Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first Ferrari 81 308 gtsi a few months back, I love it.
Car sat for a long time I did a full maintaince(belt,seals,fluids,seals,adjust valves, and hoses. I have put 1500 miles on it all is great except one thing.
Take it out for a easy ride on the highway no oil leak, take it out on the coutry roads were I live and i get a little smoke ( back left). Found small oil leak cam seal behind distributor cap. Take off housing cam looks good except for a spot were seal rest. It has a glazes look the seal goes on very easly ( we used 2 new seals ) springs on. still no luck. Saw on a thread something about a SPEEDISEAL has one one used one. Anyone have any ideas. I have driven alot of cars,bikes and pwcs nothing is like driving a Ferrari.
thanks for any help Jim

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Is your concern about the smoke or the oil leak? How many miles does the car have on it? Was a PPI done? Has a compression test or cylinder leakdown test been done? What are you using for oil?

Ferraris don't like to sit. When I bought my 308 the dealer told me it leaked a little out of the cam seals and gave me new cam seals. After 2 weeks of driving the leak went away.

I agree with you, I've driven a lot of cars, bikes and pwcs but nothing is like driving a Ferrari. After 5 years I still giggle when I downshift and punch it to go around corners.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Speedi-Sleeve

I believe you are referring to a "Speedi-Sleeve". It is a 0.010" thick stainless steel sleeve that presses over the damaged shaft. A new seal not only gets a perfect surface to ride on, but also just slightly larger. I first used one on my 308GT4 camshaft, and it fixed the problem forever. Great solution, about $35 I think. You will have to measure the shaft because speedi-sleeves come in a million U.S. and metric sizes. They are usually available at bearing and seal suppliers. IIRC, Speedi-Sleeve is a trademark of Chicago Rawhide, which was recently bought out by SKF, so there might be other similar products called something else.. -Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jbell !

Welcome to the Forum

I own the same car and did not meet this problem.
Unfortunately i cannot be helpfull for you.
It's been 2 years i restor my GTBi and i gona ride it this august.
I'll tell you more in this Forum.

All the best

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hi, I can't help you with your car problems, but welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information on here:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
leak is back

I installed a new seal seamed to fit tighter. It was fine for a few hundered miles but is leaking now more than ever. Was wonder if Ferrari changed maker of seals. Also the color of the seal(metal part) was redish in color, the one that came off was black. Also were is a good place to buy parts online?
thanks jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds like it might be time for a Speedi-Sleeve. While you are at it, measure the i.d, the o.d., and the thickness of the seal (all in mm), and order one from the same place. You'll end up with a Chicago Rawhide or a National seal, both are great seals, and inexpensive to boot. -Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts