Registered
5,082 Posts
need to check it out better
but he could use a pictures section with cars sorted on s/n :D

and also a s/n dbase of confirmed GTE's that still excist

·
Registered
244 Posts
What a great website! There should be more of those around :)

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
13 Posts
need to check it out better
but he could use a pictures section with cars sorted on s/n :D
I'm working on it! Should be up in October. I have a lot of other ideas for the site, but am open for suggestions. Not too technical though, as I am new to this website stuff...

and also a s/n dbase of confirmed GTE's that still excist
Bill Preston of the 250 GTE Register has that information and we have talked about putting it online. Unfortunately, neither of us has the technical knowhow to do so. Maybe sometime in the future, but until then, an email to him at [email protected] will get you the information you seek

·
Registered
9 Posts
117 S

I just added a new section with maintenance tips and information (http://ferrari250gte.com/resources/Maintenance.php). Check it out! If you have any articles or notes you would like to contribute, PM them to me and I will add them.
PLEASE,I have on my 195 inter Ferrari a 250 GTE (2+2) engine.N°4063 GT
Could you tell me if the rear axle and the Gear box are also parts of the 250 GTE ?
4063GT S2 ,was sold originaly to the Swiss Peter Monteverdi in (1962 ?)
N° of the rear axle E640 7X32 TYPE 508E600123
N0 of the gear box (?) type 508E 55719
Thank you.
Guy

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't actually know the correct id numbers for SN 4063, but we may be able to figure out if the parts are what should have been in that GTE. First of all, the numbers you gave us for the Gearbox and rear axle are not the ones we are looking for. The number you gave for the gearbox is the manufacturers number and it was poured with the case. It is identical to the number on my Series III GTE (# 4247), and I would assume all GTE's of that vintage. The number you gave on the gearbox is similar to mine, but not identical.

The number we really need was stamped on by the Ferrari factory and was unique to each car. On the axle, it is to the left of the drain plug, as viewed from the rear of the car. I have tried to attach a photo of mine to show you what I mean. It is my understanding that the number 66/63 means that it was the 66th axle used in 1963.

The Gearbox number is on the top of the gearbox, on top of a protrusion on the driver's side. If you cannot remove the leather transmission cover to read it, you will have to stick a mirror up from under the car and fish around. That is, unless it is like my car and completely covered in oil, grease and dirt. It should be close to the number of the axle, but not necessarily the same.

Once you have these numbers, get them to me and I will ask around to see if anyone recognizes them. The telio guys seem to have lots of sources for this stuff. I also know that Ed Niles used to own 4063 (for parts) when it had a Cadillac engine. By the way, according to the GTE Register, the "body, interior drivetrain and possibly transmission" was for sale in 1990. Doesn't say if it was a Cadillac or Ferrari drivetrain though.

You also may want to contact Ferrari with those numbers and see if they can be of any help. They used to be quite helpful, that is before they had a program where they could charge for this info. Once I had all my numbers, they sent me a PDF of the build sheet. It confirmed that my car is original and kind of cool to look at.

Where are you located? I know we all would like to see the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
By the way, the number to the right of the drain plug on the axle is the gear ratio. This is not very helpful, as even though Ferrari said they offered two different axles for the GTE, this is the only one they ever used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
117s

Hi Guy, welcome to the site:thumbup:
I'm sorry I can't help with any info, but I hope you don't mind me asking - are you the very lucky gentleman that owns 0117S??
If so, how is she coming along & please could you post some pics?
Very many thanks, Al.

Al, Don't sorry, Bill Preston confirmed me that rear axle and gear box were together 250 GTE parts.
Yes I own 117S; the car come back home the last week,it was for two months ago to the coachbuilder : The old paint ( more 40 years) has been conserved and it look very well, like a new paint.
Please found three pics.
Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't actually know the correct id numbers for SN 4063, but we may be able to figure out if the parts are what should have been in that GTE. First of all, the numbers you gave us for the Gearbox and rear axle are not the ones we are looking for. The number you gave for the gearbox is the manufacturers number and it was poured with the case. It is identical to the number on my Series III GTE (# 4247), and I would assume all GTE's of that vintage. The number you gave on the gearbox is similar to mine, but not identical.

Tom,
my gearbox number is 732 - E
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
117s

Absolutely fantastic!
She looks super & it's so nice to see her being conserved rather than restored.
Do you plan to use her regularly?
I really hope you enjoy the car to the full.
Many thanks & best wishes, Al.
Please find pics of 117S,my coachbuilder work well,it is not the same car,no???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts