Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Igor and I have been checking out this site for a few days now. I noticed that there is a nice collection of very helpful and not rude people here. I am currently not a F-car owner but if everthing goes good with work I will be. I have been a HUGE fan of porsche's for a few years, thought about buying one for a long time but never took that jump. And now the more I think about it, I'm glad I didn't. The reason is because these Italians are so much more reachable now that I find myself asking why would I pay $90k-$110k for a 911 turbo when I can get a 360 or a 550 for the same price or less? But of course the over all Ownership costs of a ferrari are goiong to be more then the turbo, or at least thats what I gather without any personal knowledge of the 2. So I guess I'm going to keep searching for some "Honest" answers. I am thinking of a 360 or 550 (manual) and doing about 5k miles a year. I am married with a little boy who is going to be 1 next month so I can't just drive a ferrari all the time ( 2 seaters) What is a good amount to set aside for repairs and maintenace every month. And anyone has a clue if there is a good shop in the seattle area that can do the work. We have a dealer here but i think a independent shop is better. Thanks guys for providing this great site I feel like I will find what I'm looking for here. Later:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum Igor, you have come to the right place! There is a great group of people on this site:thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice to meet you, good to see a converted porsche fan, very many friendly guys and gals on here:thumbsup:
I still think porsches are awsome it's just that for the same money I can have a ferrari. Porsche is like the girl from school you thought was cute, while the ferrari is the hot ass cheerleader. You get what I'm saying.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Welcome, Igor.

Be careful about buying a car based upon price. Ferrari prices are now all over the map, because of the economic situation.

Prices should rise in the future but not a great deal I would guess.

Ferrari's are great cars but you must do substantial research on a model of interest before you buy so you are aware of any issues involved. Every model has some and some have more.

Maintenance is quite different from that of Porsche and a whole lot more expensive as well.

My advice is to take your time. It's an involved process, and you want to make sure your first exposure is a good one.

Welcome to the site. We do have a good time here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum Igor, you have come to the right place! There is a great group of people on this site:thumbsup:

Chris
Honestly I looked at ferrari chat and didn't get a good vibe from the people there, It seems like the ownership of a ferrari or lambo is so hard to find out about. But with time I'll know enough to make a sure purchase.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Honestly I looked at ferrari chat and didn't get a good vibe from the people there, It seems like the ownership of a ferrari or lambo is so hard to find out about. But with time I'll know enough to make a sure purchase.
Every site has it's pros and cons.

This one has more pros, and we have ChrisHawk as well!!!

We all would be happy to help you find a car but you have to do your homework.

Chris never does his homework. He's always on FerrariLife!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, Igor.

Be careful about buying a car based upon price. Ferrari prices are now all over the map, because of the economic situation.

Prices should rise in the future but not a great deal I would guess.

Ferrari's are great cars but you must do substantial research on a model of interest before you buy so you are aware of any issues involved. Every model has some and some have more.

Maintenance is quite different from that of Porsche and a whole lot more expensive as well.

My advice is to take your time. It's an involved process, and you want to make sure your first exposure is a good one.

Welcome to the site. We do have a good time here.
I'm not trying to get the cheapest one, just don't want to get ripped off. And thats exactly what I want to do is find out everything about the models (360 and 550 for now) And I know the maintenance is going to be more. Is there a guide that show all the typical maintenance for each model with average costs. Or if someone is willing to share about their cars. Just so I have a clue about what I'm getting myself into, because yes I do not want my first ferrari to completely discourage me from ever getting one again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Who is ChrisHawk? And I will find out everything I can before i buy, I will even have to drive some before I commit.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

Haha! Naw, I just do my homework while on FL:thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---I want to do is find out everything about the models (360 and 550 for now)
Those are two different animals, and 12 cylinder maintenance is considerably more than 8 cylinder models.

Get to know them well.

---Is there a guide that show all the typical maintenance for each model with average costs. Or if someone is willing to share about their cars.
No actual guide but this is why you have to be fully familiar with the model of interest. By doing research you will discover what the maintenance should cost.

We will all share about our car's costs.

---Just so I have a clue about what I'm getting myself into, because yes I do not want my first ferrari to completely discourage me from ever getting one again.
This is a critical approach. You can't guess.

Chris is the great person who has 3 X's the # of posts than I do!!!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Who is ChrisHawk? And I will find out everything I can before i buy, I will even have to drive some before I commit.
That would be me:thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Chris is the great person who has 3 X's the # of posts than I do!!!
A great person? HAHAHAHA:laugh: ;)
BTW, I have 3.154 times more posts ;)

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you say the v12 are more expensive then v8, thats good info. I really like both so i think a drive in each would have to happen for sure. I just really want to know what you guys know about your cars and since Gcalo has a 360 tell me about your car if your cool with that. I'm all ears.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
So you say the v12 are more expensive then v8, thats good info.
V12's are more expensive because there is more involved and it takes longer to get at things.

---I really like both so i think a drive in each would have to happen for sure.
Driving the cars will tell you little about the cars. You mustresearch the differences.

---I just really want to know what you guys know about your cars and since Gcalo has a 360 tell me about your car if your cool with that. I'm all ears.
I promise I will but the "boss" is calling and wants equal time with me that the computer has taken.

To be continued tomorrow.

See Chris has time to calculate how many more posts he has than I!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man looking forward to hearing what you have to say. The cost of maintenance will not matter as much as the fun and over all feel of the car. Or will it?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Igor, join the site as a paid member and you will have access to the buyer's guides. Plus you will have the distinguished title of "Elite". That right there is worth the $30.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao and Welcome to the " F-LIFE"

There are a lot of Porsche enthusiasts here as well most of us own one type of German car or another.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, Mercedes over here. In addition to the Ferrari, the Chevy and the Jeep.

Plus now it seems as though I am looking for a 944.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts