spin to see if it’s for me?

How good of a dealership is Ferrari of Atlanta?

Are there any good independent service shops in the area?

…what about restoration/body shops, who’s the best in town?

How much is a 348 going to cost me a year, assuming 3-5K/year?

How reliable are the 348’s (‘90+)?

How much will insurance cost me, assuming 3-5K/year. I’m 26.

And most importantly… ‘tuneability.’ No car, not even a Ferrari, is much fun for me if I can’t tweak and personalize it. Beyond a Tubi, filter, and chip, what is reasonable, keeping maintainability, reliability and resale in mind, for the 348? Are turbos doable? How much would a set up cost? How much would it destroy resale? Is there anyone locally that has/can do the work?

Thanks so much guys

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
In order to test drive a Ferrari from a dealership, one MUST show you are able to buy it.

Insurance is cheap if your driving record is clean. I paid about $1,100 per year for a 550 at 7,500 miles a year.

In the 2 or 3 years which you said is your time table, you will know eoungh about the 348 or 355.

Good luck and always have a Ferrari mechinic look it over before buying.

:green:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree with Bart about the test drives. You only get one if you're going to buy the car that DAY.

Ferrari of Atlanta is a long time established dealer (goes back several decades). Very, very helpful, knowlegable, friendly and expert staff.

Your yearly maintenance cost estimate is pretty much spot-on for a well cared-for example. The very first 348's were somewhat problematic. Usually electrical issues (I think the upgrade of Bosch Motronic 2.7 system, the infamous alternators, etc...). The later cars are better.

There's nothing really in the aftermarket for performance increases. Chips, filters, exhaust all have negligable affects and as a total, only add a few HP. Nothing that you could feel through the seat-of-your-pants. Oh God, don't turbo it. The costs and headache to convert are astronomical. You'd need different (low C.R.) pistons, cams (to suit different timing required), heavy duty head gaskets, etc... None of those items exist, they all have to be custom made. You'd also have to install a different engine management system and make mods to the (marginal even in stock form) cooling system. The trannys are delicate as well and wouldn't survive the extra power too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bart said:
Good luck and always have a Ferrari mechinic look it over before buying.

:green:
How does this work if there aren't any near the seller or if the Dealer is the only mech in town?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote='75 308 GT4 (Peter)]I agree with Bart about the test drives. You only get one if you're going to buy the car that DAY.
[/quote]

Humm... I guess I could rent one.

[quote='75 308 GT4 (Peter)]
Oh God, don't turbo it. The costs and headache to convert are astronomical. You'd need different (low C.R.) pistons, cams (to suit different timing required), heavy duty head gaskets, etc... [/quote]

So I guess that's why Koenig Turbo kits cost ~35K? :) What about this Bob Norwood guy, do you know anything about his work?

THanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
karmavore said:
What about this Bob Norwood guy, do you know anything about his work?

THanks!
Not personnally, but his projects have graced the pages of many magazines (R&T, C&D, Forza, etc...). They're very thorough and professional and have been around for a long time too (I think since the very early Eighties). But again, not cheap. They would be your best (and pretty much only) choice for a turbo project, here in North America.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts