Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the 308 will be put out to pasture for most track events. She has been fun and the many mods truly make her quite impressive. Still, it was time to move forward and so it brings me joy to annouce:

RF99 ex-Richard Morgan USF2000 pro car (Formula Continental) with one of the best Elite Pro motors in the country (6 races since rebuild, we did leakdown/compression and it was very good). The car took pole for the one and only race it did this year (VIR pro races, it came in second place for that race). According to the SCCA timing/scoring and other data, the car does 1:54 at WGI, 1:28 at Mosport (long), and 1:05 at NHIS (not sure which config, i am guessing South oval). No data for LRP as the owner did not seem to run there.

For years the car was always serviced/stored at GTP Motorsports, who is the US importer of the VD. Car came with Penske 8700 triple adjustable shocks with ICP hydraulic perches (serviced by Stimola in 2005 and has dyno sheets. 8700 bodies with 8760 innards) and upgraded motor mounts. Various Pennon aero bits, both normal and high downforce aero packages included. Pi System 2 data acquisition with all major sensors, beacon, beacon battery and a Dell laptop with PI Windows software and data logs. The car is wired for a radio (IMSA connector).

Shameless plug: Someone please buy my Featherlite open trailer as i need an enclosed trailer for 2007. Am getting lots of inquires from various track guys on other boards, but would like to see a COMer with it as she has been very good to me. See http://www.ispexperts.com/featherlite/ for details.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
WHOA! What an upgrade! Enjoy the car and take a bunch of pics when youre out on the track. Take it easy and be safe too!

Car looks gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
OMG!!!

I didn´t even know that people were allowed to have such a cool toy!! =D

have fun with it, and post pictures!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FunkyJunc said:
WHOA! What an upgrade! Enjoy the car and take a bunch of pics when youre out on the track. Take it easy and be safe too!
Car looks gorgeous!
Many thanks and agree about being safe. The car has ENORMOUS capabilities.

stile - alpine said:
OMG!!!
I didn´t even know that people were allowed to have such a cool toy!! =D
have fun with it, and post pictures!!
i did post pics... hmmm... And yes, mere mortal such as me has one. Now what shall i do with it in 2007? Hmm... :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cool....

That's a lovely thing Steve, Here's hoping you take many chequered flags with it in 2007....:drive:

The very best of luck,

Argento:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
stile - alpine said:
I mean MOOOORE pictures =)
and maybe some videos?
Well, living in New England USA means it is cold and snow is beginning to threaten. Will be posting videos with data overlay in the spring when everything thaws.

Argento said:
That's a lovely thing Steve, Here's hoping you take many chequered flags with it in 2007....:drive:
The very best of luck,
Argento:D
Many thanks my friend.

Boxer said:
Wow. This looks like it is even more fun than the Challenge cars. Congrats.
Well, each car is for a certain classification. The Challenge cars are (relatively) heavy saloon cars. Big power, big engine... This is why at Le Mans there are different types of cars and obviously each have their strengths.

The Formula Continental (FC) falls into the open wheel, relatively small engine and keep everything very light/stiff. While power to weight is around 8.5 lbs per HP, the car wet with me in it will weight around 1,150 lbs. Like the consumer car Lotus, lighter weight 'needs' less power and the lower weight allows for handling advantages. Getting back to the FC, it can stop from 60mph to 0 in only 100 feet (normal saloon cars are around 160 feet or more) due to less weight needing to be brought to a halt. Add to that, the FC has a more effective adjustable aero package. So comparing the FC to a Challenge is not fair per se, they are different ways of dealing with the task at hand.

Other advantages come in ability to service and price thereof. Everything is very much accessible on the FC and not buried deep like in the Challenge and have a feeling spare parts for a Ferrari Challenge car are at the usual Ferrari Tax, with parts availability of the Challenge being..... As an example, to rebuild a lowly consumer 308 engine is around $10k while an FC engine is $4k. Heck, for $10k i can easily buy a NEW engine for the FC and have a good amount of pocket change.

Worse still, a 430 Challenge is about 10 TIMES the cost to buy in on the second hand market. In other words, i could ball up and walk away from TEN FC cars to one 430 Challenge. Makes you wonder about price/performance...

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
This car will definately offer you some advantages the 308 does not. One of them being open wheel racing! Can't wait to take another trip to NHIS and watch you run around the track in the new car.

What is to become of the 308? Keep it as a toy or sell it to another racer? It would be tough to unload your 308 in the mainstream Ferrari market. It is not exactly "concours". :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete04222 said:
This car will definitely offer you some advantages the 308 does not. One of them being open wheel racing! Can't wait to take another trip to NHIS and watch you run around the track in the new car.
Very true, and will alert you in April here in the board when it is time once again to track the car.

What is to become of the 308? Keep it as a toy or sell it to another racer? It would be tough to unload your 308 in the mainstream Ferrari market. It is not exactly "concours". :)
Well, for now am selling my Featherlite trailer and getting an enclosed trailer. Will 'box up' the 308 until the spring. No plans on selling her as of yet. Perhaps after a few track days in the FC i will make a decision to keep or sell the 308. it is not concourse correct, though VERY well maintained good for street and heavy track use with reliability in mind. If she ever gets sold, the next owner will enjoy a great car that far exceeds a stock 308 on many, many levels.

Other option would be to wait and see how those who are working on the bolt on 308 Supercharger system pans out and how others feel about the reliability factor. You see, i have ALWAYS kept a strong eye on reliability over performance. This explains the better brakes, better cooling, uprated clutch, added oil pan baffle, etc. Basically 'corrected' the car for proper use on track versus only being street driven.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts