Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am 57 and live in Poulsbo, Washington
Currently I have a 1991 Turbo MR2 which I have restored and keep in the garage except on perfect days, which are pretty rare in western Washington. I figure with the minor mods I have done I have about 200 hp at the wheels. Otherwise, I strive to keep it stock. If you know the model, you know that it has "borrowed" (extensively) from the 308 design.

The other day the wife and I were waiting for the Port Townsend ferry and I saw a nice red 308 and went and talked with the owner. I was shocked by his report of the price he paid and the great condition of the car. I decided I might have to become a Ferrari owner.

My first move is to buy a book or books so I know which year/model I want.
So my first question for the group is....

Which book covers the 308 models best?

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
While I am biased I think starting with the Buyer's Guide isn't a bad choice, it covers all the differences in the 308 and specifically addresses what it is like to live with a 308.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Greg, welcome to FL. You came to the right source for your search. Enjoy and fire off your questions after going over the Buyers' Guide as suggested by Andrew. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Hi All
I am 57 and live in Poulsbo, Washington
Currently I have a 1991 Turbo MR2 which I have restored and keep in the garage except on perfect days, which are pretty rare in western Washington. I figure with the minor mods I have done I have about 200 hp at the wheels. Otherwise, I strive to keep it stock. If you know the model, you know that it has "borrowed" (extensively) from the 308 design.

The other day the wife and I were waiting for the Port Townsend ferry and I saw a nice red 308 and went and talked with the owner. I was shocked by his report of the price he paid and the great condition of the car. I decided I might have to become a Ferrari owner.

My first move is to buy a book or books so I know which year/model I want.
So my first question for the group is....

Which book covers the 308 models best?

Thanks
You can purchase our book from: http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Life-Buyers-Portfolio/dp/1855207478/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221987305&sr=8-1

Download the buyers guides individually from: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php

and browse through our reviews on other Ferrari books: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/reviews.php

Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello Mueller.
I bought the book ”Original Ferrari V8”.
It covers models 1974-94. 308 GT4, 308/328GTB/S, Mondial, 348, 288 GTO and the F40.
It’s a fine book with good information about the mentioned models.
ISBN 1-870979-78-8

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes to all of the above!

The buyer's guide on here is good, and the "Original..." series of books for various makes/models are consistent in their delivery and depth.

Speaking as an American, with any book you buy on a European sports car, be mindful of where it was written and published; most of these books printed in English are sold around the world and cover primarily cars for the Europe/World market, and feature photos and data that pertain to those cars. Just be aware when you read a book that they might be talking about a European model car, or that "1982" might mean calendar year, not model year!

- Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have downloaded the "Buyer's Guide" and ordered "Original Ferrari V8" and "Ferrari 308 Buyer's and Owner's Guide". I've been to 4 bookstores hoping to find used picture books but no luck. Guess I will have to go into Seattle

·
Registered
112 Posts
The book I mentioned shows details and optional equipment that are US specific, and is not only covering the EU models.
It also contains dimensions, weights and other specific data for the US.
It even specifies the toolkit differences and timing data for the US.
System capacities, gear ratios, electrical equipment and much more.
What else do you need?

;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always buy tons of books covering all my obsessions.
A coffee table picture book is like the Sears Christmas Toy Catalog when I was a kid in the 50s.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Abarth, I was speaking about car books in general; I know the Original series are specific. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
with any book you buy on a European sports car, be mindful of where it was written and published; most of these books printed in English are sold around the world and cover primarily cars for the Europe/World market, and feature photos and data that pertain to those cars. Just be aware when you read a book that they might be talking about a European model car, or that "1982" might mean calendar year, not model year!

- Tony
Sorry, my mistake, I just got stuck on the first part.
But you actually said "might" later.

Have a nice day.
:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good luck in your search!

The Ferrari Life Buyers Portfolio is THE book to get, it even has pictures too!
I was supposed to get a couple of those in the mail but have yet to see them? I wonder what happened there anyway????? :(

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts