Ferrari Life Forum banner

New Ferrari Purchasing/Ownership Questions?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Working for a 360 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the purchasing and ownership of a new Ferrari automobile and was hoping a few nice authentic Ferrari owners would be able to answer a handful of questions?

1. At one's local ferrari dealership is it at all possible to purchase a new Ferrari, or at least order one for the suggested MSRP, without having to pay a substantial dealer markup? that is to say when using online references such as www.dupontregistry.com to search for new and used ferraris I'm seeing various cars with asking prices much higher than the suggested MSRP even used vehicles with thousands of miles on them are asking for much more than the retail price.

2. If a dealer does not have on their lot an automobile with the color choices or options etc. that suit your liking, what then is the usual waiting period to have one built and sent over seas to America? Usually with other vehicles such as BMW M's or Mercedes AMG's or Porsche's the wait is between 3 and 4 months upon placing your order at the factory. However, I'm assuming the wait period could be longer for a Ferrari?

3. Many of the used Ferrari's i.e. model 360's that I've seen listed with dupont registry have exceptionally low mileage, many being 2 or 3 years old and yet only having between 2,000 - 8,000 miles on them. I was wondering what the reason for this might be? some of my thoughts were..

a. Perhaps driving the car as a daily driver would lead to a much more rapid depreciation of the vehicles residual value?
b. Insurance incentives for driving substantially fewer miles than the norm and or the reduction in potential risk of damage, vandilism and possible theft of the vehicle being exposed to public roads and being parked in public areas, such as for shopping or dining out, not to mention valet?
c. The primary use of the vehicle might be to enjoy it at a racetrack in which the vehicle is only driven a short distance to and from the event or transported to the event and is not drivin on public streets?
d. The cost and or frequency of routine maintenance of the vehicle prohibits more frequent usage?

4. finally I would like to inquire as to the reliability and the general usability of the average new ferrari, unless I'm misquoting I believe Ferrari offers a 24 month/unlimited mileage warranty on all new vehicles, and given that other car marques such as Porsche, Mercedes and BMW offer a multitude of vehicles reliable and servicable enough for daily use, I was wondering if a new Ferrari would also be of that standard and that the duration of it's realiability was such that it would/would not need to be replaced for a newer model at the end of the 24 month period to remain problem free?

Thank you very much for your time and insight into my query, my best regards to you all and your fine automobiles.

See less See more
#2 ·
My remarks available for Switzerland..can be different for the US :

1. I have ordered my 360 Spider F1 at my local dealer and I had to pay an advance of $25.000. Else I paid the normal catalogue price.

2. I had to wait 2yrs for my 360. Ordered in august 2000 and I've got it in July 2002. Do not forget that the Italian factory closes in August for 1 month !

3. good question...maintenance costs too high, they didn't like the car, money problem, too visible, ... Who knows ?

4. I have acquired a 3yrs guarantee and I drive mine all the days. The new models shouldn't give any substantial problems anymore but they ARE delicat models that require regular maintenance and care. You're NOT buying a Toyota !!

Didier.

#3 ·
the dealer answers the best.

1. At one's local ferrari dealership is it at all possible to purchase a new Ferrari, or at least order one for the suggested MSRP, without having to pay a substantial dealer markup? that is to say when using online references such as www.dupontregistry.com <http://www.dupontregistry.com> to search for new and used ferraris I'm seeing various cars with asking prices much higher than the suggested MSRP even used vehicles with thousands of miles on them are asking for much more than the retail price.

I noticed u r in Atlanta. For states, as far as I know, for recent models, the dealers should have some waiting for you if u were to pay at MSRP. However, if they have the cars suiting ur request, they usually ask for some additional cost on top of the MSRP, for one thing the car might be a drop out of another person's order, or they may just happen to have a car from other dealer in exchange for another kind of model, of both you will have to pay extras to get it to your door without further waiting.

2. If a dealer does not have on their lot an automobile with the color choices or options etc. that suit your liking, what then is the usual waiting period to have one built and sent over seas to America? Usually with other vehicles such as BMW M's or Mercedes AMG's or Porsche's the wait is between 3 and 4 months upon placing your order at the factory. However, I'm assuming the wait period could be longer for a Ferrari?
It also depends on the model. I have no experience with Modena or anything more expensive than it. But when I placed mine in states back then, it was about 4 months. It was a 355 Spider. And I paid at MSRP.

3. Many of the used Ferrari's i.e. model 360's that I've seen listed with dupont registry have exceptionally low mileage, many being 2 or 3 years old and yet only having between 2,000 - 8,000 miles on them. I was wondering what the reason for this might be? some of my thoughts were..

a. Perhaps driving the car as a daily driver would lead to a much more rapid depreciation of the vehicles residual value?
This is of certainty. The mileage is ur key. Mileage maybe something of less significance for other kinds of cars, but for ferrari as far as I could learn, that is exactly one of the first concenrs any prospective buyer or professional car appraisal will look at.

b. Insurance incentives for driving substantially fewer miles than the norm and or the reduction in potential risk of damage, vandilism and possible theft of the vehicle being exposed to public roads and being parked in public areas, such as for shopping or dining out, not to mention valet?
I dun think insurance ( I am not sure how it works in GA), but mine over in CA depends on the driving record and age criteria, and definitely the number of cars you insure together with you ferrari. The better the record, the older the age, and definitely the more the cars u have for insurance, the lower the price. I experienced sudden shot-up of insurance price when I started putting off other cars at the same insurance.

c. The primary use of the vehicle might be to enjoy it at a racetrack in which the vehicle is only driven a short distance to and from the event or transported to the event and is not drivin on public streets?
d. The cost and or frequency of routine maintenance of the vehicle prohibits more frequent usage?

Routine maintainance should not be much of the issue (again i am speaking for the dealer in CA). in fact my dealer offers very attractive maintenance packages that will give u peace of mind to drive the car as often as u want. But maybe again, I drove it so scarcely, I rarely go back to dealer for maintenance.

4. finally I would like to inquire as to the reliability and the general usability of the average new ferrari, unless I'm misquoting I believe Ferrari offers a 24 month/unlimited mileage warranty on all new vehicles, and given that other car marques such as Porsche, Mercedes and BMW offer a multitude of vehicles reliable and servicable enough for daily use, I was wondering if a new Ferrari would also be of that standard and that the duration of it's realiability was such that it would/would not need to be replaced for a newer model at the end of the 24 month period to remain problem free?

I am not sure of current new models. Sorry.

Thank you very much for your time and insight into my query, my best regards to you all and your fine automobiles

On a personal account, I suggest making enquiry directly to any local dealer will assist you in the most efficient manner. And it is a ferrari dealer, expect just the most friendly gesture ever.

#4 ·
Wow Magnum you have the exact same questions I do. I can't wait 2 years for a car to be built, I am very impatient. But I wonder if I must pay $250K instead of $200K just to have it now instead of waiting for 2 years.

When I buy my 360 I will drive it often. I can maintainence my own car, no problem there. I hope they are reliable, I hear Lamborghini is not reliable at all. If they are as reliable as my Supras then I am in for a treat, but I will be surprised if they are that reliable.

Regards,

Dusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.