Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me introduce myself. I come from a mainly Porsche background, owning a 2002 Carrera 4 and a 2005 Cayenne S. I've always been a fan of ferrari, and have finally been bitten by the bug.

Im looking to purchase a Ferrari 360. They come recommended as a good start in recient model history. I'd like to know about:

Overall Reliability. This car will be driven, lets assume, 20,000kms or so a year as a daily driver. Summer Time Driving; Travel, stop and go, as well as some more spirited excursions.

Part Expense. My main concern is the clutch, and timing belts. Im looking at 6-Speed Manual only. What is the expected clutch life under heavy (stop and go) conditions? Timing Belt expectancy? I dont want to fork over a small fourtune for a clutch each summer. Having owned a Porsche, Im a bit of a miser.

What to stay away from. I've seen alot of trash cars in my travels. What 360's are good years to start with? Bad? Price : KM Ratio. Recalls?

I've seen a few Modena's change hands for $150,000 to $175,000CDN in Clean condition with around 40,000 to 50,000KMS. This is right in my price range.

I'd appriciate any comments or information. General experiences with 360's, or recommendations on other models (355, etc) would be appriciated as well.

Thanks guys.:drive:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Another fellow Canadian, welcome to the Forum !

This is a cool place to hang and talk Ferrari’s……now as far as your questions goes I can only make you ask yourself a few questions and from there you can make a choice.

If you registered and paid for you membership, a lot of the answers are in the buyers guides and make for good reading material on all models.

I spent almost a 6 months learning about the 348 because it’s the model I plan to buy in the next 2 years or so (had to put it on hold due to lots of big home renovations and our first baby girl 8 months ago) but I learned a lot by reading up on it on the forum and the web.

Now there are several questions that you need to ask yourself when your going to purchase a car over 100K. First off, will you pay monthly for it or buy it outright? The reason is this, if your going to make monthly payments on it, the service needed on a car that gets 20k per year can be a little higher than most cars like a Porsche. So adding it to your monthly payment can leave you with a sour taste in your mouth. But then again, if you have tons of cash but choose to be stingy at least it’s not a cash flow problem. But if you’re worried about it, my recommendation would be to spend less on a Ferrari, maybe a 355 to give you that extra room for maintenance. Now a 360 is a reliable car as most all of them are. It all depends how you treat it. If you drive it like money doesn’t matter and a car is just a car then you will pay more than most people.

Everything you learned about sports cars with a Porsche you need to forget it because your walking down a different path now. Not a bad one, just different.

Example, I can afford an 80k Ferrari and the payments would not leave me broke at the end of the month but close to what an annual would cost but definitely not close to a 30k major. So my plan is to drop half or more on it and have a regular 30-40k car payment with plenty to spare every month. This would also not be my daily driver, I have a truck payment for my Sierra 2500 SLT crew cab as well and will soon be gone on top of that. So this is my plan, and you need one too. The only disadvantage is everything on a 360 and up is dealer only. It’s preferable to have all the documentation with the car and have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done before buying.

Unfortunately recommendations on models depend on each person. Do I like the 360? yes, if I have 150K to spend would I buy it? No…I would buy a 512 TR but someone might say hell no, I would buy a 1969 365 GTS 2+2 for 130k

I’m sure other folks here will have some info for you………

Hope this helps…

~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I'll be buying the car outright, trading my C4 and some cash if possible. If not, theres always the bargain finder. :p

I put ALOT of KM's on the porsche. It never failed me. Im by no means rich, but I can afford the $175,000-ish required for a ferrari, and any emergency repairs. I just dont want it to be a habit of being in the shop for something or another. I was always under the impression that Ferrari's were fussy like old Lambo's.

I've considered older models, but, you can pay just a little bit more to get the newer model, and its just that much more car.

Like my dad wont buy a car more than 2 years old if ever he searches for used one's. He said the extra cost makes up for the cost in repairs it would take to get an older car in good working order.

I'll research a little more before I deside. Maybe wait for 360's to come down a little more.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Welcome

So I see you are letting go of your Porsche C4,...I myself's a bit of a Porsche fan (as you can see). As for your Ferrari search, I concurr that it is each to his/her own. If you are very concerned for reliability, any models from F355 beyond is very reliable. I do understand that your comparison is Porsche, but as stated earlier, they are two very different car makers w/ different philosophy. If you intend to enter Ferrrari world, paradigm shift is in order. i've been down the same road before. My first initiation into Ferrari was a used 1997 F355 Berlinetta. I wasn't exactly crazy over it but my novice logic was, well not a bad model in terms of reliability and price, etc. Of course, the car was very reliable, no major mechanical displeasures, one of the best exhaust note around. The model was a manual shift by choice. Nothing wrong overall, but I got "bored" w/ the car because it was so reliable. Eventually, my cautious logic went out the window and I have entered the surreal world of Ferrari that I never thought I would ever find myself in. (I used to wonder why people would pay so much money for "old" Ferraris). Let's get back to the topic,...which model is a personal matter. Try out the different models and see which one stirs your soul and pumps your adrenalin. It could be 360, 355, 348 or other models. Your searching process is part of the fun so enjoy it. I'll stop for now. Good luck and keep us informed. Jimmy

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just My Opinion...

Welcome Mr. Bacon,

You have made a good decision to join the ranks of the Tifosi, However, IMPO, You have made a bad decision choosing the 360 as a 1st Ferrari. They are not the best car the marque have produced, skitish at the back under hard cornering, terrible in the wet, Interior build quality is not great....And one reason, (not necessarily a good one), but does have a bearing on both the ownership proposition and the resale value, is rarity. Ferrari stamped out over 17,500 of these things, The single largest population of a model in their entire history. Drive one and see if the handling suits you first, if it does buy one, but be aware you will see others driving past you - Probably in the same colour and probably in the same model.

My 1st Ferrari was a 328GTS, A great car, beautiful classic pininfarina design with a piffling V8 and only 270 BHP, but I loved it....Now I am older and wiser and drive a proper Front Engined V12, (With a few in between)....I am not trying to put you off your 'Dream' car...Just make sure you try before buy....BTW these Stallions are nothing like the clinical, ergonomic mass produced germanic vehicles you are used to owning, These are real cars built with passion and implanted with a soul - Even the 360's.

Argento

PS - If your going to buy one, Buy a Challenge Stradale, By far the best of the range !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. Its pretty much the input I was hoping to get.

"They are not the best car the marque have produced, skitish at the back under hard cornering, terrible in the wet, Interior build quality is not great...."

My first Porsche was a 3.3L Turbo. It was the most brute car of the time. No traction on anything, including dry. Eerily long turbo lag, and a caboose that just loved to toss you around in any kind of curvature. In fact, it was so bad, when you hard braked in a straight line, you could feel the back not stopping as fast as the front. Tap the brakes lightly in any corner at any speed and it became a carnival ride.

Back on Ferrari Topic.

Im looking for something more elegant. Porsches are bored from solid granite in comparison to ferrari, but ferrari is so pristine. Hand crafted from the finest. I like the 360 because of the aesthetics. It looks much better, yet, not screaming like a 430 or Enzo. My first impression of the 360 upon coming across one, was, you can see the engine. Thats kinda cool. Oh look, you can see it from IN the car too.

It has a bigger boot than my C4, although I imagine the performance is only marginally more, which is fine. Interior is spacious compared to my C4, and even though it has no back seat, it has space behind the seats.

I am a fan of the 355, but the price is near that of a 360 for later model, more equiped 355's.

Another thought that my wife mentioned, was a 550 Barchetta or 575M Maranello. Both of which I would consider, but still unresearched, I imagine that come at a higher premium.

Im still not sure on ferrari, but Im willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Explore V12s

Your thoughts on the 550 Barchetta, Maranello & 575M are in the right track (Gotta good wife there). Seriously, explore the V12s and I think you would be pleasantly surprised how reliable, comfortable, and powerful these are. They are GTs afterall. Great long distance driver cars. Probably the V8 Modena would fade away. Why don't you PM our member, Boxer, cause he has purchased a 550 Maranello recently and I am sure Boxer would be able to furnish you w/ all the technical and emotinal reasons for choosing V12. Happy search. Jimmy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'll do some more research when work slows down. Maybe get some rides with members of the local ferrari club. But Im pretty picky when it comes to cars. I dont just buy the first 'good deal' I come across.

Happy Motoring :drive:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Its pretty much the input I was hoping to get.

"They are not the best car the marque have produced, skitish at the back under hard cornering, terrible in the wet, Interior build quality is not great...."

Back on Ferrari Topic. - Good....

Im looking for something more elegant. - V12 GT
I am a fan of the 355, but the price is near that of a 360 for later model, more equiped 355's. - There goes the elegance.....

Another thought that my wife mentioned, was a 550 Barchetta or 575M Maranello. Both of which I would consider, but still unresearched, I imagine that come at a higher premium.

Only 448 550 Barchetta's made, Beautiful car, not very practical, rubbish soft top, 575 OK but softer and not as well sorted as a Good 550, Maybe you should consider a 575 Superamerica - Best of Both Worlds, Again only 559 made and you will have to pay handsomely for the privilege....
Im still not sure on ferrari, but Im willing to give it a try.
You will never go back once you have found the right car !

Argento

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
My recommendation would be to first decide how you intend to use the car. If for short drives and track days, then the 8 cylinder Ferraris are the way to go. Suggest you drive a 328, F355, and 360 and see which stirs the soul. If the idea is to cross contintents, then definitely go with a big front engine 12 cylinder. Of the modern ones, IMHO the 550 Maranello is the best of the bunch. Unless you are really a classic car person, I would not recommend a Boxer, Daytona, Dino, or older as a first Ferrari. Much better to get the bug firmly planted under the skin before tackling all the nuiances of the Classic and Vintage group.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hello fellow canadian!

I own a 2002 575 and I enjoy it much!

Can fit two sets of golf clubs and luggage--a big consideration for me.

yes--a little more money--but very reliable and very fast.

They look way better live than by picture

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a friend who always said that the ultimate is a Porsche for during the week. His stable consisted of a 1970 911E coupe and a Ferrari 512 BB.

I always thought this to be an ultimate situation and currently I have a 1988 Porsche 928 S4 and a 1981 308 GTSi. I must say that it is great to commute in the Porsche and to know that on Friday, or in the evenings I get to spend time with the Ferrari. In a sense, it really keeps the Ferrari as something special - I don't think I would want to drive it every day as it would lose some of that specialness.

If I were to choose from the selection mentioned, I would keep the Carrera and get a 355 for weekends.

Regards

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a friend who always said that the ultimate is a Porsche for during the week and a Ferrari for the weekends. His stable consisted of a 1970 911E coupe and a Ferrari 512 BB.

I always thought this to be an ultimate situation and currently I have a 1988 Porsche 928 S4 and a 1981 308 GTSi. I must say that it is great to commute in the Porsche and to know that on Friday, or in the evenings I get to spend time with the Ferrari. In a sense, it really keeps the Ferrari as something special - I don't think I would want to drive it every day as it would lose some of that specialness.

If I were to choose from the selection mentioned, I would keep the Carrera 4 and get a 355 for weekends.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to follow up, since its been awhile since my last post.

I've found a 575M that really "Stirs my Soul". I am beginning preparations to purchase it, hopefully before X-MAS. Then I can wrap it in gift wrap.

As it stands, I should be able to retain the C4 for most driving, and of course the Cayenne for the wife.

It came down between a 360 Challange Stradle and the 575. The V12 has the most electrifying exhaust note, AND its still a very functional car. The 360 CS was just too "Hardcore" to justify the price. It came across as more of a toy than a functional exotic.

I'll follow up again with some pictures, hopefully before X-MAS.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I've found a 575M that really "Stirs my Soul". I am beginning preparations to purchase it, hopefully before X-MAS. Then I can wrap it in gift wrap.

As it stands, I should be able to retain the C4 for most driving, and of course the Cayenne for the wife.

It came down between a 360 Challange Stradle and the 575. The V12 has the most electrifying exhaust note, AND its still a very functional car. The 360 CS was just too "Hardcore" to justify the price. It came across as more of a toy than a functional exotic.

That's great - Well Done & good choice out of the 2....

Let me know the serial, assy & engine number's - we may have information the dealer doesn't ?

Argento

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts

Great choice and congratulations. Fully agree with your assessment on the two options. The Challenge Stradale is a great car but not the most functional. The 575 is a true anywhere any time GT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im purchasing the car from my In-laws neighbour. Its a 2002 - Yellow with Black interior. It has about 13,000kms on it. It runs and drives good, of course. Very clean and well cared for. :drive:

I should have it, hopefully by end of the week - Unless work gets in the way.

Pics to follow when the new Camera arrives :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Im purchasing the car from my In-laws neighbour. Its a 2002 - Yellow with Black interior. It has about 13,000kms on it. It runs and drives good, of course. Very clean and well cared for. :drive:

I should have it, hopefully by end of the week - Unless work gets in the way.

Pics to follow when the new Camera arrives :)
Does it have a F1 or manual box ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts