Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.

I am a new member located in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. I do not yet own an F-car, but am planning to buy a 360 Modena next spring. I was planning to buy a new airplane, but with the combination of the gas prices and increasing regulatory hurdles, I've decided to hang up my wings for a while, and pursue my Italian dream. I am not a wealthy man, but I am blessed with a good job, and a wife who supports my madness.

I realize the 360 is the highest volume model Maranello has put out, but it's the shape that makes my heart jump, and that's what we're all buying for, right? The organic curves of the 360 remind me of the 250GTO and the Dino, whereas the harsher lines of the F430 remind me more of the angular 80's cars. I do love the looks of the 550, but having just sold a Corvette C6 last year, I don't get as excited about that distribution.

I have read the 360 Buyer's Guide from this site (thank you!), and will be lurking over the coming months to learn as much as I can before my purchase. I do have a few initial questions:
  1. What, if any, are the differences between the model years?
  2. Where can I find detailed production numbers? I don't want to search forever for a car that does not exist.
  3. For you 360 owners, what "gotchas" did you encounter when buying yours?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
welcome to the forum!

you'll find lots of help here, I'm sure you'll stick around

good luck with the search for the new car!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have definitely come to the right place for help. Good luck with the 360 it is a spectacular car.

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corvette and 550 in one sentence. Just another day at the Connolly-clad office.
I certainly intended no offense towards the 550. I realize there is a world of difference between the Corvette and the Maranello. I was speaking merely from a positional viewpoint, large(r)-displacement front-located engine, and a cockpit situated more towards the rear of the car. I have come to realize I prefer a mid-engine layout.

The 550 is beautiful, though, and I would gladly own one.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao and welcome

Don't worry about not flying a plane the 360 will fly for you..:cool:

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
I do have a few initial questions:
  1. What, if any, are the differences between the model years?
  2. Where can I find detailed production numbers? I don't want to search forever for a car that does not exist.
  3. For you 360 owners, what "gotchas" did you encounter when buying yours?
Welcome to FL. The 360 is a great drivers Ferrari and I have been very impressed with mine. In terms of major issues, there really are not a lot. There were a couple of minor recalls, make sure they have been done. The cambelt tensioners should be upgraded. If it is an F1 transmission, make sure it has the latest software upgrade. Get a comprehensive Pre Purchase Inspection done by a 3rd party Ferrari mechanic. Check the front undertray for chips and cracks. The 360 is a low car and prone to bottoming out on speed bumps etc. Check all the electricals, AC, and alarm. The alarm control moduals are prone to failure (if the alarm light is continuously flashing when the car is off, it needs replacing). Pull the rear undertray off and check for oil and other fluid leaks, the tray will catch them so looking on the ground under the car is useless. Check the engine mounts and steering rack. Both tend to be subject to wear.

In terms of serial numbers, the best resource is:

Ferrari Serial Numbers Manual 1947-2007 - The Raab Files Revisited (Hardcover)
by Matthias Urban (Author)

and check the Registry here: http://www.ferrarilife.com/register/browse.php?model=131

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I certainly intended no offense towards the 550. I realize there is a world of difference between the Corvette and the Maranello. I was speaking merely from a positional viewpoint, large(r)-displacement front-located engine, and a cockpit situated more towards the rear of the car. I have come to realize I prefer a mid-engine layout.

The 550 is beautiful, though, and I would gladly own one.
I realised that Roman, my response was tongue-in-cheek (OK, and about 5% frustration). Nevertheless, that comparison is drawn many times but IMHO never by people who have driven the 550. BTW, the 360 is a great Ferrari, I hope you find a nice one soon. It's a bit slower than a 550, though, :) and the relative lack of torque makes for a very different driving experience.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and information.

Boxer - I will definitely check into the sources you listed.

JazzyO - You are correct, I should drive a 550 before I rush to judgments. There is a guy around the corner from me with one, I love it when he drives by.

·
Registered
16 Posts
boxer's post on this topic reminds me why i am grateful to him every time i post a question or reference one and see he has contributed with his thousands of posts. fortunately he is knowledgeable, takes the time, respectful and wants to be of service in a seemingly modest way especially to newcomers like i was and still am. in my areas of expertise i try and behave in the same way.

newcomers don't need glib or tongue in cheek we need info. and direction. that's why we're here. sorry if i stepped on any skirts out there but that's the way this man sees it and i've been around quite a lot.

guess you have a fan boxer.

now what about the recambi recalls i found on my iphone and couldn't enlarge? any f355's?

thanks men & ladies,
steve

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
boxer's post on this topic reminds me why i am grateful to him every time i post a question or reference one and see he has contributed with his thousands of posts. fortunately he is knowledgeable, takes the time, respectful and wants to be of service in a seemingly modest way especially to newcomers like i was and still am. in my areas of expertise i try and behave in the same way.

newcomers don't need glib or tongue in cheek we need info. and direction. that's why we're here. sorry if i stepped on any skirts out there but that's the way this man sees it and i've been around quite a lot.

guess you have a fan boxer.

now what about the recambi recalls i found on my iphone and couldn't enlarge? any f355's?

thanks men & ladies,
steve
Steve, Thanks. You made my day.

On the recalls, the only ones I know of for the F355 are:

1999 Ferrari F355 NHTSA Recall ID Number: 00V064000
Recall Date: MAR 02, 2000
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Units Affected: 477
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH BOSCH BRAKING SYSTEM. BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR HOSES MAY NOT BE RESISTANT TO BRAKE FLUID, WHICH COULD CAUSE FAILURE OF THE HOSES.
Consequence: SHOULD A HOSE FAILURE OCCUR, THE BRAKE FAILURE LIGHT WOULD LIGHT UP, FOLLOWED BY LOSS OF VEHICLE BRAKING EFFICIENCY.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HOSES AND, IF REQUIRED, INSTALL NEW HOSES THAT ARE RESISTANT TO BRAKE FLUID.
Notes: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA, 20

1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta NHTSA Recall ID Number: 95V079000
Recall Date: APR 20, 1995
Component: COMMUNICATIONS:HORN ASSEMBLY
Potential Units Affected: 211
Summary: THE INTERNATIONAL HORN EMBLEM IS MISSING FROM THE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL COVER. THIS DOES NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR FMVSS NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS."
Consequence: CONSEQUENCE OF NON-COMPLIANCE: THIS CONDITION CAN CAUSE INABILITY TO WARN OTHER DRIVERS IN A CRASH SITUATION, AND RESULT IN VEHICLE DAMAGE AND INCREASED RISK OF INJURY.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL STAMP THE STEERING WHEEL WITH AN ELECTRICALLY HEATED TOOL ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SPOKE OF THE STEERING WHEEL.
Notes: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA,

·
Registered
16 Posts
boxer, it is what it is. i appreciate service in life. i try.
i have a beautiful black berlinetta as you might tell from my logo. it happens to be a 1995. will the local dealer have the recall fix on my vin/chasis # ( who i've had an issue with since his substandard ppi) or is it ferrari n.a.?

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
boxer, it is what it is. i appreciate service in life. i try.
i have a beautiful black berlinetta as you might tell from my logo. it happens to be a 1995. will the local dealer have the recall fix on my vin/chasis # ( who i've had an issue with since his substandard ppi) or is it ferrari n.a.?
Any official dealer should be able to run your VIN through their system and tel you if the recall has been done.

Black does look great on the F355.:thumbsup:

I am in the process of having the Daytona resprayed in Nero:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9022

·
Registered
16 Posts
boxer, what is up with you and your cars??? i absolutely do not get it. let alone the restoration, at least it's a datona but come on...

is your garage bigger than your british castle?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
What a strange post Steve. Not exactly a friendly way to ask a question, and seemingly opposite in tone to your previous post.

I'm sure Boxer is too much of a gentleman to respond, so let me give you my version: if I had the money for it, I would own at least half a dozen Ferraris plus various other legendary cars. And if I wanted to rescue a Daytona for posterity (or even just me), I would do so.

Let us just be grateful we have someone on this board who enthousiastically shares his passion and vast experience with us, whether he chooses to sell all his cars or buy twice as many. He may not make the choices we would have done with the same purse, but surely that is a good thing? At least then you get to learn something. Each person is entirely entitled to make their choices as they see fit, whether they live in a mud hut or castle.

@Viabono - great looking 550, of course!

@Boxer - nero? Great stuff!! Fantastic colour for the Daytona.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
16 Posts
boxer, and jazzyo, after rereading my post jazzyo is 100% correct, as it reads. i will tell you, as i am sure you know boxer, i have nothing but appreciation and admiration for your contributions and knowledge as well as your continuation of a fragile heritage, as jazzyo would put it. not to mention your letting your purse do your talking in the dedication to what i am sure is a daily driving, as i do, snow and salt permitting.

i meant my post to have a humorous ting in the outrageousness of both the wonderful and extensively depicted undertaking of the restoration on the website and the seemingly unending collection of boxer's collection. i was going to go on to compliment boxer in the post but i thought it would have been laying it on a bit too thick in view of my former posts. i didn't want to form a fan club in fairfield, ct.

all, please read my poorly phrased post in this light.

my apologies for starting this turn in the thread.
steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts