Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, thre of the four arrived (FedEx routed one incorrectly). These are Kinesis K27 with Mich Pilot PS2 rubber. Yummm. Upgraded from 'stock' 16-inch 7/8 to 17 8/9. Look at all that road gripping rubber under her now :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
One word - Awesome. If those don't grip, nothing will.

But looking at the photos, it is hard for me to think about your tires when I wish my paint shined liked yours! Looks awesome Steve!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJ and Pete,

FedEx somehow separated them during shipping. The last rim should be here tomorrow or Monday. Kinesis has each rim/tire professionally mounted and 3D balanced. Each one was shipped in a separate box.

Pete, agreed about the grip. Added about four more inches of rubber under her in a balanced way and as for the Mich PS2 grip ability.... :green:

As for the paint, when i was teen i detailed cars for a living. What you see on the car is: breaking down all wax off, using clay bar, 3M cleaners and scratch remover as needed, then Zymol Cleaner/Wax, then Zymol Ital wax.

·
Registered
476 Posts
First, let me say I love the wheels! But, on the "side" view something looks a bit off. What is the overall diamiter of the tire compared to the one coming off of it? Has the car been lowered yet?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
As for the paint, when i was teen i detailed cars for a living. What you see on the car is: breaking down all wax off, using clay bar, 3M cleaners ans scratch remover as needed, then Zymol Cleaner/Wax, then Zymon Ital wax.
I've got my plate full now, but sometime in the spring could I show up at your house with a case of beer and get you to show me how to get my car to shine like yours? A kind of getting my car ready for 2005? You wouldn't have to do the work, just sit in your lawn chair with the cold beer and let me use your equipment and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'll bring my wife and she can sit in the chair next to you and enjoy you correcting me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
senna21 said:
First, let me say I love the wheels! But, on the "side" view something looks a bit off. What is the overall diameter of the tire compared to the one coming off of it? Has the car been lowered yet?
It is an optical illusion because the old rim/tire is closer to the camera. Yes the car has been lowered but this is the rear of the car so was lowered LESS than the front for weight balance/aerodynamics.

See specifications in attached picture. Basically, it is a 0.7% change so that if the speedo read 60 mph with the old rims/tires, i am actually travelling 60.4 mph with the new setup. This is an 'ideal' given perfection and not accounting for tire variences or tread wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete04222 said:
enjoythemusic said:
...You wouldn't have to do the work, just sit in your lawn chair with the cold beer and let me use your equipment and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'll bring my wife and she can sit in the chair next to you and enjoy you correcting me.
Hmmm... sounds tempting 8)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i love them! Just seemed soooo weird with the rears being the new design and the front rims/tires being the old. Kinesis deserves a HUGE kudos as they fit perfectly. i DO NOT mean kind of fit, i do not mean fit pretty good. i DO MEAN perfect as in i turn the steering wheel in full in all directions and it is all perfect. The way the rims fill the tire well is uniform front and rear and is perfect (and as a professional high-end audio reviewer/photojournalist it is VERY RARE i use the 'P' word).

As for weight on the new front rims/tires versus the old ones, it was a crapshoot and virtually even. So i gained a full inch of rim diameter and full inch of tread with virtually zero weight gain(!).

And for those keeping track... went from 16 inch to 17 inch rims, added a full inch of rubber under EACH tire, and she gained only 3 lbs total.

Enjoy the pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Wow Steve!! That is Awesome!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
marcos said:
I had my doubt, but that last few pics prooved it looks very good! Have fun with them...
Indeed, and I have a question for you. Do you ever get complaints from people who say you blinded them while you had your light turned off? That paint shines :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, many thanks guys. Here is all you need to do:

Wash car using a soap that strips down the old wax (Palmolive or the like).

Dry car and bring it in the garage.

Clay bar car (Mother's, etc) and use a car cover on parts of the car AFTER you have clay bared them.

Uncover only small sections of the car and use 3M scratch remover or very light abrasive compound VERY carefully and only uncover the part of the car you are working on.

Same "keep car partially covered as you work on sections" trick and use Zymol Cleaner/Wax using the Zymol blue sponge applicator (wax on, wax off with microfiber cloth).

Uncover all of car and use Zymol Ital wax applied by hand (wax on, wax off with microfiber cloth).

Move car from garage to outside and bake it in the sun for 30 minutes to an hour depending on outside temp.

Bring car in garage and wait 4 hours or more for the body to cool off. Usually i wait until night when the car is cool (70F or so).

Spray SMALL amounts of purified water on the car to buff her with microfiber cloth.

NOTE: ALL cloths should be top quality CLEAN microfiber and change clean parts of cloth often. i generally go through about 10+ microfiber cloths for this entire job.

Hope this all makes sense.

WARNING: The below pics are from a 2-day clean/wax job. BE AFRAID!!! BE VERY AFRAID!

FYI: the tree reflected in the paint is about 30 feet away. Note depth, clarity, color accuracy, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Steve, for the love of God please stop!! Do not show me anymore pictures like that because I am getting sick!! I want my car to shine like that. Yours does and mine doesn't.

Great advice on the process. Over the winter I will get all the stuff I need and then in the spring give it the once over. Your car looks great. Keep the posts coming with reports on the new wheels!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts