Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

My name is Tony Johnson and I live in Orlando Florida. I have been a member of this forum for about 5 minutes and this is my first post.

For years I have thought of owning a Ferrari, specifically a 308GTSi QV. Red with a tan interior. No Magnum jokes please. I have no experience with Ferraris but have done a good amount of reading and research in preparation to make a good decision when I buy. I have been following the offerings on ebay for years in an effort to educate myself on the price ranges etc.

I looked at a 1982 GTSi QV today. It is in excellent condition, as far as a visual inspection by someone not familiar with these cars. The seller is asking 39k. The car has 43,750 miles on the odometer. Actually it is a euro car displaying km's which I converted to miles. I am sure there is some flexibility in the pricing.

Since I am now seriously considering my long awaited purchase it seems time to seek the advise of those who are familiar with that model and current values, as well as other things that I should consider in making a purchase decision.

I would consider of course a pre-buy inspection and review of maintenance records. The car has just had its 40k service. I do not know at what point it would need a further scheduled service, or the extent and cost of that service.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and advise.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
You wont get any Magnum PI jokes from me.....

I suggest you get a membership here...it will enable you to download all the buyers guide. They are very valuable...

~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Thanks Magnum,

I have been reading info on this site with the search feature. I tried to sign up as an elite member in order to access the other information but my computer will not allow me to send payment via credit card. I get a message that says that the security certificate of this site has been revoked! I find that a bit suprising and cannot figure out how to get past the computer blocking me. It is a Vista thing I guess.

Perhaps there is someone that I can call with my credit card info?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Tony,

I got your email and will check into the payment problem. It is odd as our payment processor is the largest in the world (PayPal).

Welcome to the site, I hope we are able to help you in your 308 search.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Greetings,

My name is Tony Johnson and I live in Orlando Florida. I have been a member of this forum for about 5 minutes and this is my first post.

For years I have thought of owning a Ferrari, specifically a 308GTSi QV. Red with a tan interior. No Magnum jokes please. I have no experience with Ferraris but have done a good amount of reading and research in preparation to make a good decision when I buy. I have been following the offerings on ebay for years in an effort to educate myself on the price ranges etc.

I looked at a 1982 GTSi QV today. It is in excellent condition, as far as a visual inspection by someone not familiar with these cars. The seller is asking 39k. The car has 43,750 miles on the odometer. Actually it is a euro car displaying km's which I converted to miles. I am sure there is some flexibility in the pricing.

Since I am now seriously considering my long awaited purchase it seems time to seek the advise of those who are familiar with that model and current values, as well as other things that I should consider in making a purchase decision.

I would consider of course a pre-buy inspection and review of maintenance records. The car has just had its 40k service. I do not know at what point it would need a further scheduled service, or the extent and cost of that service.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and advise.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony, Welcome to FL. One question is the 308 a i or a QV? A 1982 would most likely be a 2 valve I. If so then the price seems quite aggressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Boxer,

The car is a 4 value, fuel injection model. It does seem that the price is high, but that is the asking price and is negotiable. The fact that the car has just completed its 40k service and will not need scheduled service for another 30k (if I understand correctly) does have some value, but not enough to justify the high price.

I would be interested in the opinions of those here as to what a 308GTSi QV in excellent condition with 43,750 miles is worth.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Tony, Without seeing it, it is hard to say what the car is really worth. My guess would be $35k. On the services, it will not need another major with cambelt change for 3-5 years (depends on who you talk to as to the invervals on cambelt changes). It will however need at least an annual service. In terms of the mileage, check as to when the car came into the US, the recorded mileage at that point, and make sure it has all the DOT and EPA releases proving proper conversion to US spec etc. It is very easy to diconnect the speedo on any 308. Also you never know if it is really 70,000 km or 170,000 km. Many Euro cars, and especially 308's that have spent most of their life in Europe get driven and rack up large mileages. I kow of a couple of F40's with over 100,000 km on them (and both are in great condition).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tony,

I got your email and will check into the payment problem. It is odd as our payment processor is the largest in the world (PayPal).

Welcome to the site, I hope we are able to help you in your 308 search.
I think Tony answered the question himself....Vista is the devil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boxer

Boxer,

I was mistaken as to the year of the car when I posted earlier, it is not an 82 it is an 83. I do not know if that difference is significant, I suspect not.

I did download the 308 buyers guide from this site and find it very helpful.

If the seller and I can come to terms I will have a prebuy inspection done. The car really does show well, has no cosmetic flaws that I can see, and has a new looking recent paint job.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I can't really offer you any tips that you haven't had already, except maybe these, Buy with your head, not your heart. Don't fall in love with the first car you see as you will see it through rose tinted specs, look at several cars and compare them all. Take into account condition, driveability, expected costs to fix the minor or major problems, when was the last major service done? and what's it going to cost for a major inc cam belt renewal.
There's only a very limited market for Ferrari's, it's unlikely it's going to sell in between you seeing the car and thinking about it for a few days. If it does, it wasn't meant to be and there will be another one waiting for you with your name on it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks archie

Archie,

Thanks for that very good advice. I know that I will own a 308 someday and this appears to be a nice one. However I am not in a hurry and I learned long ago not to buy on impulse or as a result of emotion. There is no compelling need for me to buy this car. I am attempting to educate myself here so that I can recognize a good car and a good deal. When I find that car and that deal, I will buy it. I am fully prepared to walk away and keep looking until I find the car and the deal that I want.

Since the Ferrari market is so small there are not many to look at locally. There are some nice cars on ebay right now for the kind of money that I am looking to spend. The one that seems the best fit for me is on the other side of the country, and none of them are close to Florida. This car seems to be a very nice one with a major service (40k miles) just done. Only a good prebuy inspection will tell.

There are a couple of 308's for sale here on this site. Neither is exactly what I want which is red/tan. One is a black on black 2 valve but priced in a range more comfortable for me.

After my research I have come to the conclusion that the car I am looking at is worth about 32k and is 7k overpriced at the asking price of 39k.

Thanks for your good counsel.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Boxer,

I was mistaken as to the year of the car when I posted earlier, it is not an 82 it is an 83. I do not know if that difference is significant, I suspect not.

I did download the 308 buyers guide from this site and find it very helpful.

If the seller and I can come to terms I will have a prebuy inspection done. The car really does show well, has no cosmetic flaws that I can see, and has a new looking recent paint job.
Makes sense now. A 82 would be a 2 valve injected 308, the move to 4 vavle (QV) was done in 83.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts